Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prepping veggies page 2

mayness is offline Senior Member

I rinse everything, and if it's obvious they have that waxy coating on them to make them look shiny (like supermarket apples, cucumbers, eggplants, etc) I gently scrub them with a clean sponge that I save for that purpose. If it says it's pre-washed (lettuce in bags, some mushrooms) I usually trust it, which may or may not be a good idea.

I'm pretty sure those detergents they sell for washing veggies are a waste. I wouldn't mind one of those veggie cleaning brushes, though.

I don't really do anything different with organic.. except that I don't peel organic carrots, while I do peel conventional ones.

"mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

mayness is offline Senior Member

iniQuity, I blanch veggies when I&#39;m going to be freezing them, but I&#39;ve never done it just to store them in the &#39;fridge. I don&#39;t know whether they&#39;d keep longer like that, or raw.

"mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

MmmFat is offline Senior Member

For most of my veggies (broc, lettuce, etc.) I cut them then soak them in my salad spinner with water and some white vinegar for 5-10 mintues. (I think I heard somewhere that the expensive produce wash was just dilluted vinegar?) With veggies I peel (carrots, cukes, etc.) I may or may not give them a quick rinse first. When I eat apples or use citrus for zest, I tend to use just a teeny bit of soap on them because of the waxy coating. (Although with apples, I&#39;ve definitely just wiped them on my shirt and eaten them.)

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." -- Virginia Woolf

Athena is offline Senior Member

I always sautee veggies in bacon grease. Its absolutely delicious

Brit is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I like to grill my veggies....WITH CHARCOAL, not gas. It gives it a better flavor. A splash or EVOO or butter and some sea or kosher salt.

....I think I&#39;m gonna go light some charcoal...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12