Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time going 7 miles in Merrell Barefoot Shoes - fantastic! page

Dirlot is offline Senior Member

First time going 7 miles in Merrell Barefoot Shoes - fantastic!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey I know they are not as cool as the vff but I have been wearing them to work for the last few weeks and my legs and hips feel great. I always lifted barefoot and they have given me an option of barefooting in a semi-formal environment.

Today was a beautiful day so decided to take a 7 mile walk around the riverside and park system here in Edmonton. This was my first distance trek in the Merrells and I don't think I could ever go back to "normal" shoes on easy to moderate terrain.

If you have not yet done so get yourself some barefoot shoes it may take time to strengthen your feet but you will not regret it.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Metric is offline Senior Member
    I agree. I LOVE my VFF. Normal running shoes are NOT NEARLY as comfortable.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Summer's coming around here; and I've been able to take advantage of small opportunities to go fully barefoot. It's a totally awesome feeling, when I can do this. I've run on grass, and concrete (provided there's nothing to cut up my feet). I, as much as possible, refuse to wear any conventional shoe. I don't miss the foot pain I was having; or, the need to constantly shift my shoe around for greater comfort, because my feet are too wide. Surprisingly enough, the Vibrams fit PERFECTLY. Though I strap it a little too tight, I find it uber comfortable, still.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Quote Originally Posted by lssanjose View Post
    I don't miss the foot pain I was having; or, the need to constantly shift my shoe around for greater comfort, because my feet are too wide. Surprisingly enough, the Vibrams fit PERFECTLY.
    I'm flat-footed. I hear you on the wide feet I live in the downtown core, too many sharp things to step on, but VFF's offer a great alternative.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric View Post
    I'm flat-footed. I hear you on the wide feet I live in the downtown core, too many sharp things to step on, but VFF's offer a great alternative.
    how has the VFF helped your flat feet? My ex is flat footed; and had often complained of sore feet; shoe discomfort; and so on. She had tried every shoe under the sun: SAS brand, Z-Coil; and regular running shoes.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

I've only just bought them a bit ago, but every time that I have worn them, my feet aren't sore, no shin splints and I have yet to twist my ankles (a very regular occurrence with non-VFF shoes.)

zilog is offline Senior Member
    I bought some Merrel trail gloves for running/sprinting and they are excellent. Considering getting a pair of the all-black shoes they do as work shoes to wear all day!

Silky is offline Senior Member
    Hi I recently bought the Merrel pace glove (couldn't get my toes into the VFFs!).
    I've started wearing them for my walk to and from work. (Just over a mile each over).

Question: Have you purposely changed the way you foot strike? i.e. purposely walking with a mid-strike first. I find I default to heel striking if I don't pay attention.

However it has only been a week. I had very sore calves and thighs the first week so I took a couple of days off and work my usual trainers instead - but not so bad this week.
    My photo diary of my primal diet on wordpress

My primal journal on MDA.

zilog is offline Senior Member
    Question: Have you purposely changed the way you foot strike? i.e. purposely walking with a mid-strike first. I find I default to heel striking if I don't pay attention.
    I currently only wear them for running and if you adopt a POSE style running technique i.e. higher cadence with smaller steps then I naturally mid-strike. This also works whilst walking but to be honest I would not be worried about heel striking while walking because there will be so much less stress on the foot.
    However it has only been a week. I had very sore calves and thighs the first week so I took a couple of days off and work my usual trainers instead - but not so bad this week.
    This is perfectly normal. Just keep wearing them until your legs become used to using the extra muscles. It took about 3 weeks of regular running for me. My calves etc have been fine ever since.

JerryBme is offline Junior Member
    I work in a business attire environment (suit and tie) and ditched my dress shoes for the Vivabarefoot black Ra a year ago. Now if I wear anything with a heel, it feels uncomfortable and unstable. VIVOBAREFOOT | The original barefoot shoe | Barefoot Running | Barefoot Shoes | Ra | Ra Pull Up Leather Black I also have the the brown version. I's like wearing slippers to work (even worn them with a tux).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast