Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best workout for gaining speed. page

garod82 is offline Senior Member

Best workout for gaining speed.

Shop Now
    I want to be faster and was wondering what teh best method is for gaining speed. I've always been big and slow but I've leaned out and gained muscle and I know I'm faster than I once was but I"m still pretty slow. Any suggestions?

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by garod82 View Post
    I want to be faster and was wondering what teh best method is for gaining speed. I've always been big and slow but I've leaned out and gained muscle and I know I'm faster than I once was but I"m still pretty slow. Any suggestions?
    http://www.dragondoor.com/articles/t...g/default.aspx
    Increasing Speed – Interview with Jon Goodwin — Patrick Ward, MS CSCS LMT

garod82 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, I'll check it out.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    I can only speak for personal experience but I have found that HIT style training really decreased my mile time.

JimmyDamage is online now Senior Member
    If you want to run fast... then run fast! Get a sprint workout in once per week. You will start sprinting faster and your mile time will drop.

Goldsmith is offline Senior Member
    I'd recommend sprinting and plyometrics.
    "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
    - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    i think this is pretty self-explanatory, right? if you want to get better at something, then do it. if you want to run faster, then run faster. focus on sprinting workouts and maybe toss in some plyometrics workouts like goldsmith said. it doesn't seem like you're in a position to do any sort of advanced speed drills yet

tplank is offline Senior Member
    Yup. I'd also add hill workouts. As a slow big guy who is still slow by real runner standards, I knocked over a minute/mile off my 10K pace using uphill sprints, and shorter hill runs. I'll never be fast, but I've seen steady improvement.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Depends on what kind of speed we're talking about. For martial artists, speed is more mental.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Bobert is offline Senior Member
    Good stuff with Barry Ross. Does he have a different protocol with jumping higher?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast