Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coconut oil brands page 2

Pinup is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Seriously?! I thought CO basically NEVER went rancid. I just got two pints of gold label from Tropical Traditions and it is delicious. I like it a little more than Nutiva, and I LOVE the taste of Nutiva. Guess I should store it in the fridge to be safe.

Have you been really careful about using a clean spoon/knife when getting out the oil? I ruined half a jar of red palm oil once by using a spoon that wasn't clean (got mold in it or something).
    Yeah, i have no idea how. It tasted like bile. I threw away the first nearly full jar, and cracked open the 2nd brand new one and it was exactly the same. Needless to say, i never ordered from them again.

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinup View Post
    Yeah, i have no idea how. It tasted like bile. I threw away the first nearly full jar, and cracked open the 2nd brand new one and it was exactly the same.
    Same here. There's something about the smell and taste of it that I really don't like (Smells like feet to me, not coconut!), and I'm trying to work through my TT gallon so I can go back to my other preferred brand. The gallon was better than the pints I originally purchased, but not by much.

boxcarguy07 is offline Senior Member
    Another vote for Dr. Bronner's. Best I've ever tried.
    I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I buy the Nutivia extra virgin organic online from vitacost.

lev96 is offline Member
    I love the taste of the Nutiva and use that regularly when I want more of that coconut taste. However, my wife doesn't love the taste of coconut, so for things that she also ate I tried the Wilderness Family Naturals "expeller pressed." It really just a neutral oil with very little taste/smell, but what I noticed was that it actually made better tasting roasted veggies than using Nutiva, bacon fat or olive oil. Compared to those, it just allows the sweeter flavors of the veggies to come through without interfering, and it may even reduce the bitterness comparatively a bit too. So I love both the Wilderness Family and the Nutiva, but i use them for different things.

Tropical Traditions Guest
    Tropical Traditions has been in the market longer than anyone, and we have never had a jar of coconut oil go rancid. It is nearly impossible, and would take probably 20 years or more. However, our Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil, which is actually recommended by Mark, is different from any other coconut oil on the market, because it is made by hand the traditional way. It is the highest quality oil we sell, but if you are used to mass-produced machine-made coconut oils, it will definitely taste different. Taste is subjective, however, and this oil has the highest levels of antioxidants of any of the coconut oils, verified by independent lab tests. It is most definitely not rancid.

Pinup is offline Member
    Oh. Then why did both of my jars taste and smell like puke? You can't seriously be trying to say it's how coconut oil is supposed to taste, and my unrefined tastebuds just don't know any better. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Pinup View Post
    Oh. Then why did both of my jars taste and smell like puke? You can't seriously be trying to say it's how coconut oil is supposed to taste, and my unrefined tastebuds just don't know any better. :-/
    I think we answered your question. Taste is subjective, and the Gold Label brand taste different than all other brands. How you describe that taste is your personal preference. Hundreds of thousands of other people describe it different. This product has been in the market longer than just about any other brand. It is not a new product. We carry four different types of coconut oil to cater to everyone's taste. But the Gold Label is the highest quality. You are free to contact us for a refund if you don't like it. But it is not rancid.
    Last edited by Tropical Traditions; 05-17-2012 at 07:01 PM.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tropical Traditions View Post
    I think we answered your question. Taste is subjective, and the Gold Label brand taste different than all other brands. How you describe that taste is your personal preference. Hundreds of thousands of other people describe it different. This product has been in the market longer than just about any other brand. It is not a new product. We carry four different types of coconut oil to cater to everyone's taste. But the Gold Label is the highest quality.
    I've never had the gold label. I mostly only buy gallons of organic palm shortening from you guys for my deep fryer. Tried using your toothpaste (not in the deep fryer. On my toothbrush), but the consistency wasn't to my liking.

But if you wanna send me a free sample of the gold label coconut oil, I'll volunteer to objectively eat huge spoonfuls thereof and post my review on this very thread for all to see.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I've never had the gold label. I mostly only buy gallons of organic palm shortening from you guys for my deep fryer. Tried using your toothpaste (not in the deep fryer. On my toothbrush), but the consistency wasn't to my liking.

But if you wanna send me a free sample of the gold label coconut oil, I'll volunteer to objectively eat huge spoonfuls thereof and post my review on this very thread for all to see.
    Again, taste is subjective, and we carry four different types of coconut oil which corresponds to anything else that is already in the market. The Gold Label brand has been around for over 10 years, and anyone can look up the reviews and testimonies on the Internet. There are thousands of them in places like Bizrate, Shopping.com, Pricegrabber, etc. Our objective with the Gold Label Virgin Coconut oil is to provide a traditional, hand-made coconut oil that is the highest quality coconut oil available. Many people use it for therapeutic values. Most people love the taste, others do not. But our objective is not to cater to everyone's taste. We can't do that anyway. Our objective is to provide the highest quality coconut oil possible, as research done in Sri Lanka, Malaysia, and our own testing in the Philippines shows that traditionally made wet-milled coconut oils have the highest levels of antioxidants. We offer refunds if people are not happy with it, but we request you start out with a pint first, and not a gallon or 5 gallon. Each batch is specially hand-crafted, and we do not want it to go to waste. But to say it is rancid is just not true.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast