Thread: Humans found to have sixth taste: fat page

chutchy Guest

Primal Fuel

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/wellbeing/humans-found-to-have-sixth-taste-fat-20100307-pqls.html

Just something that seemed interesting.

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

Interesting, though in the context of the PB, I wonder about this part:

Dr Keast then compared the daily diets of both groups and found those people who were hypersensitive to fat ate less of it in their daily diet. They also had lower body mass indexes.

''It appears [hypersensitive] people have a mechanism that is telling them to stop eating it, he said.

The reverse was happening in people who were not sensitive to the taste, said Dr Keast.

''They are over-consuming and this is creating an energy imbalance, which is leading to higher BMI or development of overweight or obesity.''

I don't know whether I'm sensitive to the taste of fat. But I don't think I could possibly force myself to eat MORE fat than I already do, and my BMI is under 19. *shrug*

Jefferson is offline Member

I'll go out on a limb and say that the people with the higher BMI aren't eating anything close to a primal diet. When the fat you're craving comes in the form of French fries cooked in vegetable oil, it becomes evident that we are having two different arguments.

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member

Yeah fat around a steak or butter on veggies =/= greasy donuts (ew).

Kay
    Kay is offline Member

Not very surprising, that we can taste fat. Does anyone really think that low fat milk/cheese tastes as good as the full fat version? Personally I miss the fat in the food when I'm eating at friends' places. It gives the food a fuller taste so to speak!

Maybe those who were more sensitive to the fat taste ate less fat but that doesn't say much. Maybe they ate a less absolute amount of fat but ate less over all. Being sensitive to the taste, I imagine them eating smaller amounts of the full fat version of food.

Among acquaintances/friends, those that are on the leaner side tend to really like cooking/food and use the full versions of everything.

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

Yeah, I guess with the quote above my point is that if those who are not sensitive to the taste of fat are overconsuming, it probably isn't fat that they're overconsuming. It is probably the carbs they're eating along with (or instead of) fat.

But of course that won't be considered, and this report will fit in nicely with the conventional wisdom that eating fat makes you fat.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Ho hum.......human variability. Whoulda thunk?

I wish they did a parallel experiment on sugar and on non-sugar carbs. I'll wager even higher BMI's.