Thread: Red Filter for Maglite page

Lewis is offline Senior Member

Red Filter for Maglite

This may be useful for some. If you've managed to get your bedroom really dark and you do get up during the night, so that you don't fall over something you might use a Maglite AA or something of the sort. Now if you put a red filter over the lens, the wrong hormone cascade won't go off, as would happen if you used white light.

This little kit has the red filter in:

Amazon.com: MAGLITE AM2A016 Mini AA Flashlight Accessory Pack: Home Improvement

Mini Maglite 2-Cell AA Accessory Pack: Amazon.co.uk: Lighting

Otherwise, I guess you could stick some red cellophane over the lens.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    This is a new advantage to red light! I've used them to observe nocturnal catfish, and have read that certain other animals just plain can't see it. And I use a red heat lamp sometimes to stay warm in the winter. But now I have another reason to like red light.

Thanks, Lewis! You're one of the few around here who make it a point to consistently add to our collective practical knowledge.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Red hurts my eyes.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    A piece of cellophane and an elastic band is much cheaper. If you have to buy a whole packet you can always use the excess to wrap present.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

mosin46 is offline Senior Member
    good info. i think all the LEDS are playing hell with my sleep. impossible to block all of them. just close the comp room door,but in a small house closing too many doors screws up AC air flow.

Quote Originally Posted by mosin46 View Post
    good info. i think all the LEDS are playing hell with my sleep. impossible to block all of them. just close the comp room door,but in a small house closing too many doors screws up AC air flow.
    According to the Lights Out authors, among others, they're enough to do that.

They suggest covering them with masking tape.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I've been trying to eliminate all ectronic lights an hour before bedtime - even brushing my teeth by candlelight! I think I'll have to run out and get some red celleophane. Does it work as well as the regular blue light filters specifically designed for computer screens? I can't believe I didn't think to do this before.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    I've been trying to eliminate all ectronic lights an hour before bedtime - even brushing my teeth by candlelight! I think I'll have to run out and get some red celleophane. Does it work as well as the regular blue light filters specifically designed for computer screens? I can't believe I didn't think to do this before.
    f.lux seems to be balanced, by default, for 3400 K at nighttime. Table of values here if your want an idea of where that falls. (It's written up for camera film, but does for the purpose):

Kelvin Color Temperatures

I only mentioned the cellophane as an idea in case someone was interested but hadn't a flashlight that would take either a filter or a colored bulb. I guess cellophane would be a little fiddly to fit, might tend to buckle up, and would get in the way if you had an end-part that focused the beam (as with the Maglite), but it'd be better than nothing, and so long as the beam looks red it should be doing its job.