Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exercises to strengthen hip? page

microkate is offline Member

Exercises to strengthen hip?

Primal Fuel
    I need some suggestions on exercises.

Around my 3rd trimester of pregnancy, I started having a lot of hip pain. My hips felt loose in the joint and I'd keep stepping badly on my left leg, feel it wobble at the hip and get a small shock of pain. I assumed it was due to relaxin and would go away after I had the kiddo, but almost a year after it's still there. It's ok most of the time, or when I do deliberate movements. The problem comes when I put weight on my left leg with the hip open - like stepping out of my car. I still get that wobble and pain.

Any thoughts? I don't have ready access to a gym, but I have various basic home equipment, such as elastic bands.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    you actually want more mobility in your hip, not strength (How to Improve Hip Mobility | Mark's Daily Apple), but you can strengthen the muscles around the hips which might help keep you more stable and get rid of some of that pain.
    you might want to try some light yoga, just to get started if you haven't exercised in a while, then move on to body weight squat progressions. Mark lays them out pretty well in his Primal Blueprint Fitness ebook available off the front page of MDA. if the pain persists through that stuff, you may want to get it checked out by a chiro, physical therapist or orthopedist.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Kettlebell swings? These could also be done with a dumbbell or any small weight.

liberty5_3000 is offline Junior Member
    Hi there, I normally just read things here, but decided to sign up and post because this sounds just like what I went through. My son will be 2 in less than a week and I still have trouble with it from time to time. I tried a lot of things to help it, physical therapy (so a bunch of stretches and exercises), hip related stuff from Mobility WOD, walking barefoot even more than I already was, kettlebell swings, various things from the Aligned and Well blog (such as walking with my toes pointed forward rather than turned out) and just plain old waiting for it to heal. It took 16 months for me to stop having that pain every single day. I can't say for sure which of those things helped the most, but I really feel it was one or two of the stretches and just waiting and "resting" it (not necessarily resting, just not doing thing that make it worse for me - particularly anything that gets you in a lunge like position, I have to be really careful if I do something like yoga). So if I only could pick one thing to do for it, say like if I'm a mom of little one and can only get a couple minutes to work on it, I'd pick doing the one stretch thing from Mobility WOD: Episode 2: Don't Go In the Pain Cave - YouTube On busy days, if I do nothing else, I try to at least do that stretch and it seems to make a difference for me.

Thanks for the suggestions, and the links. I brought it up with my doc before, and he basically told me that since it isn't constantly painful I should just suck it up and deal. I wasn't thrilled with that answer, and figured there had to be something that would work.

JLW1084 is offline Junior Member
    bellydancing is amazing for this

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by microkate View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions, and the links. I brought it up with my doc before, and he basically told me that since it isn't constantly painful I should just suck it up and deal. I wasn't thrilled with that answer, and figured there had to be something that would work.
    your doctor is great if you're looking for a prescription, but if you want real answers for your condition you should talk to someone who deals specifically with this sort of thing: ortho, chiro, or PT

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    your doctor is great if you're looking for a prescription, but if you want real answers for your condition you should talk to someone who deals specifically with this sort of thing: ortho, chiro, or PT
    Yup, but I have to go through my PCM to see any of the above, unless I want to pay out of pocket. Fortunately I get a new PCM sometime in the next 3-4 weeks, and hopefully he/she will take it more seriously. In the meantime, I'll try some of the recommended exercises and see if there's any improvement. I ride horses, and so a painful hip interferes a great deal with what I want to do.

@JLW1084 - I love bellydancing! I haven't been to a class in a couple years but I still dance around the house a lot :-)

lotusberries is offline Senior Member
    I had hip pain for years in my right hip. It would hurt when I sat, hurt when I walked or put any pressure on my leg. I started doing body weight squats about 2 months ago and within a few weeks all the pain was completely gone. Don't know if this would help you at all, but I just thought if share!

Bron is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    an osteopath will be very helpful after #2, I had major issues (due to a herniated disc in my back) and one session at the osteopath fixed my hip and pelvic girdle issues. I'm planning on returning as the hip muscles are giving me issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast