Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: pull ups, might be a dumb question... page

  1. #1
    Insane Grok's Avatar
    Insane Grok is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Granite Falls, NC
    Posts
    164

    pull ups, might be a dumb question...

    Primal Fuel
    alright, brief history, never could do a pull up until i went primal. had a lot of ups and downs for a while but this year is better and more solid than ever.

    i want to get the most out of pull ups. after watching and reading Al Kalvado's blog and youtube channel. this is the way i want to go

    i've tried simple fit, but *shrugs* didn't like it, maybe i should try it again, but in anycase...

    would it be best to do pullups everyday when i feel like it or do a structure like simple fit/something else?

    thanks

  2. #2
    lssanjose's Avatar
    lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Tigard, OR
    Posts
    1,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Insane Grok View Post
    alright, brief history, never could do a pull up until i went primal. had a lot of ups and downs for a while but this year is better and more solid than ever.

    i want to get the most out of pull ups. after watching and reading Al Kalvado's blog and youtube channel. this is the way i want to go

    i've tried simple fit, but *shrugs* didn't like it, maybe i should try it again, but in anycase...

    would it be best to do pullups everyday when i feel like it or do a structure like simple fit/something else?

    thanks
    I randomize it. It can be everyday, or more concentrated. As long as it keeps you in the mood to do pull ups, stick with it.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

  3. #3
    primalrob's Avatar
    primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Manchester, NH
    Posts
    2,142
    structured is probably better, but your way could definitely work too. it doesn't have to be simple fit, but following something will be better for you. this guy has some good advice:
    How to Rapidly Increase Your Pullup Numbers in 3 Months or Less | Physical Living

    at the very least, if you don't want to follow a program, do three sets to failure (in one workout, lots of rest though), three days per week. really try to get that extra one in at the end of your sets to push your numbers up.
    also check out grease the groove, which i'm pretty sure is mentioned in the article linked above.

  4. #4
    Al_Kavadlo's Avatar
    Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,399
    Quote Originally Posted by Insane Grok View Post
    after watching and reading Al Kalvado's blog and youtube channel. this is the way i want to go
    Glad I've inspired you! And thanks for the shout out!

    There are many ways to approach pull-up training. I assume you know about my new book, right
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

    "You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

    My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com


  5. #5
    Insane Grok's Avatar
    Insane Grok is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Granite Falls, NC
    Posts
    164
    its on my list to buy Al Kavadlo, plus just watching your video's have helped my form so much, thats been the thing to get me most excited as i'm slowly seeing gains

    thanks primalrob and lssanjose, starting to pick the pace up now, was worried about over training...but with having a family and a full time job, its hard to over train and still have a life. so i'll start doing more pull ups when i pass my bar at home.

    thanks for the help all!

  6. #6
    Chatty's Avatar
    Chatty is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
    Glad I've inspired you! And thanks for the shout out!

    There are many ways to approach pull-up training. I assume you know about my new book, right
    I'm probably too overweight for pull-ups, but I see them in my future.
    Does your material focus on getting me into shape to do even the FIRST pullup?
    I saw the Australian-deal on your site? Does your book have a lot of tips for beginners?
    It all seems way too advanced? You're a master!
    Last edited by Chatty; 05-11-2012 at 07:40 AM.

  7. #7
    Al_Kavadlo's Avatar
    Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,399
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatty View Post
    I'm probably too overweight for pull-ups, but I see them in my future.
    Does your material focus on getting me into shape to do even the FIRST pullup?
    I saw the Australian-deal on your site? Does your book have a lot of tips for beginners?
    It all seems way too advanced? You're a master!
    Thanks! The book covers the full spectrum from beginner to advanced. There is lots of advice for newbies in the first few chapters.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

    "You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

    My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com


  8. #8
    Chatty's Avatar
    Chatty is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
    Thanks! The book covers the full spectrum from beginner to advanced. There is lots of advice for newbies in the first few chapters.
    Ok, you sold me! Wish me luck!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    43
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hope you don't mind me chiming in, I just joined today.

    Personally I would say to do them as often as you possibly can with one caveat: Can you do more than the previous workout? If the answer is yes then you are getting stronger, if not then you may be better off sticking to a structure of 2 or 3 times a week.

    If you can progress by doing more pull-ups or do them slower than the previous session then you have recovered from the last time and are getting the maximum benefit from your exercise. May people actually end up going backwards if they train to often, they tire out their muscles without them recovering first.

    Al, I just checked out your site and a video, great stuff Dude.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •