Page 27 of 70 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 693

Thread: What's---The name of my journal page 27

  1. #261
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    North Alabama
    Posts
    2,046
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Again, I'm a veteran and take great pride in the Anthem so something like that I would find to be offensive. After giving up my life (albeit temporarily) to my country, I get offended easily when people take it for granted.
    Jenn, why do people not see the military as a viable occupation? Or at least a viable stepping stone? Some folks see it as a last chance effort at life. If you're constantly in trouble with the law or something, it's best if you join. I think I would have enjoyed the structure of it. Unless you want to move up in rank, I can see the release it would be to just follow orders. I don't have to think, just do what I'm told. Most of the people I know who joined pre-Sept. 2001 enjoyed their time and world travel. (One exception, my best good friend who joined Jan. 2001 and went to Iraq in '04, he did not enjoy his time...well, he didn't until that point came to where he knew they weren't going to send him back. He's the same old guy I used to know, but you can tell that there's something weighing on him. To say I'm proud or appreciative of him would be understatements.) Anyway, my cousin's bf went to Iraq a couple times and when he cycled out he joined the national guard. But he's very uptight and likes extreme structure, plus, he's a pretty high ranking dude for his age. Anywho, stepping off my soapbox now.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

  2. #262
    jenn26point2's Avatar
    jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    7,474
    When you've served in the US Military and have saluted the flag countless times or saluted the Anthem countless more times, anyone singing the Anthem in any way other than respectfully and in honor of our fighting men and women is offensive. Just like desecrating the flag is offensive. It's just fabric, but it means a whole lot more to some people than you could ever understand without serving yourself. I get physically angry when I see people not removing their hats, continuing to walk around, or continuing their conversations during the playing of the Anthem. It's a 3 minute song. Surely you can take off your hat, stand in one place, and pause your conversation for 3 short minutes while the rest of us honor those who have fallen or are still fighting for our freedoms.

    **Sorry for the soapbox**
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)




  3. #263
    jenn26point2's Avatar
    jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    7,474
    Quote Originally Posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
    Jenn, why do people not see the military as a viable occupation? Or at least a viable stepping stone? Some folks see it as a last chance effort at life. If you're constantly in trouble with the law or something, it's best if you join. I think I would have enjoyed the structure of it. Unless you want to move up in rank, I can see the release it would be to just follow orders. I don't have to think, just do what I'm told. Most of the people I know who joined pre-Sept. 2001 enjoyed their time and world travel. (One exception, my best good friend who joined Jan. 2001 and went to Iraq in '04, he did not enjoy his time...well, he didn't until that point came to where he knew they weren't going to send him back. He's the same old guy I used to know, but you can tell that there's something weighing on him. To say I'm proud or appreciative of him would be understatements.) Anyway, my cousin's bf went to Iraq a couple times and when he cycled out he joined the national guard. But he's very uptight and likes extreme structure, plus, he's a pretty high ranking dude for his age. Anywho, stepping off my soapbox now.
    While I no longer wear the uniform, I still work for the Army as a civilian employee. I joined because I didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up (still don't), I wanted to become a stronger person inside and out, and wanted to help a cause that was greater than myself. I loved my time in the Army. I would have stayed, but they kicked me out when I couldn't deploy due to post partum depression and PTSD. Long story short, I was called up for deployment 3 months after my son was born. It sent me into a severe depression with panic episodes. I was placed on a mental health "profile" preventing me from deploying (great for me to stay home with my son) but it also prevented me from being able to carry a weapon, access ammunition, etc. As a supply sergeant who was in control of such things, I lost access to my arms vault. Without access to my arms vault, others had to do my job (daily counts, monthly inventories, etc). I was later medically discharged because I could not do my job, was not qualified for any other job and my command was unwilling to reclassify me in other areas as there were no openings in my command to move into. I would have loved to stay in the Army. I was so proud to wear our Nation's uniform and have our Nation's flag on my right shoulder.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)




  4. #264
    canio6's Avatar
    canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    S. Arizona
    Posts
    11,509
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    While I no longer wear the uniform, I still work for the Army as a civilian employee. I joined because I didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up (still don't), I wanted to become a stronger person inside and out, and wanted to help a cause that was greater than myself. I loved my time in the Army. I would have stayed, but they kicked me out when I couldn't deploy due to post partum depression and PTSD. Long story short, I was called up for deployment 3 months after my son was born. It sent me into a severe depression with panic episodes. I was placed on a mental health "profile" preventing me from deploying (great for me to stay home with my son) but it also prevented me from being able to carry a weapon, access ammunition, etc. As a supply sergeant who was in control of such things, I lost access to my arms vault. Without access to my arms vault, others had to do my job (daily counts, monthly inventories, etc). I was later medically discharged because I could not do my job, was not qualified for any other job and my command was unwilling to reclassify me in other areas as there were no openings in my command to move into. I would have loved to stay in the Army. I was so proud to wear our Nation's uniform and have our Nation's flag on my right shoulder.

    Ouch, that sucks. All part of the Army caring about families or something.

    Don't get me wrong, I am very proud to be a veteran also, and I salute you for your service, but after spending 36 of my 48 months in the Army collecting seperation pay I have to roll my eyes every time I hear that phrase. Sending you to deploy 3 months after giving birth is excessive. You could have joined your unit mid-deployment or hell, even rear D needs supply.

    Oh, and word up to a fellow DAC.

    I also agree with you somewhat about the athem. It makes me proud everytime I hear it. The words are fine. I just have to say as a person who once tried to sing it, it is a royal bitch to sing. That said, it drives me insane every time I hear some pop 'icon' or R&B singer ruin it. The song has notes. They are nice notes. Sure, they are hard to sing, but that does not mean you need to add 50,000 embellishments to A) cover your poor vocal technique or B) make it about you not about those who actually deserve it.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

    What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

  5. #265
    jenn26point2's Avatar
    jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    7,474
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Sure, they are hard to sing, but that does not mean you need to add 50,000 embellishments to A) cover your poor vocal technique or B) make it about you not about those who actually deserve it.
    AMEN!

    I could have moved to a different command, but at that point I was so frazzled and stressed out and my mental health was so jacked up that I took my out. I had completed 9 years and was ok with that. Sadly, a 92Y supply sergeant doesn't have many skills aside from counting beans and bullets so it's difficult to find a job "on the outside". I wasn't done with college yet, so I wasn't really marketable, ya know? I found a job with an industrial supplier counting nuts and bolts... then landed my job as a DAC. It's not ideal, but it'll do til I figure out what I want to do for the rest of my life.

    Because of that whole ordeal, the Army psychiatrist said I'd be on meds for the rest of my life and the VA doctor agreed, so the Army is still paying me each month on top of my current DAC salary, so it's not all bad.

    And thank you for your service.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)




  6. #266
    canio6's Avatar
    canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    S. Arizona
    Posts
    11,509
    Yeah, I feel you on that one. That said, I like government service in that I have healthcare, I know I will have retirement at some point, and they match with the TSP. It is not the most thrilling work in the world though.

    It's good to hear the VA is paying you. A buddy of mine who I was in basic, AIT, Korea, AZ, and Iraq with is getting something like 80% disability for PTSD and depression. We were in all the same freaking units/deployments etc. Hell, we drove the same convoys. I'm wondering why I don't get a dime. Damned sanity is not all it is cracked up to be at times (okay I get 10% for a bum shoulder)

    (the above is not to make light of your situation at all. I can't imagine giving birth and leaving 3 months later. I just find it interesting how two people reacted to the same situations so differently.)
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

    What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

  7. #267
    jenn26point2's Avatar
    jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    7,474
    Some people's brains are wired to handle stress and others aren't, I guess. I get 50% disability, which is nice b/c it's a nice check each month and still allows me to work.

    but I'm hell bent on proving the Army psych wrong by getting off the meds using the Primal Blueprint.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)




  8. #268
    canio6's Avatar
    canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    S. Arizona
    Posts
    11,509
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Some people's brains are wired to handle stress and others aren't, I guess. I get 50% disability, which is nice b/c it's a nice check each month and still allows me to work.

    but I'm hell bent on proving the Army psych wrong by getting off the meds using the Primal Blueprint.
    I guess.

    Hell yeah. Prove them wrong.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

    What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

  9. #269
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    North Alabama
    Posts
    2,046
    Canio, I topped dropping a ball on 1's face...the head coach had me feeding the pitching machine for batting practice last night. On the last ball, the batter ran, simple enough, right? 1 hit pretty well, better than some of the older kids. However, we said "OK, last ball, you run ok? Everybody, he's running on this one. 1, you run ok?" As I'm feeding a ball in, the coach behind him encourages him again to RUN!, well, 1 drops his bat and takes off (before the pitch lol) at the same time the ball leaves my fingers and BAM! hits him right in the side as he makes that first step across the plate. I couldn't help but laugh, I was like "we said run when you hit the ball, did you hit the ball? No, no you didn't." Poor guy got confused with everyone yelling run and just took off. So, one night I hit him in the face, the next I get him hit with a 40mph ball in the ribs. I think I've got Dad of the Year about wrapped up this year. Better than the other little kid who missed a ball thrown to him and caught it on the eye. He had stitch marks under his eye. I bet he looks cool today.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

  10. #270
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    North Alabama
    Posts
    2,046
    *I took my wife to a restaurant.
    The waiter, for some reason, took my order first.
    "I'll have the rump steak, rare, please."
    He said, "Aren't you worried about the mad cow?"
    "Nah, she can order for herself."
    And that's when the fight started.....
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Page 27 of 70 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •