Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can we eat anything we want? page

azhntr is offline Junior Member

Can we eat anything we want?

Primal Fuel
    I am new to PB and this site and my 15 year old daughter has been very interested as well. She asked me this morning "Dad, Does it matter what we eat as long as we do not go over the amount of calories, carbs ans sugars we should have for one day?"

I know the answer is yes but can someone help me with why? She shoots for 1800 calories/day, no more than 150 carbs and 40 to 50 sugars max. She is 15, 5' 4" and weighs 130lbs. She is very athletic, plays on a club and high school softball team but is a typical freshman in high school and how she looks and feels is becoming more important. I appreciate any help! THANK YOU!

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Tell her that macronutrient ratios do not matter as long as she is eating whole, natural foods according to her appetite. So she can have several pieces of fruit if she wants, but things like Quaker chocolate granola bars, not so much.

edit: Probably the less said the better. Teenagers are terrible with this kind of thing as body image and social pressures collide and make things all confusing. Just look how mixed up our own 14 year old "Gadsie" is.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    It also the difference between long term health in all aspects and short term weight management which is all teens care about
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Nothing is more important the feeding her body all the nutrients it needs to be healthy. Calories matter a whole lot less when you are giving your body all the macro and micro nutrients required. Then her body will naturally tell her to stop eating.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    Tell her that macronutrient ratios do not matter as long as she is eating whole, natural foods according to her appetite. So she can have several pieces of fruit if she wants, but things like Quaker chocolate granola bars, not so much.

edit: Probably the less said the better. Teenagers are terrible with this kind of thing as body image and social pressures collide and make things all confusing. Just look how mixed up our own 14 year old "Gadsie" is.
    If I'm eating too little, then how in the world is 1800 calories enough for this active teenager?
    And I don't do all this because I want to look perfect or fit in. All my friends are chubby, I do it because I want to be healthy

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Tell her she can eat whatever she wants as long as it's real food and not processed.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    If I'm eating too little, then how in the world is 1800 calories enough for this active teenager?
    And I don't do all this because I want to look perfect or fit in. All my friends are chubby, I do it because I want to be healthy
    Are you a boy? If so, you need more than a girl.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    No, you should aim very carefully for complete nutrition! What kind of nut job thinks any less?!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azhntr View Post
    I am new to PB and this site and my 15 year old daughter has been very interested as well. She asked me this morning "Dad, Does it matter what we eat as long as we do not go over the amount of calories, carbs ans sugars we should have for one day?"
    Yes it matters WHAT you eat, if you want to eat for optimal health.

Worry less about quantity of calories and carbs and more about quality of food and quality of carbs.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    Are you a boy? If so, you need more than a girl.
    Yeah I'm a boy, I'm also taller, but some people advice double the amount of calories, which I think is a little strange, either 1800 must br too little for her, or 3500-4000 is too much for me. But anyways, I don't count calories anymore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast