Page 16 of 70 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: What's---The name of my journal page 16

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Holy crap you young folk. Born in 1988? Your earliest memories are my high school years. 1975 represent!

oh, and you kids today! *grumble grumble!*
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Uh oh... looks like I'm the cougar in the house!
    RAWR!
    1973... *sigh*
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Born in 85, and nowhere near old or young.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Uh oh... looks like I'm the cougar in the house!
    RAWR!
    1973... *sigh*
    Cougar huh? *thoughtful pause* *still pausing*

*still pausing*
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    1984. around '97 is when i sport of started paying attention to pop culture and music. i remember when kurt cobain died, '94 maybe? my brother cried and was moody for days. still don't necessarily believe it was a suicide.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    1983 here. I remember being annoyed in school that Russia couldn't decide whether they were Russia or the Soviet Union or what. Other than that, I seldom paid attention to what was going on. Although I do have a hard time (but getting easier) telling the difference between music from the 60s, 70s,and particularly 80s and 90s apart since I was introduced to it all at the same time.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    my dad loves music and we were constantly surrounded by it in his house. mostly later 60s-70s and a little of the later years. i associate music more with whomever introduced it to me rather than the era.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    1983 here. I remember being annoyed in school that Russia couldn't decide whether they were Russia or the Soviet Union or what. Other than that, I seldom paid attention to what was going on. Although I do have a hard time (but getting easier) telling the difference between music from the 60s, 70s,and particularly 80s and 90s apart since I was introduced to it all at the same time.
    Ditto. I remember the USSR, Russia, the split (whaddaya mean more countries in Europe that I hafta memorize). I was raised on the 60s- "current" music, along with a heavy dash of classical and jazz. I still have trouble differentiating between the rock eras and between instrumental rock, classical, and jazz.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    i associate music more with whomever introduced it to me rather than the era.
    I associate music more with girls/emotions/memories than eras of the music, because listened to old and new songs. Some songs remind me of a time when I was smitten with this girl or that (George Strait), some songs remind me of summertime (Buffett), some songs remind me of happy times (Skynyrd), some of sad (everyone has a sad song). Sometimes songs make me remember smells. Here's a classic from drinking on backroads.

This song reminds me of trips to the Tennessee line where there was a beer joint with a drive thru window (yes, yes I did say drive thru). Once I got in with the owner and he would sell to me, I had to make a trip or two up there during the week to stay fresh in his mind.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

PrimalCon New York
    I don't want to threadjack with way too much musical reminiscence, since Finnegans Wake, Inc. was founded in 1964, but I agree that specific songs and artists can transport me to specific time frames, memories, and moods. Mom used to play the Beatles Revolver and Magical Mystery Tour albums when she did Saturday cleaning. She also loved opera, and my step-father was a jazz afficianado (had a radio show for 30 years, got lots of promo stuff, some of it rock that wound up in my collection). The 70s was all about classic rock and disco, and then punk (the real stuff) came in ~1977, but like most kids it took me a while to catch up to what that was all about. New wave was sort of punk lite, but that was the gateway drug. The 1980s were largely a pile of suck, made all the more pungent by the fact that I worked in several record stores as a young slubberdegullion. The nascent rap movement was fun, plus I got into more experimental stuff and just generally became more eclectic. My playlist back then might include a morning thump of James Brown, a healthy rotation of Iggy and the Stooges (still in rotation!), Einstein on the Beach, Butthole Surfers, Dead Kennedys, Big Science, Ramones, Gun Club, Television, Miles Davis, Throbbing Gristle, Stockhausen... By the 90s, I was moving on in terms of who I was hanging with, and most of my friends were ~6 years younger. They were all into Nirvana and Pearl Jam and Soundgarden, and I was a bit jaded about them, but after a while I started to like that even if I saw the original source inspirations. I kept getting more eclectic, adding Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett, and the second wave industrial stuff like Ministry, NiN, RevCo.

I have to admit that over the past 10-15 years my uptake of newer stuff has placed me directly in the codger category. Too much music now just sounds... weak, uninspired, fucking maudlin emo shit, or rap that has long since lost its appeal, or glossy pop that sounds like music to get enemas to. Some stuff still tickles me fancy though: Black Keys, some White Stripes, the Kills (Fuck the People!), and I've recently re-discovered how brilliant the Allman Brothers Band is, so that led to some of their offshoots like the Tedeski-Trucks Band.

Still trying to get all my CDs to MP3, and have a ton of vinyl that is taking a long time to transition over.

Page 16 of 70 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast