Thread: Exercise for a "FIT obese" page

goin2befit is offline Member

Primal Fuel

I am wanting to start moving my body in a Primal way, but not really getting it. I am 29 years old, 5'8", 336 pounds ... fit in the sense that I do more then any fat person I have ever known. I can tie my shoes, move, play with the kids, get up and down off of the floor, etc. I don't want to join a gym (which I believe I don't have too!)

At home I have Leslie's Walk away the pounds videos that have interval training in them. I have 2,3, & 4 miles.

I have a stationary bike that has several levels, heart rate monitor, etc.

I have Slim in 6 videos...

My heart rate is good. I do get tired in my muscles after about 15 mins, but can push to 40 minutes. I have trouble deciding when enough is enough time. My heart must be good b/c on the bike I can ride at level 6 as fast as I can go and only get my heart to stay around 110-115 BPM, if I want my heart rate highter I have to go to level 8 and that will put me between 130-135 BPM... so which is more Primal??? And for how long should I ride?

What about the body weight/strength training? Would the Slim in 6 be good?

I live in NYC and walk my daughter back and forth to school (usually pushing the two of them which is 75 pounds in a double stroller) and it is about 1/2 mile one way....

So please, I'm looking for some good primal advise, and don't be scared by my weight.. I'm strong and have bigger calf muscles then most body builders, I just also have a lot of fluff over all of the strength!

Thanks for reading!

~Amanda

Asturian is offline Senior Member

I think the PB fitness approach is to do low intensity exercise on a frequent basis and high intensity exercise on an infrequent basis.

In other words, walking daily at low-level intensity (or equivalent exercise) and only doing high intensity resistance training for short brief periods (always < about 30 minutes) maybe once or twice a week and as for high-intensity-interval-training, do only for a few minutes maybe once a week.

The approach is to imitate our primal ancestors. Walking daily to hunt and gather. Lifting heavy objects now and then for various reasons. Moving quickly every once in a while to avoid some traumatic experience.

“It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

anniegebel Guest

One thing that I just read about in the book that I was doing wrong is the moving frequently at a slow pace. When doing this you want your HR to be between 55% and 75% of your maximum HR. It&#39;s a lot easier to do than I thought. I was out walking several times a week, but my HR was higher than 75% of my max. You want to be in that range so that your energy source is fat. So, even when you&#39;re walking your kids to school or doing something at home check your HR...you&#39;ll be surprised how easily you hit 55%! For me that&#39;s only 107...doesn&#39;t take much at all.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

Goin2be, I&#39;m so impressed by all the stuff you can do at that weight!

I&#39;m also 5&#39;8", and I weigh o..n..l..y <grin?> 281 lb., but I&#39;m 63 instead of 29. Believe me, you don&#39;t want to find out what all those years of trying to keep one&#39;s weight down do to the body! It&#39;s not pretty, trying one system after another, and crashing out of them when the lean mass loss is so great you just can&#39;t hack it anymore -- and then it all goes back on the middle instead of the muscles it came off of.

Never again.

I&#39;m working on aching muscles and sore knees, doing what activity I can, hoping to get able to do something someone might describe as working out. And I can tie my shoes (but I have to be sitting on the edge of the bed) and get up from the floor (but it is very helpful to have a chair seat to lean on while I do it, and much less embarrassing if no one is watching.) And I have a cane, but am too proud to use it in public.

But my upper body strength is pretty good, given the number of pianos I tune every month, and all that mass makes rolling them around a stage very easy. During the last miserable attempt to lose weight, presided over by a (words fail me) naturopath, a lowcarb but also low calorie kind of brutal diet, where I kept going by gluconeogensis, I noticed the piano lids getting heavier. They seem to be getting back to normal now, thank heavens.

Good luck, I&#39;ll watch with interest how you&#39;re doing.

goin2befit is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Thanks, I think I will just ride my bike for now at the level 6 and do the slim in 6 2x&#39;s a week, also I think I should invest in a heart rate monitor to wear when walking around town.