Page 18 of 70 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread: What's---The name of my journal page 18

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I realize not everyone likes whatever I like, but IMO the Beatles are the center of the rock canon, the way Shakespeare is the center of the lit canon. In fact, a lot of the same folks who don't like the Beatles would argue the Bard's spot in his canon as well.

When I was little, the song Tomorrow Never Knows (with all its backwards tape loops and weird percussive beats) used to sound like a big cave full of bats, and it would literally scare me. I can kind of feel that same emotion when I listen to it now, a primal (for lack of better word) wrenching, music being able to create a weird visualistic theater in the mind. I'd listen to it and look at the bizarre cover art and be taken along in daydreams very large for a 5-year-old's head. I have a difficult time finding music now that affects me that immediately; of course, I'm no longer 5, either, so music per se is not some new experience.

But if you play those 2 Beatles albums, I may very well start jumping up and down on the sofa.

Side note: was listening to classic rock the other weekend as I was doing some shit around the house, happy tripping off some fond memories, guilty pleasure digging some others, rolling my eyes at a bunch... and after a couple of hours, I fell to my knees and thanked God for inventing punk. It was a necessary correction.

Well Canio, if you don't like Sungha Jung, you're probably a communist. Anyway, so night #2 all by my lonesome was better. I grilled steak and onions, finished a project for church, cleaned out the bottom of the bathroom cabinet (new cabinet coming in Friday, going with double sinks before we put it on the market), washed whites, and unloaded dishwasher. Whew. That was after work and before 8. Don't tell my wife that I'm efficient when I want to be. Then I proceeded to *try* to unplug 1's Wii and hook up the DVD player. FAIL. It's like a labyrinth of wires behind the TV. I watched the first 2 episodes of Band of Brothers, but the color isn't right. Everything has a greenish tint to it. Dunno if that's the shoddy DVD player or something still isn't hooked up right. Tonight I'm going to unhook the DVR and plug the DVD player into their holes. While eating supper I watched some of the "Hatfields & McCoys" show that is out on the History Channel. I actually did LOL when dude comes back from a union prisoner camp and his wife goes to sit on the bed and says, "I'm prepared to do my duty as a wife, but I ask that you spill your seed outside of me. I can't endure another childbirth." Something about that just cracks me up. Lotta lust in that house.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
    Well Canio, if you don't like Sungha Jung, you're probably a communist.
    That explains my excessive use of the word "comrade"

and I like some music. I went to a Beetles tribute concert and enjoyed it. I do occasionally hear songs I like. I just do not get into it like many people seem to. Generally I have no idea who the song is by etc. That said, I did hear that call me maybe or however the frack it goes song the other day. Yeah, that song is the absolute suck. How the hell did it ever get recorded?

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
    I'll see your awesome guitar and raise you a little Asian prodigy...feast your ears upon the young Sungha Jung:
    Wow!

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I enjoy music to the point of using it to drown out the silence. I can't just sit in a room and listen to music or discuss music like that. I got bored watching Mtv when I was a kid. Music to me is something that is to be played in the background while you do something else:

Country - cleaning, gardening, etc
    Rock - driving, working, running

Pop - ok during a workout or when you need a pick-me-up.
    Rap - ok occasionally, but recently my husband has been playing the 90's stuff (Dre, Snoop, Eminem) a bit much while sitting at his computer and watching tv.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    One of Boyfriend's failings: thinking the Beatles sound "generic". If they sound generic, it's only because they have influenced so many other artists that came after, and he probably heard those first.

He grew up on "classic rock". I grew up on Beatles.
    my husband too. randomly he'll hear a song and say "oh this is a good one." "oh, that's the beatles" "really?? i didn't think they sounded like that." duuude...their music spans a few decades, there will be a slight variation in the sound, right?

i don't like listening to music when i'm expected to pay attention to other people. If i'm just cooking, relaxing, gardening, walking, whatever, then i love just having it absorb me. but if i have to talk to people or read, i just can't have it playing; not even in the background. i LOVE turning it up loud in a dark room and just lying there. no need for drugs with an experience like that.

Also, have always enjoyed classical, and probably have gotten more into classical and jazz over the past couple of decades than any other genres. Remember digging out Mom's box set of Eugene Ormandy conducting the Philadelphia Orchestra's complete Beethoven symphonies. So, this would be around the time I was into 70s rock like Led Zep, BOC, Sabbath, etc. When you listen to vinyl with headphones on, and crank the bitch up, there's a telegraphing effect whereby the stylus picks up the squiggle of the groove before it gets there... Basically, you hear a whisper version of a riff, then a slightly louder version of the whisper, then BAM! That's analog for you. My favorite thing was to turn Ludwig's Ninth up to insane decibels and listen to the second movement, because when those tympani came in, baby, that was like a wild bear just ripped your liver out.

I also have a very visceral reaction to a lot of Bach, who's considered sort of mathematical, but the 1958 recording by Glenn Gould of the Goldberg Variations (complete with Gould's recorded grunts; I prefer it to the more "sophisticated" 1982 recording) and Yo-Yo Ma's Unaccompanied Cello Suite recordings move something around in my heart in strange and mysterious ways. Satie is perfect rainy day music that will make you want to cry cathartically and kick yourself for every stupid thing you've ever done in your life (Gymnopedies, especially); either that or go to an art museum and feel cultured. I love the requiem masses. Love the Firebird Suite. So much great stuff.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Cello suites... *swoon*
    It's not just in my heart... it's other places too, in my gut, and lower. Makes me pant a bit.

I'm quite sure a competent cellist could make me do anything.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

*Note to self. Buy Cello for dummies*
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    *whew* After seeing all the classical talk I can freely admit to Evita being my "cleaning" music. It's very singable and danceable which helps me keep moving.

The first two stations on my Pandora site were Aaron Copeland and Flogging Molly. One for concentration, one to occupy half my brain so I could use the balance to answer the same questions indefinately.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Page 18 of 70 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast