Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why white rice and not brown? page

jmosery is offline Member

Why white rice and not brown?

Primal Fuel
    My sister and I always discuss nutrition and I was saying that I always see people here saying they eat white rice and of course people always say brown rice is better.

Why do people here prefer white rather than brown as a carb source?

Jaime

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Isn't brown rice loaded with arsenic, which is removed by the "whitening" process?

Darz is offline Senior Member
    There's an article here on that - Is Rice Unhealthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

Bear in mind though that although white rice is advocated here it's still mostly empty calories. But if you are active, healthy and you like it you can have it. I get it several times a week - the japanese variety.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmosery View Post
    My sister and I always discuss nutrition and I was saying that I always see people here saying they eat white rice and of course people always say brown rice is better.

Why do people here prefer white rather than brown as a carb source?
    Brown rice causes psoriasis for me (and possibly receding gums). I had a more obvious reaction to brown rice than to gluten.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    Brown rice causes psoriasis for me (and possibly receding gums). I had a more obvious reaction to brown rice than to gluten.
    INTERESTING... I never heard of this, before. *puts this bullet into magazine for the argument gun* thanks
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darz View Post
    There's an article here on that - Is Rice Unhealthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

Bear in mind though that although white rice is advocated here it's still mostly empty calories. But if you are active, healthy and you like it you can have it. I get it several times a week - the japanese variety.
    There are some Japanese brands I like, because they actually have flavoring! I think Nishiki is one of them.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Darz is offline Senior Member
    Can't remember the name of the brands I usually get but I just love the stickiness of Japanese rice and indeed the flavour is a plus as well, quite different from the long grain variety.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    I like basmati rice, and red rice. Red rice has a very different, nutty flavor that I really enjoy, and a small amount in basmati rice turns it an amazing purple. Plain white rice, meh. Japanese rice, really enjoy that too.

I find I'm ok on rice once or twice a week, but more than that, my fibro kicks up.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Velocity J is offline Member
    Brown rice falls under the whole grain umbrella so it's usually promoted as being healthier. There have been a couple of studies comparing the two, but there is no real evidence for which one is better. I've seem some sources say white rice is bad because it has a higher GI than brown, but there is a whole range of GI values for different types of rice, and some varieties of white rice actually have lower GIs. This has more information about the differences: white rice vs brown rice

sandokan2112 is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    white rice is a staple in Asia.... enough said.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast