Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Plateaued after only a week??? page 2

iniQuity is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

@Prowler, tons of vegetables I'd say. Throw in an avocado or two and you can easily reach 100 I think...

I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Panthek is offline Junior Member

Yeah, I've been eating avocados (maybe I should cut back on those), and maybe an apple or berries some days, sometimes some nuts, so sometimes I get to 100g carbs. I'll try cutting back to 50g and see if that works.

Thanks!

AlexK is offline Junior Member

Also, just as another handy tip--I would only weigh yourself once a month to check up on your progress. Ideally on PB you should lose an average of 1-2 lbs per week. If you do high intensity strength training, you can boost that. If you're doing a lot of running, though, you can slow that weight loss down.

But the body naturally fluxes in weight between 3-4 pounds, so weighing yourself every day or even every week is just going to stress you out. Don't sweat it.

TenYearStorm Guest

Common suggestions for weight loss here include eliminating all dairy and nuts, doing very short, intense workouts, IF-ing sporadically and lowering carbs to under 100 or even 50. Make sure that you are counting total carbs not net carbs. The PB counts TOTAL carbs so if you are eating 125 net you are probably exceeding the 100-150 maintenance zone. The fat loss zone is between 50 and 100 TOTAL.

@Primal JAK--Just wondering, why would running slow the weight loss down? I'm not running fast (so it ALMOST could count as the 'move slowly' component Mark mentions...10-11min pace). I thought, if anything, it would speed weight loss up b/c 1) burning more calories, and 2) if running long distances, could potentially be catabolic, and therefore burning muscle tissue (not ideal, but if it's 'extra' muscle that will only weigh me down running, I'm not that opposed...I have A LOT of leg muscle compared to most runners...I'd also never heard the bit about running reducing insulin sensitivity...again, I thought it'd be the opposite? If you're glycogen-depleted, and running, wouldn't your insulin sensitivity almost become hypersensitive due to the lack of carbs???

Thanks for the tips! I was definitely counting total carbs, not Net, but I'll shoot for under 50 total carbs and see if that helps.

How often would IF-ing (the 24-hr variety) be productive/safe? If IF-ed for 24 hours maybe 3 times a week, is that too much???

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member

I think how often you weigh yourself depends a bit on your personality. I read some research not long ago that said that the more often people weighed themselves the more weight they lost. Now I know some people find daily weigh ins too stressful, in which case only do it once a week if you find that easier. I take a daily reading, write it down and look at the weekly trends. I have read recently that a good idea is to take daily readings and then average them over the week. These evens out daily fluctuations and also avoids those times when you weekly weigh-in coincides with a 'heavy' day, which of course would mean it will take a whole week to find out if this is a trend or a blip.

I personally couldn't wait a month to weigh in because if the trend is up I want to get on to it earlier than later.

It is a personal choice though.

AlexK is offline Junior Member

Panthek,

Low intensity exercise actually doesn't deplete glycogen stores, because it rarely stimulates the fast twitch muscles. Additionally, you're usually still metabolizing aerobically using the Krebs cycle, meaning that your body doesn't need to tap as much glycogen.

However, low intensity running WILL stress and damage the slow twitch fibers, so you end up with the worst of both worlds--you're not emptying glycogen stores to stimulate lipase production to destroy fat AND you damage and lose muscle tissue.

High intensity strength training is the best way to build muscle and stimulate fat loss. It's okay to do some running here and there in ADDITION to HIT, (especially sprints), but if jogging or long distance running is your only exercise, you'll find it's counter-productive, because even if you do lose fat (which you can just do to caloric deficit), you're not building a foundation for increased metabolic activity or strength.

Brit is offline Junior Member

I recommend the next time you're out, stop by Barnes & Noble or something and pick-up the "Primal Blueprint". I read a lot of GREAT stuff here on the forum, but the book is a great "go-to" with a lot of the questions that are asked all over the forum.

It is good, though, to get opinions from everyone, because everyone is different. Like others have said, drop to less than 50g of carbs per day. If you're having trouble counting, use www.fitday.com .

It's free and it helped me a lot. The way you exercise is also VERY important.

Good luck.........and buy the book...

@Brti, I have actually read the book (read it before I started doing PB), but still left me with some grey areas (e.g., what to do if you plateau while eating low-carbs, but maybe I just missed those pointers). And I am using a calorie/carb counter (CalorieKing's PC software), so I'm definitely not eating over the 'weight-loss sweetspot' carbs and definitely am under maintenance calories, but I'm going to try getting down to 50g carbs or below to (hopefully) speed up the weight loss.

@PrimalJAK, I definitely have added high-intensity strength training (actually, was doing that before I started PB too). So, I'm not just running. I made the assumption (possibly incorrect), that I'm running in a glycogen-depleted state. Even my 'slow' runs are difficult now (I'm assuming because I have no glycogen left), and I definitely couldn't do a tempo run now if my life depended on it, lol!

Low- and moderate-intensity running still uses glycogen stores (for example, marathon runners run aerobically and use high levels of glycogen--this is why they need to supplement with carbs during the race to avoid 'bonking&#39. It's true high-intensity uses a higher ratio of carbs/fat, but low-intensity still uses carbs, so assuming I'm starting every run essentially 'bonked', or very close to it, shouldn't this activity then burn primarily fat, and thereby increase weight loss??? Sorry, I guess I'm just confused about this...

I actually am in a position where I don't WANT to gain muscle, because that would increase weight, and hinder my running. I primarily want to lose fat (and if I lose a little muscle along with, I'm actually OK with that, for the reason listed above). I have WAY more muscle (especially lower-body) than your average runner, so shedding some wouldn't be a bad idea (not saying I'm aiming for muscle loss, but my legs could stand to get a little lighter, lol!).

Brit is offline Junior Member

Great! So you know that 50-100g carbs/day is "effortless weight loss" and less than 50g is "rapid weight loss". So you already knew the answer to your question?

It seems like you want to lose weight fast, but you said you were eating "less than 125g (most days below 100g)". That in the maintenance (no loss) to effortless weight loss. So you're not going to lose weight or you'll lose, but not fast.

Keep it under 50g and see what happens...

Good luck!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast