Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy : Any experiences, insights? page

Paleobird Guest

Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy : Any experiences, insights?

Shop Now
    Hi All,

I have a relative who has had a "borderline" diabetic diagnosis for years but has stuck his head in the sand about it because diabetes is, in his mind, only a fat people's disease.

Now he is being slapped upside the head with peripheral neuropathy symptoms, numbness and tingling in fingertips and shooting pains in one ankle. This has finally gotten his attention and I think is opening him up to the Primal woe that I have been talking about.

Does anyone have any experiences with peripheral neuropathy and Primal eating? I'm hoping for inspirational stories of success but any insight would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Robin

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I don't, actually, but i would think that proper management of diabetes may help the problem, and cod liver oil is quite healthy for the whole nervous system.

wiltondeportes Guest
    I would love to know more about the neuropathy because I have a good friend who has it in his feet. He's been diabetic for about 1-2 years, and he too is not fat. Our rough estimate is that the diabetes was due to stress...and possibly too much fiber and fructose from long-term fruit consumption.

....and I broke the chain of birds in this thread.

Paleobird Guest
    My Dad's doctor said it is a common misconception that only seriously overweight people get diabetes. And it is more likely to go undiagnosed until it does some serious damage in relatively healthy people of an average weight.

The fructose does have a big role in it. His doctor has been trying to get him to give up fruit juices. Now he might listen.

Rattybag is offline Senior Member
    My X Husband (who isnt overweight either) has just returned from a month in hospital having yet another toe removed due to diabetes.
    He drinks fruit juice daily, eats fruit of all kind, eats 'borderline rubbish' or not eat at all.

The reason Im saying this is that though his left foot is now totally void of toes and his right foot 2 toes missing, NOTHING will make him eat differently. He has been warned time and time again that if he continues to eat as he does, his foot will be next, and then probably his leg.
    Will he take heed? Probably not.
    Most people would have woken up at the first sign of losing a toe - but not him!
    Some people you just cant change - as painful as it is, you have to let them get on with it.
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    My Dad's doctor said it is a common misconception that only seriously overweight people get diabetes. And it is more likely to go undiagnosed until it does some serious damage in relatively healthy people of an average weight.

The fructose does have a big role in it. His doctor has been trying to get him to give up fruit juices. Now he might listen.
    As far as I know I've never been even borderline diabetic, but have had PN issues due to intolerances stemming from gluten. Fructose is a common one and IIRC there is a connection between diabetes, both 1 and 2 and gut flora, which fructose can have a very negative effect on. It isn't just fruits and veg that's a problem, but fructans and other sugars and fibers. Doing a FODMAP elimination then slowly adding one food back at a time would probably be ideal, but it's very limited and many people just can't hack it. Ditching the high fructose offenders while allowing other fruits in reasonable amounts may be a bit easier. Berries and citrus fruits are usually tolerated fairly well, provided both are whole (not juices) and the amounts are fairly limited. Keeping a food journal might also be a good idea to see if there is anything that stands out as being problematic.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    It saddens me to see fruit juices continue to be pushed as a health food.

Nobody has to eat fruit or sugar. I've eliminated them for months at a time due to candida issues. It's really shouldn't be that difficult when there are health issues at stake.

I've also kept fructose intake low because I have a biochemical understanding of how toxic fructose is, and how it causes central obesity and diabetes. This has paid off, as my blood glucose levels are in the perfect range, and I have a healthy waist to hip ratio, with a small waist for my height and weight, in spite of being 'overweight', which is mostly due to being very muscular.

Starchy foods are much healthier than fruit, much more satisfying, and far superior for building muscle.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for starting this thread, Paleobird. I, too, was categorized as borderline diabetic. The highest I ever weighed was 157 (believe it or not for a person of my frame), but even then, I had been seen as diabetic when I weighed about 136, or so. As far as tingling, I'm not sure.

But, I do remember the energy fluctuations I'd get day to day. Since going, Primal, I think those have ceased, provided I eat cleanly enough.

Paleo-bunny, I've been trying to limit the fructose, too. I'll indulge in a banana or few. But, for the most part kept it out of my diet. I've also made a better effort to eat only berries, if I was to eat fruit.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Ingvildr is offline Senior Member
    I'm a diabetic from a family of diabetics(I was showing early symptoms at puberty when I was 110lbs). My mom suffered for years from peripheral and autonomic neuropathy. Autonomic neuropathy is eventually what killed her when it effected the cardiac nerve and caused an arrythmia. What she found worked as much as anything works is tight control. She actually had some reversal of symptoms with tight control. Primal keeps my sugar under very good control. Exercise and anything that stimulates good circulation helps. Fish oil also thins the blood and helps blood circulate easier. As far as pain control, my mother found that antidepressants helped the pain by altering the neurotransmitters. Standard painkillers do very little for neuropathy. Neuropathy does eventually 'burn out' and leaves numbness which carries its own dangers.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattybag View Post
    My X Husband (who isnt overweight either) has just returned from a month in hospital having yet another toe removed due to diabetes.
    He drinks fruit juice daily, eats fruit of all kind, eats 'borderline rubbish' or not eat at all.

The reason Im saying this is that though his left foot is now totally void of toes and his right foot 2 toes missing, NOTHING will make him eat differently. He has been warned time and time again that if he continues to eat as he does, his foot will be next, and then probably his leg.
    Will he take heed? Probably not.
    Most people would have woken up at the first sign of losing a toe - but not him!
    Some people you just cant change - as painful as it is, you have to let them get on with it.
    Yikes! Some people just won't listen. I think my Dad may have gotten the wake up call he needed just from being in pain. He ate a pretty healthy diet most of his life and was always physically active and I think that is what kept him from having problems up until recently. Since my Mom died I think Dad has been slipping into "bachelor cooking" mode like microwaved Lean Cuisine and Trader Joe's frozen mexican food. Then thinking he can balance out this less than optimal food with lots of "healthy" fruit and fruit juice.

I have actually gotten him to agree to a complete pantry cleanout (taking the non Primal stuff to the foodbank) and to signing up for the grassfed meat CSA I belong to. Going Primal at 86. Better late than never.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast