Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some lunch/dinner ideas? page

Gadsie is offline Senior Member

Some lunch/dinner ideas?

Primal Fuel
    I have been eating 2-3 eggs with ground meat or bacon and cheese and onion for lunch for a very long time now
    Also dinner always consists out of some kind of fried meat and vegetables and most of the time some sweet potatoes.

It's getting a little boring, any different ideas?

Rhonda the Red is offline Junior Member
    Today, my daughter and I turned some leftover roast pork and half a bag of coleslaw cabbage into a ripoff of Mark's Vietnamese sandwich recipe. I sauteed the slaw mix in coconut oil until it softened up a little, then tossed in some sliced almonds. Then I mixed in the chopped pork and some rice wine vingegar, sesame oil, and oyster sauce for kick. It was really delicious and took maybe six minutes to throw together. It was a nice change from the stir fry we usually make since it was cabbage based. It was also a nice change from a salad.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    I make breakfast muffins every few weeks. Put sausage in muffin tin, cover with chopped vegetables as desired, bake @350 10 min, beat eggs and pour over, bake 20 minutes. Similar ingredients but a different texture. For tonight's dinner (do you do dairy and potatoes?), we're doing a "breakfast caserole". Hashbrowns, sausage, grated cheese, butter, sour cream, eggs mixed up and baked for 1 hour @350. I precooked the sausage.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Are you OK with eating white potatoes? White-rice-based dishes too are good for a growing lad.

Chowder's a very nutritious dish - it's a milk-based stew with celery and onion fried in butter, chilli powder, smoked fish, white potatoes, and optional various other seafood, fresh herbs, veggies and some bacon. I can give you a basic recipe if you are interested. It's fun and easy to experiment with.

Other versatile basic recipes that I would recommend are Italian risotto and Spanish paella.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Are you OK with eating white potatoes? White-rice-based dishes too are good for a growing lad.

Chowder's a very nutritious dish - it's a milk-based stew with celery and onion fried in butter, chilli powder, smoked fish, white potatoes, and optional various other seafood, fresh herbs, veggies and some bacon. I can give you a basic recipe if you are interested. It's fun and easy to experiment with.

Other versatile basic recipes that I would recommend are Italian risotto and Spanish paella.
    That recipe would be nice
    And I don't know, should I be ok with eating white potatoes?

Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    That recipe would be nice
    And I don't know, should I be ok with eating white potatoes?
    Yes - you will probably be OK with white potatoes, but you might want to remove the skins (as that's where the antinutrients are).

I used to make chowder with new potatoes with the skin on. I'm only cautious about white potatoes as I'm intolerant to other members of the deadly nightshade family such as tomatoes and aubergines. However, I seem to tolerate white potatoes and sweet bell peppers fine, so I eat those in moderation.

Cool - I will post a recipe for chowder later... as I have some other stuff to catch up on first.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Chowder (2-3 servings)

3-4 sticks of celery, chopped small
    1 large onion, finely chopped
    1 large orange or yellow bell pepper, chopped small
    2 cups fresh cilantro leaves
    4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    300 g baby new potatoes, halved
    250 g smoked haddock or smoked cod snipped into small chunks about 1.5 cm by 1.5 cm with a pair of scissors
    250 g medium sized cooked prawns/shrimps
    1 - 1.5 pints full-fat milk
    2-3 tbsp butter, to taste
    1-2 teaspoons Chilli powder or fresh chillies to taste
    2 teaspoons vegetable bouillon powder
    100 - 150 g pieces of fried bacon to taste

In a big pan, fry the celery and onions in the butter for a few minutes and then add the chopped pepper and 1- 2 teaspoons mild chilli powder or finely chopped fresh chillis, to taste. Fry for a further 5 minutes. Add the milk and and vegetable bouillon powder and new pototoes and stir well. Simmer gently for approx 15 minutes, topping up with more milk or boiling water as required, until potatoes are nearly cooked. Add in the smoked fish pieces and simmer for another 3 minutes. Add the prawns, bacon, fresh garlic , stir well, add any further seasoning to taste (salt, black pepper). Simmer for a further 2 minutes, until the fish is cooked and going flakey. Add the fresh cilantro and stir in well. Take off the heat and leave to stand for 4 mins minutes, stirring occasionally .
    Variations: add mussels, clams, zucchini, leeks, fresh peas, fresh flat leaf parsley, fresh chives, cream. This is a very flexible recipe - the base recipe is the celery, onion, chilli, milk, stock, potatoes and smoked fish. You could also use fresh fish stock or chicken stock instead of veggie stock, reduce the amount of milk used, and top up with cream. It tastes great re-heated the following day, as that gives all the flavours plenty of time to mingle.

(This is essentially Sophie Grigson's basic recipe with my twist of using fresh cilantro - I saw her demo cooking this at Bristol's Food and Wine Festival a few years ago)

Sassy is offline Senior Member
    Wrap chicken thighs with bacon and grill them (or bake), and then smoosh fresh avocado over the top.

Grill portabello mushrooms with a slice of canadian bacon and a slice of provolone cheese melted on top

Stir fried kale (with garlic, olive oil, a little sesame oil and some tamari) and either eat it that way, or served over white rice.
    Sassy: Revised - my primal log

ueritaGro is offline Junior Member
    I sauteed the slaw mix in coconut oil until it softened up a little

Guy
    Guy is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello!

I've been doing this recipe for a while and it's easy and delicious. It's chicken quesadilla

Enjoy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast