Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Plateaued after only a week??? page 3

Panthek is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Yeah, I was just worried that I pretty much hadn't lost anything for 5 days (eating for the most part in the 'effortless' category), but I'll give it more time and lower the carbs even further...

So, I guess my only question then regarding the carbs is if additional exercise doesn't allow for more carbs, but still weight loss? If I'm exercising more than PB recommends (a 'compromise&#39, wouldn't that then mean I can eat more carbs yet still lose the same or more than someone following the typical PB exercise recommendations and eating the same # of carbs?

Griff is offline Senior Member

Stop using the scale! The scale is notoriously inaccurate. Use how your clothes are fitting, what your measurements look like, how you feel, how you're sleeping as indicators of success, not a number on the scale. If you must weigh, only do it once a month.

And the more carbs you eat, the harder it will be to lose weight, regardless. Go zero-carb, or as close to it as possible, for a while. Trying to have more of something that's bad for you is not a smart thing to do, is it?

Also, it's not a plateau until it's gone on for eight weeks.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

Motivation ... you need results after a week to keep up your motivation?

How hard IS living Primal, after all? The food is yummy, you sleep well, after the initial adjustment you usually have no particular cravings --- why should continuing need all that much motivation?

Now a low-fat low-calorie diet with carbs in bitty frequent portions, making the famine alarm bells ring with deafening ferocity -- THAT needs motivation to continue!

I'd say -- give yourself time to get used to the food, work out recipes, rest up from chronic cardio injuries, slowly change your workouts, and then in 6 months look back over it all and see how far you've come and whether there's anything more you need to change.

You want lighter legs so you can run marathons better? Well, maybe you need to do that. How many marathons do you wish to run? Can you remember when you set that goal, and what motivated you at the time? Maybe after a year or two of other fitness and health achievements you might have different standards for what constitutes success? I see some of those videos of people in five-fingers running around the woods, or doing nearly unbelievable slow gymnastics using all of their incredibly strong bodies. It's awfully impressive. Jumping around rocks and logs, vaulting over fences, running barefoot ... it all seems like it would be a lot of fun. All the agility and energy. Perhaps that might be more fun than slogging through mile 26? Or not ... we all are different.

I assume you're a fairly young person? It ironic, but usually young people feel a terrible urgency, while the most elderly seem to feel they have all the time in the world.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

If you exercise more that PB recommends it depends on what type of exercise we're talking about here.

If you are a runner and you're trying to loose FAT, you'll find that your exercise regimen that most runners are used to would be completely counter-productive to what you're trying to do.

It also sounds like you're body hasn't adjusted to the switch yet. When you eat very low-carb. high fat, mod. protein, your body should not feel tired or drained prior to your work-outs. If it does, it means your body is still used to using carbs to fuel itself up. Once it switches to burning fat for fuel, you will feel completely different.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

Little of topic and not intended to offend any marathon hard-corers, but from an esthetical point of view I think a physique of so many people on this forum who are into primal ways of exercising, like piano-doctor-lady is talking about, is so much more attractive than that of a hard-core marathon runner or hard-core body-builder.

As a side note, I know many marathon runners and many body-builder (my best friend owns a gym where we hang out all the time), and so I had a lot to compare to.

Plus, all the primal way of exercising are just so much more fun. It's basically play all the time.

@Griff, wasn't trying to exercise a lot just so I can 'up' my carbs, but I find eating less than 50g is difficult. From what I gathered from reading PB, most days should be LOTS of veggies, some meat, and fat. If you eat veggies beyond just salad greens, the carbs do start to add up, and I find it's easy to surpass 50g. In no way do I intend to eat 'junk' carbs, but was PB really intended to be zero-carb, or close to it? Unless I completely understood Mark's message, most PB diets should contain LOTS of veggies, some nuts, etc., all of which contain carbs. I'll try to stop looking at the scale so much...just an old habit that's hard to break, I guess.

@Piano-Doctor-Lady, I don't think I will have motivation isuses in a few weeks (I hope), but so far, I can't honestly say that I DO feel better on PB...maybe, hopefully, that will change when I get better adapted. That's all I meant by motivation...hard to force new habits on yourself when you don't see the light at the end of the tunnel (yet).

And I am one of those 'weirdos' who enjoys running long-distances, not because I think it's 'healthier' than other forms of exercise, but simply because I enjoy it. I'm not one of those run/walk 5-hour marathoners, I'm a three-hour marathoner, with significant goals (before I got injured, at least). I'm still holding out hope that I can become an even better runner, but being light is definitely part of that equation!

@panthek: That's for after you've reached your goal weight. Until you do, cutting back on carbs works to get you there. Let's see a sample daily menu and I'll bet you'll get some good feedback.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Okie Dokie! Here's from Wednesday, for example (I'm away from home for a week, so I've had to eat out more often than I'd like, but...)

B: Protein shake (after workout), 110 cals, 4 CHO, 17 protein, 3 fat

L: Chipotle burrito bowl w/steak, lettuce, salsa, guac, veggies, cheese, 660 cals, 32 CHO (might be lower than this, but I think their guac scoops are really two servings, not one, and have been counting them as such!), 46 protein, 42 fat

S: 1/4-cup macademia nuts, 230 cals, 4.5 CHO, 2.6 protein, 24.7 fat

D: Boston Market quarter-chicken, 2 servings green beans, fish oil, calcium (can't make myself swallow the horsepills, so take the 'Tums' version instead, which has a tiny bit of sugar...), 440 cals, 18.5 CHO, 48.5 protein, 21.5 fat

So, total is 57% fat (93.2g), 12% CHO (59 g), 31% protein (114g). I also lifted for ~30 minutes, and ran roughly 5 miles.

TenYearStorm Guest

Watch out for the omega-6 in the restaurant stuff. Am I correct in assuming you don't eat out every day?

The alleged reason that nuts stall progress is the 06 so maybe that could become a potential problem (though I still think it is too early to tell)

Way too many carbs and not nearly enough fat - not if your goal is weight loss. Cut down on the green beans, the salsa, and the dairy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast