Thread: Research on tasting fat page

sebzzz is offline Member

Primal Fuel

I thought some of you guys might be interested in a new study that got out about our tasting bud also able to taste fat along with sour, sweet, bitter, salt and umami (protein). I didn't even know about the protein one.

it's no surprise for me that we can taste fat because our body as a very good way to make us want certain types of food.

Read the article with a grain of salt because it's full of low fat propaganda BS. It goes on and tells that those with the best ability to taste fatty foods tend to eat less and where the ones with the lowest BMI. I would be very interested to see the real results.

Anyways, just for our general culture's sake.

Get great paleo diet lifestyle tricks, recipes and cooking tips. My contribution to the paleo movement.

lesliek is offline Member

I saw that article too, and disagreed on the point about becoming insensitive to the taste of fat. I eat a lot of fat and it tastes really good every time I do. If something has less fat in it than I'm used to, I notice. (But things are often too salty or sweet for me now...I was definitely more tolerant to that pre-primal).

Stabby is offline Senior Member

Yuh huh. If one snubs intensely sweet-tasting things one's appreciation for fat increases tenfold. Also veggies like carrots and bell peppers become like gummie bears.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

JamieRose is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Makes sense to me. If we couldn't taste fat really well, I don't think we'd have such a love for all things bacon and butter related, huh?

Bell peppers and carrots being gummy bears... so true! Love it!