Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Belly and love handles page

CRise is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Hello everyone. Just looking for a bit of insight on what to expect from those who have already been in my shoes.

I am new to primal. Just finished completed first week, overall its been great. I was just looking for a bit of insight as to what I should look to do for my goals. I carry 90% of my excess weight in love handles and a bit of a belly.

I know that points to insulin resistance. Is there anything in particular aside from following the PB to really work on losing in that area? I am really looking to shed this fat, and see this muscle I have built and hope to continue building.

Thank you for any help or insight on what to expect on this new turn around in my life.

GrockinOut is offline Senior Member

Hey and welcome to the forums!

When you say following the PB you just mean the style of eating or are you incorporating the work out ideas as well?

Keeping your carbs in check will help, try shooting for under 100.

Sprint 2x a week, lift heavy things, and do a lot of walking, easy bike riding, and resting.

make sure you eat enough fat, it should be 60-70 percent of calories are from fat

i have only been doing this for a couple of weeks, and have been trying to gain weight, but i hope this helps!

Prowler Guest

I'm in the same boat as you are. Belly and love handles. I've heard the thing about insulin resistance as well.

I would suggest going very-low-carb, and once you are adapted to that, incorporating some Intermittent Fasting. Both of these things (VLC and IF) are said to improve insulin sensitivity. IF is also a great way to promote fat burning. But I wouldn't try IF until you're adapted to VLC.

Sterling is offline Member

CRise: You have to be in a calorie deficit. Make sure you are taking in less than you are burning. That's the ONLY way to get rid of excess fat, i.e. lower belly fat and love handles. As a very general rule, 12 calories/lb will give you fat loss calories per day.

Prowler Guest

Yes, what I meant to say in my post is that IF is a good way to achieve a caloric deficit without having to count calories constantly.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

Try cutting out all dairy and nuts.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

dfast is offline Member

I can offer no scientific evidence for what I am about to say, however, I generally find it easier to lose fat from those areas when I increase my fish oil intake (as well as lowering my carbs etc.). IF is good too, definitely.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member

If you really must cut calories do it through IF. If you just cut daily calories your metabolism will drop to accommodate the reduced energy intake. I don't believe you need to cut calories if your carbs are low enough.

dfast is offline Member

I second jo on that one; please see my post here for an example:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ng-observation...

CRise is offline Junior Member

Thank you to everyone for your responses, for a bit more info. Like I said I am new to the PB. This is now my second week. As far as activity goes, I have a very physically demanding job where I am constantly lifting and pushing/pulling heavy stuff around, outside. I lift weights 2-3 times a week, I follow a powerlifting program designed for lifting heavy things and getting strong, if interested look up Jim Wendler's 5/3/1. And lastly I get right out of bed drink a big cup of water then go out and either do some steady walking or sprint or just jog, i mix it up to how I feel.

Been lifting the right way for about 6 months, got back to walking in the a.m. about a month and a half ago, and went PB a week ago tuesday. I also do tend to throw a fast in there every now and then, but I am going to make it a bit more of a staple to kickstart this burning of the "handles".

THanks again everyone, for welcoming me and the support...I look forward to the changes ahead, I struggled the first week here and there, going through the low carb blues and some negativity from the S.O, but Im done with that and she is now in my corner so no where to go but up from from here, or down when it comes to bodyfat.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast