Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconut Water page

Lillian is offline Member

Primal Fuel

I recently bought some young coconuts out of curiosity and did some internet research on them. Turns out, the water inside the coconut is not the milk! You have to actually make the milk yourself with the meat. Any way, I started reading up on the benefits of coconut water and there are actually a lot! (http://www.cocotap.com/nutrition.htm) The water itself is pretty refreshing and not too sweet. But be careful, drinking too much can have a laxative effect/loose stools. Other than that, it seems pretty nutritious. So if you ever get your hands on a fresh coconut, drink the water!

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Yup. And you can also buy it to drink on amazon. I got ONE brand and it is tasty. Have also heard Zico is good.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Stabby is offline Senior Member

I always read the nutrition label and it said on the ONE carton that it had massive amounts of sugar. Is that true of all coconut water or is it just sweetened with sugar in some versions?

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

My ONE has no ingredients besides coconut water. No added sugar or anything. I think their flavored ones might have extra stuff. That said it is a relatively carby drink. Not something to chug. But great now and then as a treat or post workout.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Coconut water is available canned in almost every store catering to any ethnic groups like Asian and Caribbean. It is best taken from younger, greener coconuts. Milk comes from processing the "flesh" of the mature coconuts.

It is full of carbs, sugars, and electrolytes. It is very good at refreshment, but if one is avoiding carbs and sugars, go easy.

schadowrider is offline Senior Member

You can also culture the coconut water with a kefir starter to make up a nice diary-free pro-biotic (and significantly reduce the sugars...). I've only done it with the water from young green coconuts, which evidently has enough sugar to ferment up nicely; can't speak to water from mature coconuts, but maybe someone else can.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

All the stuff that's sold in cans that's catered to ethnic groups does actually have a lot of additives, including sugar. I buy the ONE that's sold in large cartons. I think it might be ONE brand. It only has pure coconut water and nothing else.

schadowrider, funny you should mention this. Just yesterday I was shopping around for some kefir grains and came across some material on water kefir grains and how they work really well with coconut water. I think it would be an excellent source of probiotics for those who don't do dairy.

I love drinking coconut water during a workout or after. Since I started drinking it, I almost never get post work-out cramps or horrible muscle soreness.

paleo_piper is offline Junior Member

I find that if I have regular coconut water (at least half a cup about twice a week) lessens my chances of getting charlie horses in my legs.

schadowrider is offline Senior Member

chocolatechip6 said:
    [quote]

Just yesterday I was shopping around for some kefir grains and came across some material on water kefir grains and how they work really well with coconut water. I think it would be an excellent source of probiotics for those who don't do dairy.
    </blockquote>

And I happen to think it tastes great (kind of in a tartish beer-hopish bubbly way)!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Piper that&#39;s probably the potassium in it working. Yay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast