Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: $125 a week? page 3

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Today I bought a HUGE grass-fed cow tongue for $6 Canadian at the farmers market. This thing will feed my DH and I for a couple days.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    coconut oil from the indian markets are the least expensive, and butter can be cheap, too. our butter is surprisingly cheap, all things considered.

FWIW, DH and I spent about the same amount of food in the US (taking into consideration the difference in the value of the dollar). But, in the US we were organic, and here we are somewhat organic. That is to say, most of our stuff is likely organic, but organic labelling is tough here, so most people don't go for the certification. But, it might also be conventional and/or mixed in.

Grass fed (for meat) is pretty much all you can get, so there is that.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I had a phone and a home internet connection back in the US (2 yrs ago) that cost a combined total of $70. My sister, by contrast, had bells-and-whistles cable, broadband, home phone, and cell-phone package (and today has an iPhone), that ran her $175 per month.

When she then told me she "couldn't afford" healthier food, I pointed out that she could save $105 per month by dropping cable and switching to the internet/phone process that we were using. It was amazing what I was able to chew it down to.

But god forbid someone lives without cable tv!

I'm nto saying it's this woman's circumstances, btu I know *a lot* of people who cry poor on their iPhones.

ommmmaggie is offline Senior Member
    Wow! Thanks y'all, for all the suggestions. I've forwarded the link to this discussion to my sister. She lives in Northern California, BTW, and has great access to mounds and mounds of local seasonal food.

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o
    Currently 140 lbs., approx 25% body fat
    WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
    DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
    EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I had a phone and a home internet connection back in the US (2 yrs ago) that cost a combined total of $70. My sister, by contrast, had bells-and-whistles cable, broadband, home phone, and cell-phone package (and today has an iPhone), that ran her $175 per month.

When she then told me she "couldn't afford" healthier food, I pointed out that she could save $105 per month by dropping cable and switching to the internet/phone process that we were using. It was amazing what I was able to chew it down to.

But god forbid someone lives without cable tv!

I'm nto saying it's this woman's circumstances, btu I know *a lot* of people who cry poor on their iPhones.
    I don't miss TV, really. IF I wanted to watch something, I have Hulu, Netflix. I'm more of an audio guy, though.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    Tell her to look into CSA's, some even have meat. We are lucky to live in an area with quite a few organic/grassfed/pastured farms and have a CSA that lets you order what you want online and pick-up once a week. Our budget savers are economy packs of meat (usually has a couple lbs. of ground beef, a roast or two, sausage, round steak, etc.) from a local grass fed farm. Then I buy seasonal produce based on what cuts we get, and make a meal plan. Frozen veggies (lately I've been getting organic because both Woodstock Farms and Cascadian Farms have had coupons out) help a lot too, and I use the dirty dozen/clean 15 cheat sheet to pick what I buy organic or conventional. It's just silly to buy organic bananas--the skin keeps the pesticides out.

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    if you arent doing organic/grass fed/pasturized only then that number should be easy ...

i can honestly say my wife and i spend about $150 a month on food, sometimes less ... and we eat well imho
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

MamaAdams is offline Member
    My family of 4 (kids are 2 and 3) are able to eat primal on a $300 a month budget. I do most of my grocery shopping at Sprouts Farmers Market because it is cheaper and better quality than the grocery stores around here. One of the biggest things that helps this is when something is on sale, say asparagus for .88 a pound, I stock up and buy 10-20lbs then freeze most of it for future use. You can also do this with meat, sometimes I can get chicken thighs for .99 a lb or drum sticks for .88 a lb and just stock up. We are thinking of upping our budget to $400 a month.

RichL is offline Junior Member
    I feed my family of 5 from cosco for about 5-600 a month. A deep freezer is key and a food saver. I also live in Vermont which is one of the most expensive states to live in.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    For a family of 3, we spend on average 200-250 a week. I do buy organic and grassfed/pastured items. I don't bargain shop and pretty much refuse to go to more than 1 store . The store I shop at is a health food store and some items I could definitely get cheaper somewhere else. If I dropped organic/grassfed and but back on some of the wild caught fish, 125-150 might be doable.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast