Thread: Convict Conditioning - Squats Step 6 (Close Squats) advice page

JVib is offline Senior Member

Convict Conditioning - Squats Step 6 (Close Squats) advice

I'm just looking for some advice on step 6 of the Convict Conditioning squats progression. Worked on step 5 for a few weeks (twice per week) and had little trouble getting to 2 sets of 50. When I moved to the close squats I can't seem to stretch enough forward, so when I get to the bottom I fall backward. My calves can stretch far enough, but it's like my shins are too tight. I read the advice in the book but I was wondering if someone else experienced this issue, and how you solved it.

Currently I tried holding a 10lb weight in front of me and this helps but my back gives out before my legs. I've also tried doing the squats in front of a pole in my basement, so when I get to the bottom I can hold on to prevent falling backward.

Thank you.
    "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need." ~ Vernon Howard

fengli is offline Junior Member
    Are you able to do a full squat? ie while keeping your feet flat on the ground, lower your bum to almost touch the ground?

Initially I couldn't go much more than a half squat, it took me a few months to get to the point I could go all the way down. I was just randomly practicing going down as far as you can about once per day.

JVib is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by fengli View Post
    Are you able to do a full squat? ie while keeping your feet flat on the ground, lower your bum to almost touch the ground?

Initially I couldn't go much more than a half squat, it took me a few months to get to the point I could go all the way down. I was just randomly practicing going down as far as you can about once per day.
    Yes I can do a full squat with my feet about 12-18 inches apart. It helps that I was doing the "Asian Squat" stretch most days since last summer.
    "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need." ~ Vernon Howard