Thread: got my first pair of barefoot shoes. is pain normal? page

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member

got my first pair of barefoot shoes. is pain normal?

Went for a 30 min walk yesterday and today and have some knee and quad pain. Is this a normal thing?

Will it hopefully pass?

I got a pair of nike free 3.0 v4s btw. Not quite straight up barefoot but close enough.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Not sure, I haven't tried the 3.0v4s. I think I had the v2.0 before. When I had them, I'm not sure if I did feel any kind of pain. After going through Vibrams, I do feel things quicker. If this is the case with you, then I suppose it's normal, particularly if you haven't really gone barefoot some, throughout your life. I'm not saying one had to be barefoot growing up, but it does help...
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Reindeer is offline Senior Member
    Yes. Yes it is normal. It is also a pretty bad thing to do if you keep it up... which is why such shoes usually comes with instruction manuals telling you NOT to take any long walks with them for a while. :P

You have to ease in to barefoot walking and/or forefoot striking or else you will risk injury. Such ways of walking will otherwise put strain on your muscles that normal shoes will protect you from. You will grow to handle these strains and get a stronger foot with time, but it will take some time... the same thing happened to me. I had some history of barefoot walking already so it wasn't that bad, but it still took me about a month to really ease into my vibrams.
    I'd suggest resting until the pain goes away, and then take up 5-10 min walks and increase from there unless you have walked barefoot before. See how much your feet can handle. Don't overdo it, and don't forget to stretch your feet and calves! It's well worth the initiation process, though, so good luck with your shoes!
    Last edited by Reindeer; 05-13-2012 at 10:16 AM.

snorth is offline Junior Member
    I started with VFFs a little over a year ago. I only used them when traveling and running on the hotel treadmill. For several months, I never went over a couple of miles, probably averaging about 1/week. Over time, I liked running in them so much that I got a 2nd pair and started running in them for longer distances and more frequently. The longest I ran in them (after about a year) was 15 miles (prior to PB...no long distance running now...) I will say that the first time I took a long WALK in them, I got a bad blister on my heel pad. Obviously a heel-striker when walking!

Good luck with them. You'll love them if you build slowly.

KurtGarvey is offline Junior Member
    I made a quick jump and started jogging a mile the next day I bought them. I definitely felt sore and got some blisters. I also had pain on the top of my foot. 3 weeks later and I have never felt any of those pains. It is probably best to do as the instructions probably say: walk around in them, just not too far. You are shifting the way you walk after years and years of walking the wrong way, so it can take a bit of getting used to.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    I have been using them every couple days and have not noticed any issues. My walks are generally 45 min long. I did do a lot of walking in flip-flops, so maybe this helped transition??

Haider is offline Junior Member
    I think you have no practice earlier about that.I use to walk every morning about an hour,half an hour,it doesn't matter to me,at first i was to hardly difficult to me.But few day later it seem easier to me.If you have same problem after practice,i think you shouldn't run long distance along,you can run at a little space like to and fro motion.I think it would be effective and suit with your body.

Quote Originally Posted by Reindeer View Post
    Yes. Yes it is normal. It is also a pretty bad thing to do if you keep it up... which is why such shoes usually comes with instruction manuals telling you NOT to take any long walks with them for a while. :P

You have to ease in to barefoot walking and/or forefoot striking or else you will risk injury. Such ways of walking will otherwise put strain on your muscles that normal shoes will protect you from. You will grow to handle these strains and get a stronger foot with time, but it will take some time... the same thing happened to me. I had some history of barefoot walking already so it wasn't that bad, but it still took me about a month to really ease into my vibrams.
    I'd suggest resting until the pain goes away, and then take up 5-10 min walks and increase from there unless you have walked barefoot before. See how much your feet can handle. Don't overdo it, and don't forget to stretch your feet and calves! It's well worth the initiation process, though, so good luck with your shoes!
    +1 I wore my minimalist shoes around the house for a week or so before venturing out into a day filled with just walking. You overdid it first thing.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeHeath View Post
    You better get five finger shoes by vibram. They are the best, Go straight barefoot and you will really enjoy.
    And if the vff don't fit got merrell trail gloves or other traditional looking barefoot shoe.. The merrel's have a similar sole and flex points but a normal foot box. Birthday Shoes is a good source for the different types of barefoot shoes out there.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i kept up the walking keeping to 30 mins and today i have very little pain and actually feel really good in these. Only prob ive had is the soles are not thick enough to stop my spin bike peddals from diggin into my foot. So i have to change shoes when doing my usual sprints on the bile and then going walking. Other than that im loving them.