Page 17 of 70 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: What's---The name of my journal page 17

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Most of my musical nostalgia at this point is kind of negative. There is some music that I listened to in my mid-teens that I cannot listen to now, it brings back too much negativity. There is other music from that time period that makes me feel good and especially reminds me of being outside (walking to and from school, vacations in Maine) that I still listen to. There is even music that I associate with the beginning of my relationship with Boyfriend (almost 2.5 yrs ago now). I look forward to discovering "new" music (to me) and making more associations.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Wow, FW, that's quite a list. I agree that music today is weak and lame. I like country music, not really any of it going on today. I found it very ironic when Ashton Kutcher was blamed for making fun of country music by wearing a Nudie type suit to an awards show, hello? Is anyone awake folks? Today's country is shoddy pop. Today's rock will NEVER be labeled classic rock. Today's rap, well, just sucks. You can be a pop singer if you're pretty and/or a teenage boy. Personal image should never ever be a deciding factor in music, hell, singing well isn't a per-requisite for a great band/singer (Hello there Willie Nelson, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty). Let me hear someone that has a cool sound OUTSIDE of a recording studio.

Now, this is music friends and neighbors. Complete with little screw-ups and quick tunings of a guitar. This man makes a guitar talk, to me anyways. I wish I was a piano player that could also make sweet love to a guitar like him.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Wish the song was blocked out at work. But agree in general with the idea that pitch-perfect gloss does not make a great singer: David Byrne said that having a great voice means you can't trust the person singing, which makes sense.

The other thing about music concerns the migration of media... Growing up in the vinyl era was super cool. You'd guy buy a used LP, some Black Sabbath thing, and it would smell like someone's bedroom where a ton of pot had been smoked. The fresh albums had this crazy new ink smell that was like some olfactory component. The cover art was big enough to matter. The order of songs was important, and it was one reason so many prog bands and art rockers constructed suites of inter-related songs. Even when songs weren't intended to be "suites," you had to listen in the order they were laid down on wax, and sometimes they became ad hoc suites just by virtue of juxtaposition. The last 3 songs of the first Ramones album have nothing to do with each other, but you hear the feedback just barely die off from Let's Dance (some 50s remake) before they kick into I Don't Wanna Walk Around with You before throwing fucking sonic slabs of concrete directly at your head with Today Your Love, Tomorrow the World, to the point that I crave listening to those songs together. Ditto the first three tracks off of the Stooges Fun House, which just build from the slinky predator cat sound of Down on the Street to the unzipped libido of Loose to the burnt guitar brashness of TV Eye. Fucking Funhouse, it's the id unleashed. Mrs. FW and I went out with some of our lesbian friends to some bar (where I was handed my ass at billiards), and I played 1970 from Fun House. The ladies were not pleased by Iggy's id, apparently.

The other cool thing was that lots of LPs came with posters and big-assed booklets. Instant room deco.

Everything's a la carte now, which is what it is. But like if you look up the cover art that outfits like Hipgnosis used to roll out on a regular basis, it was just fun to look at that shit and wonder WTF it was all about.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Hi JYACM,

For guitar playing these guys are pretty amazing. If you are home alone I suggest turning it up and let it wash over you.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Hi JYACM,

For guitar playing these guys are pretty amazing. If you are home alone I suggest turning it up and let it wash over you.
    I'll see your awesome guitar and raise you a little Asian prodigy...feast your ears upon the young Sungha Jung:
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    One of Boyfriend's failings: thinking the Beatles sound "generic". If they sound generic, it's only because they have influenced so many other artists that came after, and he probably heard those first.

He grew up on "classic rock". I grew up on Beatles.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Generic what, exactly? It's difficult to think of a band that evolved so greatly as the Beatles. Early stuff vs. The White Album? IMHO, some of their songs obviously sound part and parcel of an era (early stuff), and some it is just sitting outside of time entirely (Strawberry Fields Forever, Come Together, weird little shit like Blue Jay Way). Some of the guitar work is strange and marvelous, but restrained; Ringo's drumming has steadily grown on me over the decades, how much it conveys in just a little shuffle.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    *looks around sheepishly*
    I don't really like the beetles.
    I know... there are some good songs that I do like, but a lot of it sounds like boy band top 40 tripe to me honestly.
    Feel free to stone me!
    I do however give their credit for the good stuff, and their huge influence.

Also... some artists are still laying tracks in that old album format, where they sort of mesh together and make sense as a story as a while. This is something I really like.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

canio6 Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    *looks around sheepishly*
    I don't really like the beetles.
    Eh, don't feel bad. I look at all the music videos and such posted here and wonder wtf I am missing. I've never been into the whole music scene. Rather strange since I minored in music and am only a few classes away from a BM. People say, "Don't you miss the music from when we were coming up?" Eh, no?

That said, my ex and my current wife know more about contemporary music than I even knew existed. Apparently that provides balance to a relationship or something.

Page 17 of 70 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast