Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (magda) page 2

magda is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hi, thanks for your comment It's nice to know that someone is actually reading
    I think I'm also still focusing on food too much, but I think it's natural at first - after all it's quite a spectacular change (at least for me - coming from vegan/vegetarian low fat world), so it's normal to try to do my best and, since PB is basically the opposite of everything I'd been taught about healthy eating, I think it's also natural to be a bit scared that all this fat will go into by butt and I will have six chins instead of a sixpack I'm also trying not to obsess over my meals and I think that a tsp of honey in my meat marinade won't kill me.

Well, it seems, that my body is really enjoying this new style I feel like it's finally working like it should - no energy slumps, no digestive issues, sporadic headaches and generally feeling a lot better. And, after fighting hunger for years (I literally could eat and be hungry an hour afterwards) I'm kind of surprised that today I went for solid 8 hours between lunch and dinner and I only had a few strawberries in the meantime and not really because I was hungry, but because I like strawberries and didn't want them to go to waste. I actually skipped the workout today and made it a "move slowly" day instead, because I STILL felt full from lunch five hours after eating. I think I'm beginning to understand that it's actually possible to skip a meal sometimes and not starve to death

Regarding food - breakfast was mentioned above. My killer lunch was a giant salad - fresh spinach and some more greens with smoked salmon, real ripe camembert cheese (awesome!), tomato and some lemon-dill-tahini dressing. After loooong time when I finally started to warm up to the thought of dinner, I still wanted to keep it on the lighter side, so I blended some local herbed cottage cheese, ~1/3 avocado, some zucchini (raw), tomato and bell pepper + seasonings. I sprinkled this smoothie with some sunflower and pumpkin seeds. It was really good - creamy and refreshing. I also had some 90% chocolate for dessert

magda is offline Member
    Still there and keeping strong. Between work, commuting, workouts, making & eating food and living my life I hardly have time to log all my food and workouts... Since it's gotten really hot here, I mainly eat salads, fresh fruit & veggies - nothing very interesting. Case in point - yesterdays menu:

Breakfast: organic cottage cheese, 1 tbsp full fat greek yogurt, 1 banana, fresh strawberries, 1 tbsp almond butter, a handful of assorted nuts, all mashed up together in a bowl = heaven

Lunch: salad of (if I remember well) spinach, agurula, tomato, 2 eggs, 1/2 avocado, some olive oil and seasonings

Snack: some camembert cheese, celery and cucumber

Dinner: this was a good one - curry omelet of 2 eggs with zucchini, sliced apple, curry (obviously), cinnamon, sprinkled with coconut and with a bit of coconut milk on top. I needed something semi-sweet for dinner and I didn't want to stuff myself with banana again.

Oh and there was desert - 1/2 microwaved apple with cinnamon, 1 tsp of some nut butter and 1 tsp of mascarpone (I tried it for the first time yesterday and now I know I'd been missing out all my life )

As for workouts, I did power pump on Wednesday and will probably do it again today. Not exactly a primal workout, but I love these classes. I try to ride my bike as much as weather and my schedule allows (these are really "bike strolls", nothing intense, just 12 miles to the office and back at a slow to medium pace)

And, since my husband turned 30 yesterday, we have a party tomorrow and I'm working on a primal menu. I will let you know what I ended up with. For sure there will be primal tiramisu and some salads, shrimp poppers and I whatever my creative madness will produce. Fun fact - I totally forgot that I need to buy bread for the party I guess that means I've really turned primal. Will have to invade the bakery though, for all the guests who are grain-based.

I'm thinking of doing the whole30 program, but I guess maybe I will wait about 2-3 weeks, because I'd like to give it my 100% and within those 3 weeks I have several family birthday celebrations and a wedding to attend, so I don't see myself refusing a glass of wine or skipping the wedding dinner altogether, because maybe it contains trace amounts of some "dirty" ingredients. However, when the party time is over, I think I will give it a shot.

sarahz is offline Senior Member
    Hey Magda if you want to do the whole 30 (or there is also the 21 day sugar detox run by Diane at the beginning of each month) let me know and I'll see if I do it with you that way we can support each other. I can pretty much start anytime but not around 4th August as that's my birthday and its not so much the food but a couple of drinks I would like to indulge in

By the way your brekkie sounds awesome I will have to give it ago. I can't believe your not getting hungry doesn't seem like much food to me although it would be very similiar to how I eat except I feel hungry.

magda is offline Member
    So, today was quite good until evening, but I'd kind of predicted that I went to power pump - so glad I did. I almost bailed, but I finally dragged my @ss to the gym and the class was great. It flew by. I gave it my all and made some progress with my biceps and triceps weights I <3 power pump. Then I cycled home and then... the not so good though expected part came. I started making the tiramisu for tomorrows birthday party. And I pretty much licked all the dishes clean Admittedly, with some help from my husband. We also shared leftover coffee-amaretto mixture that I used for soaking cookies (which are paleo by the way) So now I have mascarpone with whipped cream, maple syrup + some coffee and booze running through my veins. It was delicious, but now even thinking of something sweet makes me a bit sick. And you can bet I'll eat even more of this deliciously evil stuff tomorrow

But then I'm planning to clean up my diet a lot. As for the whole 30, I plan to start it on 12th June. sarahz, it would be great if you joined me and we could do it together

For now, I think I'm going to put my sugar filled self to sleep
    Last edited by magda; 05-25-2012 at 02:05 PM.

magda is offline Member
    Well, the hubby's B-day party went OK - lots of yummy food, wine and nice company. However (there is a however) I went totally overboard with tiramisu. I mean TOTALLY. I can't be near sweets or I can basically eat any amount :-/ I also overdid it a bit with wine, so the next morning was no fun - sugar + booze hangover. Oh well... I picked myself up and started over. We even had a bike ride to move around a bit and not spend the whole day vegging out on the coach.

Today, I did sprints. It was a good workout that left me really tired. I really gave it my all and was drenched with sweat in less than 20 minutes. Food-wise it was OK too.

B: Greek yogurt, strawberries, nuts and a bit of almond butter

L: Leftover curried chicken salad with apples

Snack: Cottage cheese, a hard boiled egg and a tomato mashed together - it was good but a bit too much...

D: Salad with pork road, blue cheese, tomatoes and strawberry vinegret. Fantastic Then I had a kiwi and a glass of tomato juice with tabasco as a dessert (hmm... tabasco for dessert? I'm weird )

magda is offline Member
    Soooo, today I'm gonna rant a bit
    Last 2-3 days were not good in terms of food and fitness... 2 days ago I went to dinner with my husband. I wanted something more or less primal so I ordered grilled pork with sauteed mushrooms and baked potatoes. I wasn't planning on eating it all, but here's problem #1 When faced with food I have trouble stopping to eat when I'm no longer hungry. If the food is good, I will eat it all, feel stuffed, sick and miserable. Well, that happened that evening. Next morning I woke up still feeling as if I'd swallowed a brick. Well, here comes problem #2 I can't imagine missing a meal so instead of passing on breakfast and maybe having some tea to soothe my stomach, I ate... oatmeal. Yes, real oatmeal with oats (and some protein powder and fruit).

I don't know if it was the oatmeal itself or the protein powder disagreeing with me (whey, new to me) but I ended up feeling even worse. Throughout the day I ate 1/2 a banana, some strawberries and a cup of yogurt, not to punish myself or something, I just really couldn't stomach any legit food and started getting light headed, because I was hungry...

And then problem #3 happened. My friend asked me to go to work out with her. I knew the classes because I used to go there - it was 90 minutes of high intensity cardio class with some low weights strength training. I used to enjoy it, but then I dropped it for some reason and got more into lifting, power yoga... Anyway, yesterday happened to be the last class, because the gym schedule is changing or something, so I decided I may as well go. It ended up being 90 minutes long interval training - 35 seconds work, 12 seconds rest, with some sprints and maybe 3 one minute long breaks. One of the girls who was wearing heart rate monitor had HR of ~150 after 10 minutes of stretching!!! Since I didn't feel very good in the first place, I barely survived and had a "discussion" with my friend who was pumped about burning so may calories. I told her that I thought so much HIIT was unhealthy and stupid, not to mention painful and f*cking boring. She strongly disagreed...

Well, after this craziness I hardly had enough energy to drag myself home... Of course today I'm sore from head to toe and still don't have much energy, but I'm not sure whether it's from the workout, crappy weather or whatever else (PMS maybe :P) I didn't work out today. I ate quite well until evening when I ate a sandwich. A legit sandwich with freshly baked bread (and smoked salmon and egg, sunflower sprouts and tomato). It was good, but I feel guilty now

I also noticed that I'm getting kind of bulkier. I lost some weight at the very beginning (after going primal), but now I seem to regain it and then some more... Some of it is definitely new muscle, but I'm afraid not all of it. I don't want to gain wegiht (or rather, I don't want to gain inches and that's what's happening, unfortunately). I feel confused. And I don't think I have it in me to come back to 2h aerobic classes a day... Eating primally, I feel good as far as energy levels are concerned and my GI system is also happy, But I'm not quite so happy looking in the mirror... Oh well, I guess I'll go downstairs, make this cauliflower risotto and stop being so cranky. Maybe tomorrow will be better...

magda is offline Member
    Well, here I am again

Things have been a bit rough when it comes to food... Long story short

- I attended a few parties during which my eating was totally out of control... I dominated multiple bags of chips + salsa and guacamole, not to mention cakes, muffins and all that jazz... It was kind of beyond my control - I knew I shouldn't be doing it and I still did. Of course I felt like crap on the next morning. This happened once or twice, but there was one episode that made me even more concerned...

- I was making some kind of pie for a family celebration. The pie crust was supposed to be paleo, so I made it nut and honey based. I don't remember why, but somehow the filling didn't turn out at all and I had to toss the whole thing away. However, instead of doing this, I scraped and ditched the filling and proceeded to eat most of the crust. Yes, I actually ate most of a 10 inch pie crust... Uhmmm... I'm kind of ashamed to even write that and think about it again...

After that no more scary binges happened, even though I attended a wedding party where the amount of food was just insane... There were like 10 hot courses served during the reception and countless snacks available all the time... I ate 2 hot courses and nibbled on some snacks but I managed to keep it within reasonable boundaries. I ate some bread and cake though. And there was a lot of booze involved. Oh well...

What I noticed is that I can't seem to settle and be calm about my diet. I either overeat to the point where I'm stuffed or switch to CW low fat foods and bird portions and go hungry all the time. Either way it sucks - freaking disordered eating patterns...

I also tried to start the Whole30 but towards the end of day 2 I got a headache of my life. And on day 3 I woke up starving but the thought of eggs + meat for breakfast made me sick. So what did I do instead? I had some oats... Well, I didn't even finish them when I realized it was REALLY bad idea. I'll spare you the details but basically my digestive tract showed me the middle finger (talk about a crazy metaphor ) I have no effing idea how I managed to live on grains for 29+ years and now a bowl of oatmeal almost kills me in 10 minutes...

Needless to say, no grains have been consumed since the unfortunate oatmeal accident. However, I also decided not to do the whole30 for the time being. With my messed up attitude to food and crazy eating patterns I think it would bring more harm than good to me. I decided to be easy on myself - I'm going to eat primally, but including dairy (mainly in the form of cottage cheese and Greek yogurt, organic when possible and really high quality cheese to season my salads etc.) and fruit (there are tons of fresh fruit in season right now and the thought of not eating strawberries of fresh peaches makes me sad). I'm going to focus on fixing my eating habits and eating to be healthy and feel good (and not to gain much weight).

I'll be working out the way I like (i.e. body pump, some crossfit WODs, some biking and whatever else I feel like doing) and will try not to freak out when I'm too sore to work out or just want to hang out with friends instead. I'll also ditch the scale, maybe for good. I'm not overweight and since I got more into weight lifting, I've gained some muscle and the number I see on the scale messes up my mood and self esteem.

I'll be recording my ups and downs here. So today has been really good so far

Breakfast: full fat cottage cheese with Greek yogurt, mashed with a banana and some strawberries + a BIG scoop of sunflower butter and a handful of nuts and cocoa nibs. This is my dream breakfast and it makes me sooo happy to start my day Also keeps me full for ~5 hours

I drank an americano with cream on my way to the office. BTW I love the taste of coffee with cream, but I noticed it actually makes me sleepy which kind of defeats the purpose of coffee...

Lunch: Awesome egg salad: 2 eggs, broccoli and 1/2 avocado, all mashed with some mustard, salt and pepper + a chopped tomato and a side of some green beans. And another coffee with cream which made me sleepy again...what the hell? I hate black coffee... Although maybe I'll be able to warm up to it if I actually invest in good coffee, because the thing we have at our office hardly deserves that name

I rode my bike to the office and will ride it back (obviously ) which will be about 15 miles total. No more workout planned for today since something happened to my knee during body pump yesterday. Fortunately it's better today and hopefully will be ready for another body pump tomorrow

magda is offline Member
    The 2nd day of my comeback is going well
    Yesterday I had an awesome and super quick dinner: broccoli and carrot slaw with some chopped homemade pork roast and super-spicy almond butter based sauce. And a kiwi for dessert.

Today I had my usual breakfast of cottage cheese, fruit and sunflower butter + americano with cream. Lunch was chicken and zucchini curry + another coffee with cream. I have power pump class planned for the afternoon. And some fun recipe ideas to test and blog about during the weekend

magda is offline Member
    Yesterday I had an awesome power pump class. I felt like it was time to increase my weights and I was really surprised, ho well it went. I really feel a huge improvement in the strength of my legs and arms and my arm muscles are really showing which is great for the tank to season I need to work on the depth of my squat, but I really feel I'm doing a good job. Food is going OK too. Yesterday after lunch I had a cup of cottage cheese with apple and cinnamon for a snack/pre workout meal and then great tuna salad for dinner (with an indecent amount of homemade guacamole ). Today breakfast was my usual bowl of cottage cheese goodness. I just love it so much I think I could have it for breakfast every day for the rest of my life

I was going to do an at-home WOD today, but it's so hot that the mere thought about 7 rounds of 50 burpees or something similar seems crazy. Maybe I'll hit the gym in the evening and do some sprints in more decent temperature... We'll see. I'm also keeping the promise I made to myself to not step on the scale every morning (or actually not at all for several months). I'll be judging my progress by how I look and how my clothe fit. I won't allow a stupid number to make or break my day.

magda is offline Member
    I didn't end up going to the gym yesterday. I did end up doing a lot of cleaning though, which was MUCH needed I also had my first mini-IF or rather mini-WHEN. I ate a meal of chicken curry about 5 PM and I actually had one more meal planned for the evening. However it was hot and I didn't get hungry, so I decided that I'm not going to eat just because I "should". I got really hungry very late in the evening but I figured a dinner at 12:30 AM wasn't a good idea So I just went to sleep and woke up to my cottage cheese breakfast. What a surprise

We (hubby & I) have a workout planned for the evening and we plan to bike to the gym (even though it's still freaking hot, but maybe it will cool down a bit later). Off to get some work done.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast