Thread: Sprints Question page

Leida is offline Senior Member

Sprints Question

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So, I found a field in the park, and ran my 10 dashes today for the first time. I measured it off the map. I sprinted (?) for about 80 m, about 20-30 sec each time (so about 7-9 mph, I am pathetic, I know). That's half of what Mark suggested for distance per sprint. Will it be valid to work my way to 12-16 half-sprints, or do I need to find a larger field so a sprint goes for ~ 1 min? It is very convenient to run in the park at lunch, of course. But do I get any benefit?
    Last edited by Leida; 05-09-2012 at 11:32 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Sure you're still getting a great benefit. Where did Mark suggest 160m sprints? I think 20-30s is about as long as most people are able to truly sprint anyway. After that, you just can't generate the same power. It all depends on your goals.

I was reading about a protocol that was attributed to Mark, that described 150 m on the beach. I checked Mark's blog from yesterday, and it talks about 100 m sprints and 40 yards dashes, so I think I am doing a valid workout then. Do I need to increase the # of sprints or go for as many dashes as I can without losing the speed? I was winded by the 6th, and the last couple was a hard work.

I will need to read more on sprints to get a better idea on how to build a good routine. There are a couple of play fields in my neigborhood that are probably longer, but this one is downtown, and sprinting fits so neatly in the lunch break.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Sure you're still getting a great benefit. Where did Mark suggest 160m sprints? I think 20-30s is about as long as most people are able to truly sprint anyway. After that, you just can't generate the same power. It all depends on your goals.
    agreed. 20 seconds is a pretty good sprint. you're doing just fine.

i don't think mark recommends a full minute sprint. he mentions that grok might have run all out for a full minute to escape danger, but that's not what he recommends. 20-30 seconds done 6-10 times is about what you should be doing. don't try to increase the time with sprinting; try to increase the intensity.

Thank you. I think I can win about 5-10 more meteres as I improve backing out on the path to keep the dash at 20-30 sec at higher speed which I might eventually achieve.

Is it normal to feel scared when running a dash? I keep being afraid I will fall down?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Is it normal to feel scared when running a dash? I keep being afraid I will fall down?
    personally, i kind of like that feeling as long as i'm on grass or at the beach. i use it. i pretend i'm getting chased by something, and i can push a little harder. occasionally i'll take a fall, but it's usually something i can roll out of and keep going. is that normal? probably not.
    if you are at all concerned about it, you may want to think about hill sprints. there is much less chance of falling, and it's easier on your joints than flat sprinting...not easier on your muscles though. it's a hell of a workout.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    personally, i kind of like that feeling as long as i'm on grass or at the beach. i use it. i pretend i'm getting chased by something, and i can push a little harder. occasionally i'll take a fall, but it's usually something i can roll out of and keep going. is that normal? probably not.
    if you are at all concerned about it, you may want to think about hill sprints. there is much less chance of falling, and it's easier on your joints than flat sprinting...not easier on your muscles though. it's a hell of a workout.
    Never considered this, thanks!
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    In the PBf ebook, Mark suggests 50m sprints. He has you do 6x50m warm-up sprints and then 6x50m all out sprints.

Well, I fell down,twisted my knee and landed with my whole bulk on it when playing soccer when I was at the Uni. Couldn't do anything for a while after that. I think the fear of falling when running fast comes from there. I dunno about the uphill being less scary, you can trip just as well, particularly when you are a clumsy thing like me. Maybe when I "know" the field better, I will feel more at ease.

In the PBf ebook, Mark suggests 50m sprints. He has you do 6x50m warm-up sprints and then 6x50m all out sprints.
    Oh, that field is perfect for it! So, just keep trying to run faster and faster and faster every time? I am game!

mountainste is offline Junior Member
    I was winded by the 6th, and the last couple was a hard work.