Thread: Cravings after Meal page

10climbe Guest

As I have been eating about 80% primal for the last two months, I have noticed a large reduction in cravings. Since going primal I have also become much more attuned to the signals my body is giving me, such as if I am hungry or not. One thing that I have noticed is that perhaps the hardest time I have fighting cravings is directly after a meal. Today for example I had a very filling meal that consisted of an avocado, large chicken breast, 3 slices of bacon, a tamato and two cups of leaf lettuce. While I felt content, I found myself searching for something to snack on. Whenever this happens I usually reach for something small but nontheless un-primal. Usually a half a bite of a cookie, a high GI fruit, or a handful of pretzels. Its almost as if my body is still desiring simple sugars for quick energy. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Was there any dressing on your lettuce/tomato? Did the chicken breast have skin on it?

Personally if a meal doesn't have enough fat for the amount of the other things it has (protein+carbs) ... if it's not BALANCED in a primal fatty way... I tend to also be snacky afterward even if I'm "full."

I don't think your body is still desiring simple sugars. You're just mis-reading the signals. Your body wants fat for energy and the few slices of bacon and the avocado just weren't enough.

That's my theory anyway. Next time have a chicken thigh with skin on it, and use lots of good EVOO on your lettuce and tomato (maybe with some lemon juice or balsamic vinegar too).

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

also how do you take "half a bite" of a cookie? hehe. It's like trying to dig half a hole!

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

I agree with FNW, you need more fat! Also, ditch the un-primal foods, so they aren't a temtation.

As for a bit of fruit at the end of a meal, I don't see anything wrong with this.

Something I do though is make coconut oil bark, so when my sweet tooth screams at me I have something awesome to hit it with, something I feel good about putting in my body.

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

emmie is offline Senior Member

When I feel the need for "something" after a meal, I find that a few almonds or walnuts (usually with a cup of hot tea) is very satisfying. I never have more than 4-5 nuts at a time, and it's a nice 'dessert.'

mayness is offline Senior Member

This happens to me, too, after lunch or dinner. It doesn't seem to depend on what I eat... sometimes it happens after a super fatty meal, and sometimes it doesn't happen after a mostly-protein meal.

I'll drink some tea or coffee, if that seems like it will be enough to fix it. Otherwise, I'll have something like some coconut oil mixed with cocoa powder, or a little bit of fruit, or 1/4 cup of yogurt with less than 1/2 tsp honey or maple syrup, or gum or diet soda (I am NOT condoning those though, I don't wanna get anyone hooked on artificial sweeteners!).

"mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

I agree about the tea -- for me, peppermint tea with a bit of cream is perfect for curing post-meal cravings.

If I&#39;m still hungry after finishing the tea, I&#39;ll have a few almonds or something -- but that almost never happens.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Timothy is offline Senior Member

I also tend to have large dinners that go on for a while. I&#39;m no saint -- I do hit the sugar-free gum or sugar-free chocolate from time to time, but I&#39;m working on that. Here are a couple of my ideas.

One, the later you stay up, the more your body craves extra fuel to deal with the lengthened waking cycle, which for all it knows is the sign of some primal emergency. After about 9pm, my appetite starts to increase for no good reason, so I try to be in bed around then. Similarly, I&#39;ve noticed I can be utterly starving at 11pm, but if I force myself to go to bed without food, I&#39;m not even hungry the next morning.

Two, and this is more theoretical: if you&#39;re a recovering SAD addict like me, your body is going to take some time to fill in the nutritional deficits from years of neglect. This may mean eating large portions for a while. If you do find yourself eating massive meals, make sure to take the occasional IF to give your body a break. You don&#39;t want to redline your digestive system constantly -- that&#39;s what got some of us here in the first place -- but neither should you starve yourself when you&#39;re authentically hungry.

jennf is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I sometimes get something like that, too, although it&#39;s not a craving for carbs so much as it is just to eat more (when I&#39;ve already eaten plenty, believe me!)

When I&#39;m at that point I mix 1/2 tbsp or so of coconut oil w/ 1/2 tbsp or so of almond butter. Yummy, fatty, gooey goodness! I take a few minutes to eat it and any need to snack is usually gone by the time I&#39;m done.