Thread: "Our" Ann Cooper talks school lunches in the Washpo page

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I guess a lot of us love Ann Cooper after discovering her talk on TED. (Search "Ann Cooper" at www.ted.com .) I think a lot of us are cheering her on for changing school lunches in Berkely and now getting national audiences.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/04/AR2010030404039.html

Anyway, that column made its way to our local paper.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member

Hers is one of my favorite TED talks, I posted it on my facebook a long while back but nobody cared. I guess my friends need to have kids before this matters.

I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

maba is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the link OTB. I'll have to look up her talk on TED, have only seen Jamie Oliver's talk on school lunches.

I wasn't aware how school lunch programs worked. I thought it was upto the individual school/ school district to decide how to run the program. We live in a neighborhood where the property taxes are high, which I believed meant more money went to schools and therefore, they would have better lunch programs. Am I wrong?

Timothy is offline Senior Member

I certainly agree that children need healthier lunches, and I'm not that familiar with Ann Cooper, but in her article she recommends implementing something called the Institute of Medicine school food guidelines. Some of it is good, like cutting sugar, but some of it is very bad, like reducing saturated fat, minimizing all fat, and increasing grains.

Here's the link if you want to pick it apart:

http://www.iom.edu/~/media/Files/Report%20Files/2007/Nutrition-Standards-for-Foods-in-Schools-Leading-the-Way-toward-Healthier-Youth/factsheet.ashx

I suspect that as long as the government is paying for school lunches, the menu will be more reflective of politics than nutrition.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Ann may not be Primal, but I would much rather send my kids to a school where she directs the lunch program than the usual crap. That's why my one daughter packs lunches most days.