Page 66 of 70 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768 ... LastLast

Thread: What's---The name of my journal page 66

Primal Fuel
    Thanks. I was pretty fortunate on the shot placement, I was going for a lung shot so as to not mess up the shoulder but got a little carried away and hit below the ribs, essentially a gut shot. It clipped her spine and major arteries though and she died within 15 seconds. I'm too tender hearted to try to be fancy with a lung shot again because that shot placement could have turned ugly. I wish I would have weighed it because it was a pretty doggone big deer. I hope to get it from the processor today and maybe I'll weigh the meat to at least get an idea. Loin cloth pictures are probably best shared with just the missus.
    To keep this post from getting too detailed I'll say that it's been awhile since I've had to field dress something as big as a deer. It's a very primitive feeling, one like "Boy, I really don't want to do this but I have to" kind of feeling. It's gross, but not at the same time. It's life at it's most basic. Now that I have some meat in the freezer, I can be a little more picky about what I kill. I saw trail camera pictures yesterday of a 7 point and an 8 point that haven't been killed this year. The biggest buck I've killed was a 6 point and it wasn't very big, so a big 8 point would be awesome.

In other news: I've started back do a Starting Strength workout. I almost upped my whole milk intake to a gallon a day like recommended (usually 2-3 qts.). I've gained 16 lbs and my working set on squats have went up 85 lbs and I have been adding 5 lbs every workout, sometimes 10 lbs. I have no idea what my long term goals are, but I would like to stay at about 185 lbs.

Oh, and batch 2 of bacon is freaking awesome.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    For the uninitiated with hunting: what do these "# points" mean?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Points are the numbers of tips on the antlers. Typically, the number of points go up every year but are really correlated with the diet of the deer. A buck with a good variety of food during the summer months will have bigger antlers. For the uninitiated, let's say that a buck born this spring will probably be a spike, or 2 semi-straight antlers (think antelope), a 1 year old may have 4 points (a forked antler each side) and it goes up from there. They usually peak at an age around 4-5 years old.

The deer processed out to something like this: 35 lbs of ground and sausage (maybe 26-27 to 8-9...more sausage than I wanted!), 4 shoulder roasts (2-4 lbs each), and the 2 tenderloins (2 lbs each). That's a pretty big deer, IMHO. Saturday I took a pound of ground and a pound of sausage and made some of the best deer chili that I've made. Coincidentally, also the first batch of deer chili I've ever made, but I digress. It was still awesome. Now to tend to the tanning of the hide I got from my BIL. The processor didn't save my deer's hide, I think I was supposed to go get it the next day...so that sucks but oh well.
    I also got to play with my Christmas present! A vacuum sealer! Woohoo! I feel like buying a whole side of beef just so I can vacuum seal it!

Why does so much of it end up ground? I still have never eaten venison and would like to. Doesn't seem like the kind of thing you'd want to get in a restaurant unless it's near an area with active hunters (Maine would probably be okay, but Boston is probably not advisable).

Well, they'll do it any way that you want it done. *thoughtful pause*
    I didn't know exactly what to ask for, no one does really, because you don't know how many pounds of meat that your deer will make. Even if you knew that the deer weighed, like 100 lbs after field dressed (no guts), you still wouldn't know how many pounds of that is the head, bones, hide, fat, etc. So I wrote the different things I wanted and they decide how much of what I get.
    As far as I know, since it's a game animal it's illegal to sell deer meat. So getting it in a restaurant would be sketchy. However, there's a processor not far away that takes donations and then gives it to the local food kitchen for the homeless/needy. A lot of people are just after big bucks for wall mounts and don't really want to eat the meat, so it's a perfect fit.

What, you didn't want deer heart? I wonder if that's actually something people eat. Probably. Primal folks will eat just about anything that came from an animal, it seems.

Oh hmm... I didn't know it was illegal to sell. Do people raise deer (what else is "game"?) to mitigate this?

In Alabama you have to have a license to have deer fenced in. There's a couple places close by that does, but I would see it as more of a hassle.

I'm sure people eat the heart and liver, the next one I kill I'll overnight it to you because I sure ain't eating it.

Deer roast with potatoes (Oh noes! I'm going to dead!), onions, carrots, and cream of mushroom soup is getting its crockpot on right now, as we speak. That's really all I have going on that's worthy of being typed. I bore myself a lot. I mean, practically every day.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
    Deer roast with potatoes (Oh noes! I'm going to dead!), onions, carrots, and cream of mushroom soup is getting its crockpot on right now, as we speak. That's really all I have going on that's worthy of being typed. I bore myself a lot. I mean, practically every day.
    Sorry, but I can't support this. Eating tasty venison, onions and carrots with your potatoes totally removes any of the benefits of the all potato diet. Epic fail sir. Epic. Fail.

Yes, that is the jealousy talking.

Good job on the deer.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Page 66 of 70 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768 ... LastLast