Thread: A La Carte? page

anniegebel Guest

Primal Fuel

My husband is skeptical of the eating plan portion of PB (although I haven't gotten him to read it yet...I think the science will impress him more than my interpretation). He has agreed to read the fitness rules, though, and might be willing to change his workouts accordingly.

Think this will work for him? Can you work out less and eat the same and still lose pounds of fat? I kind of think he could if he really follows it, like keeping his HR in the goal zone for movement, etc. Any thoughts?

Timothy is offline Senior Member

Adopting partial elements from the PB is better than none at all. You've got to start somewhere. If he's killing himself with chronic cardio, I'm quite sure that Primal exercise would lead to improved health. But even better, if he sees results, it might pique his interest in the rest of the PB.

Unfortunately, though, my experience is that fat loss is 90% diet, if not more. I was deeply in denial about this until I adopted the PB and experienced the results on my own hide.

Good luck with your husband! He's a lucky guy, because having a primal spouse is about as good as it gets. My wife's support has been foundational to my success.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

I think it will probably help, yeah.... "better than nothing."

I don't know if you watch the Biggest Loser but I love when the people injure themselves and Dr. H says they can only walk for the week, and then they lose like 15 pounds and are omgsurprised... because they've been moving slowly a lot, vs killing themselves all week.

And I'm pretty sure they're not eating primally.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Timothy is offline Senior Member

Hehe FNW, I'm a huge fan of the Biggest Loser and I totally agree. Not to go too far off topic, but...

When I first came to this site, I thought, why are all these people hating on TBL? It's so inspiring!

Now, of course, my perspective is completely different. I still watch the show (in fact it's the only thing I watch) and the people's struggles are still inspiring. But now it's entertaining in the slowly-unfolding-trainwreck style.

Like FNW says, all the contestants that are restricted to just walking/just swimming do great. Then when they put them back on the chronic cardio treadmill the weight loss slows and their health seems to nosedive.

But the real crime is what they feed them! Last episode, a contestant (Sam) had forgotten his lunch. This guy is a huge Polynesian muscleman who's closer to his ideal weight now than anyone else on the show. I was so excited because an IF, accidental or not, is just what he needed to break the next barrier. The next best thing for the man would be a giant plate of steak and eggs to bring out his inner Dwayne Johnson. But can you guess what he ate instead?

They took him to Subway where he ate a veggie sandwich on whole wheat.

Oh, the humanity!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member

Gross, the worst part is it's all about the Subway endorsement thing. TV blows.

I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

anniegebel Guest

Timothy, that's what I'm hoping...that working out differently will lead to an increased interest in PB, especially in conjunction with my success. He doesn't eat horribly...but not totally PB. His dinners are PB, because I cook them. His lunch includes two pieces of bread, but the rest is all veggies, meat, and fruit. And for breakfast he eats a Fiber 1 bar, because for years I harped about the importance of eating breakfast and "starting your furnace burning." Ironically I don't eat breakfast half the time now! He's snacking according to PB, mostly, again because I do the grocery shopping!

I'm hoping to have the family completely eating PB within a year...we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the comments...I'm excited for him and hopefully he'll feel the differences.