Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 48

Thread: Last time asking for workout routine critique page

  1. #1
    Gadsie's Avatar
    Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    1,932

    Last time asking for workout routine critique

    Primal Fuel
    So I first made up my own routine, posted it on here and the bodybuilding forum, got constructive criticism, and finally came up with this:


    Workout A
    - Squat 4x5
    - Bench press 4x5
    - Overhead press 3x8
    - Dips 3x8

    Workout B
    - Deadlift (never really trained deadlifts so I don't know sets and reps yet)
    - Pullup 3x8
    - Rows 4x8
    - Bicep curl 5x8

    2x weekly
    Mon: A
    Tue: B
    Thurs: A
    Fri: B

    I think this is a good workout and I also think a lot will agree since it is based on other people's ideas.

  2. #2
    js290's Avatar
    js290 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,026



  3. #3
    billp's Avatar
    billp is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    942
    I still think four workouts a week is crazy, especially while you still have a lot of fat to gain.

  4. #4
    Unamused Mouse's Avatar
    Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    633
    Don't bother - he doesn't listen anyway. Just worry about growing up, kid. Wow.

  5. #5
    Gadsie's Avatar
    Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    1,932
    Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post
    I still think four workouts a week is crazy, especially while you still have a lot of fat to gain.
    Strength training doesn't really burn fat right?

  6. #6
    Gadsie's Avatar
    Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    1,932
    Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post


    Thanks I'll watch both entire videos when I have more time, I'm now through the first 10 minutes of the first one.. Working out every muscle once every 5 days he said.
    In which case I should change my workout to something more like this:

    Week 1: ABA
    Week 2: BAB

  7. #7
    js290's Avatar
    js290 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    Thanks I'll watch both entire videos when I have more time, I'm now through the first 10 minutes of the first one.. Working out every muscle once every 5 days he said.
    In which case I should change my workout to something more like this:

    Week 1: ABA
    Week 2: BAB
    I'd recommend always doing a big leg movement.

  8. #8
    CE402's Avatar
    CE402 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DE
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    So I first made up my own routine, posted it on here and the bodybuilding forum, got constructive criticism, and finally came up with this:


    Workout A
    - Squat 4x5
    - Bench press 4x5
    - Overhead press 3x8
    - Dips 3x8

    Workout B
    - Deadlift (never really trained deadlifts so I don't know sets and reps yet)
    - Pullup 3x8
    - Rows 4x8
    - Bicep curl 5x8

    2x weekly
    Mon: A
    Tue: B
    Thurs: A
    Fri: B

    I think this is a good workout and I also think a lot will agree since it is based on other people's ideas.

    Or you can stop trying to reinvent the wheel.

    But others have told you what works many times.

    You are doing two heavy presses on the same day, and three heavy pulls. You will not be able to adequately train the press after benching, nor do many pullups after deadlifting.

    Deadlift is one work set of 5 reps.

    You cannot make progress doing this routine on consecutive days. You will break down and get injured from not allowing enough recovery time.

    Again, read "Starting Strength" and "Practical Programming"

    A
    Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5

    B
    Squat 3x5
    Press 3x5
    Pullup 3 sets to failure

    Lift 3x perweek on non consecutive days; MWF ABA then BAB the following week.
    Last edited by CE402; 05-13-2012 at 10:56 AM.

  9. #9
    Gadsie's Avatar
    Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    1,932
    Quote Originally Posted by CE402 View Post
    Again, read "Starting Strength" and "Practical Programming"

    A
    Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5

    B
    Squat 3x5
    Press 3x5
    Pullup 3 sets to failure

    Lift 3x perweek on non consecutive days; MWF ABA then BAB the following week.
    Is that routine from starting strength or practical programming?

    I want to buy the starting strength book but I can only find it on amazon and you need a credit card...
    Can I buy it through paypal somewhere?

    oh and I'm currently reading stronglifts, good idea?
    Last edited by Gadsie; 05-13-2012 at 11:26 AM.

  10. #10
    Gadsie's Avatar
    Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    1,932
    hmm, this stronglifts program looks very good but every single before/after picture is complete crap

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •