Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Desk Jockeys page

anab0lic Guest

Primal Fuel

For those of you who spend long times sat at computer, like I do for both work and fun, do you find yourself having neck/shoulder/back pain issues?

I've suffered from this for a long time now and nothing I have really tried has helped - outside of lifting weights (which helps immensely) but I only lift 3x a week and I find on the days I don't lift I suffer from pretty servere muscle ache especially in the trapezius area.

I've tried various forms of stretching and just getting up now and again when I've been sat down for too long. I also try to watch my posture but often find myself hunched over as its a real effort to sit up straight for long periods. Once it flairs up it really does effect me in a huge way to the point where I can hardly think at times as the pain runs up the back of my neck and gives me headaches. I've been to my doctor they just gave me a bunch of pills which did help some, but after a week they seemed to stop having an effect, Id rather not have to rely on those anyways. I think it may also be partly stress related (in times of stress i seem to tense my shoulders.)

Any advice appreciated.

Fury22 is offline Senior Member

I work a desk job, only about 20 hours per week or so. I don't have any pain so to speak, but I just feel tired often after work from sitting all day. I get up and walk around a lot, or walk somewhere for lunch and it seems to alleviate any stiffness I get from sitting. I hunch over when I sit too, which obviously is not a good thing.

I do find that sitting a long time, often depsite the comfort level of the chair, makes my lower back hurt a little bit. It's more stiffness related just from not moving.

Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

jrherring is offline Senior Member

I constantly am reminding myself to sit up straight in my chair at work...not using the backrest. I sit at a desk 40+ hrs a week & try to stay off the PC once I get home.

Weight lifting helps me as well.

I have a resistance band at my desk that I remind myself to use on my shoulders/upper body at least every couple of hrs. And now that the sun is out, walking helps as the sun's on my back/shoulders and feels really great.

Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

start. stop. start.stop...now ramping up to cruising speed!

Timothy is offline Senior Member

I have a desk job where I sit for hours at a time and my back used to be all kinds of messed up. It got a bit better with weightlifting, but then I switched to using just a sledgehammer and my back is in great shape now.

15 minutes in the morning, 15 at night just swinging the thing around (you don't have to hit anything with it) is good for both stretching and building muscles all over your body, but particularly in the back and core.

jrherring is offline Senior Member

That's a thought, Timothy. I need a sledgehammer/ax anyway for some logs I picked up for the fireplace.

Will be looking for one next payday...

Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

start. stop. start.stop...now ramping up to cruising speed!

Steve-O is offline Senior Member

I am at a desk most of the day. I have a 200 mile round trip commute. All I sit most of the day. Every morning I hold downward facing dog yoga movement for 90 seconds (while I wait for the shower to warm up). Stretches the calves and lower back. No back pain. I stop doing this for a few days. Pain returns.

As for neck/shoulder pain, do you use a monitor riser? Make sure when you sit up, your eyes are level with the middle of the monitor. Make sure you do not have to raise your shoulders to use your keyboard.

lebowski is offline Junior Member

If your workplace has a good ergonomics program, you can opt for a standing desk. I made the switch last year and it helped to alleviate fatigue, tight hamstrings and lower back issues caused by sitting.

Iceskater is offline Junior Member

I commute 1 1/2 hrs (each way) to get to school, Im in classes all day, and then I study at home at my desk.

At work, I have to remind myself not to sit hunched forward. At home, I sit on an exercise which seems to keep me from 'slouching'.

ccarrigan is offline Junior Member

I've also dealt with some back problems from sitting at a desk 40+ hours a week.

I found them virtually non-existent when I was lifting.

My regime usually involved: Deadlifts, Squats, Lunges, 'Sledgehammers' (with dumbbells) and some bridges.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

I workout at lunch which helps great.

I also do a good stretch after each workout.

I also do yoga on most sundays which helps too.

That's all you can really do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast