Thread: The prodigal member returns page

wug
    wug is offline Junior Member

The prodigal member returns

You may have noticed that I am not in fact I new member. But I have been away for so long that I feel that I should re-introduce myself.

So I was never strictly primal, but I was sticking to the ethos of the primal/paleo lifestyle. And then I met a boy. So I was spending less time being active and less time cooking, and more time eating out and lounging around. The weight crept back on slowly, just a couple of kilos, something I could live with to make sharing a meal with my boyfriend easier.

But then I made the decision that changed my life upside down. I wanted a career change and went to law school. Last year was my first year, and it was tough. I no longer had a regular work/gym schedule. I never fully stopped looking after myself, but I struggled to eat well and exercise regularly. And I saw another 3 kilos piled on. I know for many, these numbers seem trivial. But for me these were pretty big numbers. Some of my clothes stopped fitting properly and I just wasn't happy with my body (again, such a vicious cycle).

New year, new resolution. I slowly started doing some lifting again, but the diet thing was still a struggle. I was working, doing an internship, studying and maintaining my relationship. It was a challenge, but I was slowly feeling stronger. I cut down on work, which helped.

Then I did Live Below the Line. Which is yes, was probably a bit of a carb-filled nightmare. However, the point was, I had to say 'no' to food, I could only eat what I had prepared within my $2 a day budget for food and drink. I just finished up yesterday. And I splurged. But the last 5 days made me realised that I can say 'no' offers of lollies and biscuits and whatnot. I can still find the time and motivation to prepare food.

So with that recent realisation that I can do it, I have decided to go public. Well, go online. This is my public affirmation that I believe in myself. And I will need to stay strong with exams coming up. And when I feel like I can't, I hope I remember this post. I know I will probably never be as strict as members here, but I believe that I can make better choices than I have been making.

So that's the long-winded version of 'Hi, I'm back.'

zsadie is offline Senior Member
    I wish you the best of luck! I wouldn't say never, because you never know what starting on this path will bring. You may find it will change your thought patterns once you start feeling better both physically and emotionally,

Like you I am not a new member, but haven't ever been 100%. I have picked the Primal Blueprint to be my number one lifestyle choice. It makes so much sense, so I am promising myself this year to make it into a habit.
    "Achievement begins with belief."

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson-

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread27309.html

wug
    Well, not ever as long as I want to be fed cheaply or for free at home!

Good luck to you too. Let's form some new habits together!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Welcome back

My advice to you would be the oft repeated "don't let perfect be the enemy of good".

If things are too crazy to do full on primal every day, just commit to reducing gluten, high fructose corn syrup, crappy oils, and excess sugars while trying to eat food as whole and natural as possible.

To supplement normal primal fare - soaked beans, white rice, and potatoes are pretty budget friendly and might be easier for the budget at home if that is a concern.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

wug
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Lol - I think I take the "don't let perfect be the enemy of good" to being perfectly bad at times.