Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coconut oil brands page

NATROCK1 is offline Junior Member

Coconut oil brands

Hi, I'm a newbie, and I'm enjoying being primal for a couple of weeks now; I'm taking better care of myself now than I have in a VERY long time. I was reading a past post on coconut oil on this forum, and it said that the "LouAna" brand is inferior. I *assumed* they were all pretty much the same, but, it's OK . . . I'm still learning. Anyway, I'm looking for a recommendation on a reasonably-priced brand/deal. Has anyone tried the following brands, and if so, what are their thoughts? Does anyone know if "virgin" is better preferred on primal than "expeller pressed"?

Wilderness Family Naturals
    Coconut Oil Wilderness Family Naturals

Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
    Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, 54-Ounce Containers (Pack of 2): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Dr. Bronner's Fresh Pressed Virgin Coconut Oil
    Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps: History: Overview

Thanx for your help, and best of health to all!
    natrock1

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    I recommend soaperschoice.com. I got a 7lbs jug for 32 bucks, with 8 bucks, and change shipping.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

JWBooth is offline Senior Member
    Virgin is unrefined, so it is probably preferable. Refined Coconut oil doesn't taste or smell like coconuts, which can be good for certain dishes or baking, but you'd want to be careful about the supplier you use for that. The easiest way to refine coconut oil is through chemical solvents, which you don't want. If you can abide the taste and smell of Virgin Coconut oil, that is the way you should go.

I usually get the 365 brand of Virgin Coconut Oil at Whole Foods. Very pleasing taste and about $7 for a 16 oz bottle. Dr. Bronners was on sale one day and I stocked up on them, and found that just as good to slightly better (was it really better tasting or was it just the more attractive label fooling me? Unfortunately I had no 365 brand on hand to do a blind taste test) but at $11 a pop for the same 16 oz at regular pricing, I don't find it a particularly good bargain and only buy when discounted. Nutvia is similar in taste to Whole Foods' 365 brand. Just note there is nothing "Extra" about their "Extra Virgin" Coconut Oil. Coconut Oil is either virgin or refined. Their "Extra Virgin" oil is the same as everybody else's "Virgin". They are just confusingly adding in a term of art specific to the Olive Oil to make you more comfortable with an oil that in the West is still relatively unfamiliar.

@lssanjose:
    WOW--this is REALLY reasonable (and only $6 S&H, too!!!)!! I had heard other people using soapmaking websites for coconut oil, but, I didn't know anyone doing Paleo/Primal if they used it and how they liked it. Thanx!!!

@JWBooth:
    Thank you for your recommendations and information. I didn't know "virgin" and "extra virgin" were the same; that's good to know, too. My sister bought the Dr. Bronner's (it was only $8 for the 16 oz. jar where she lives), and said it was REALLY good; creamy and fragrant.

I appreciate your comments, thank you, both.
    NATROCK1
    Last edited by NATROCK1; 05-13-2012 at 09:04 PM.

Pinup is offline Member
    I usually buy Nutiva from iherb, which has the best price I've found. I tried Tropical traditions and both jars went rancid wayyy before their dates. Recently I purchased Trader Joe's coconut oil, and I like it as much as the Nutiva, so I'll be getting that from now on. The Nutiva is about $28 for 54 oz, and the TJs is $7 for 16.

Popcornsally is offline Junior Member
    I agree with JWBooth-- the Whole Foods house brand is relatively inexpensive, tastes great and is easy to get when I'm shopping there. I also bout that LouAna brand when I first started down this path because I didn't know any better. I had no coconut smell or taste. I still ended up using it for high heat cooking. It seemed to have a higher smoke point than the virgin CO. I wouldn't buy it again, but I'm too cheap to have tossed it in the trash.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinup View Post
    I tried Tropical traditions and both jars went rancid wayyy before their dates.
    Seriously?! I thought CO basically NEVER went rancid. I just got two pints of gold label from Tropical Traditions and it is delicious. I like it a little more than Nutiva, and I LOVE the taste of Nutiva. Guess I should store it in the fridge to be safe.

Have you been really careful about using a clean spoon/knife when getting out the oil? I ruined half a jar of red palm oil once by using a spoon that wasn't clean (got mold in it or something).

HavMom is offline Junior Member
    Dr Bonner's virgin Coconut oil is my favorite. Love it! Their soaps are great, too. Coconut oil has never gone rancid at our house. I could eat it by the spoonful. However, I usually put a spoonful in Vanilla Chai tea. I use it as a moisturizer and even put it on the ends of my hair. (My hair is long, and sometimes the ends feel dry.) Anyway Dr. Bonner's is great stuff!

Thank you, everyone, this is all VERY useful information! I won't throw away my LouAna; I, too, decided to use it for my hair and skin and cooking. And, someone I know said they thought their CO went rancid, too, and had a gross taste; it was a brand new jar, so there was no chance for contamination. THAT is a shame, considering what it costs!!! We don't have a Trader Joe's nearby at all here (BUMMER!!!!), but, the Nutiva brand is pretty well-sold brand around here. Not to ask a silly question, but, I don't know--does the processing that LouAna has to it remove all the beneficial properties that the virgin CO has?
    @lssanjose, how does the CO from the soaperschoice.com taste?

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by NATROCK1 View Post
    Thank you, everyone, this is all VERY useful information! I won't throw away my LouAna; I, too, decided to use it for my hair and skin and cooking. And, someone I know said they thought their CO went rancid, too, and had a gross taste; it was a brand new jar, so there was no chance for contamination. THAT is a shame, considering what it costs!!! We don't have a Trader Joe's nearby at all here (BUMMER!!!!), but, the Nutiva brand is pretty well-sold brand around here. Not to ask a silly question, but, I don't know--does the processing that LouAna has to it remove all the beneficial properties that the virgin CO has?
    @lssanjose, how does the CO from the soaperschoice.com taste?
    Like coconut oil. It's sold as Organic Virgin Coconut Oil. Well, the one I bought, anyways.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast