View Poll Results: To quickly get the basics, what book should I start with?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Primal Blueprint - Mark Sisson

17 85.00%
  • The Paleo Solution - Robb Wolf

2 10.00%
  • The Paleo Diet Cookbook - Loren Cordain

1 5.00%
  • Paleo Eating for Modern People - Nikki Young

0 0%

Thread: I'm finally ready to give this a try. page

_Brock_ is offline Junior Member

I'm finally ready to give this a try.

Primal Fuel
    Right now I feel absolutely sick. My head and eyes are throbbing, and I feel like I could puke. I did something very questionable today; I ate a lot of chocolate-chips, and I suspect that what I feel is the hangover. However there is something good that can come from that decision. Mainly the experience of feeling so sick that I have reasons not to repeat my error.

I've been interested in eating healthy for a while now, hopefully today will give me some incentive to stick with it.

This site looks like a great resource and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

Doc Grok is offline Junior Member
    Cordain's book is the only one of those i've read and i certainly would not start with that.

In fact to QUICKLY get the basics all of those books are bad options. Go with either Robb Wolf's 30 Day Total Transformation or Mark's Primal Blueprint 21-Day Total Body Transformation. Robb's book probably has a steeper buy-in (more restrictive, one week longer) but personally I would dive in head first and go with that one, you'll probably get better results.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    I read PB from Mark Sisson. I found it to be a quick enough read. Read it in a couple days.
    Starting Weight: 208 lbs
    Current Weight: 166.8 lbs

Willow is offline Junior Member
    I read Robb Wolfs book first in 2 days and that had me sold on the whole Paleo thing. I am now reading Mark's book and it is good as well. Very detailed explanations of everything, I think that is why it is taking me a little longer to get through it. Whenever I start something I usually try to read as much as I can about it from different sources. I want to have lots of info to answer questions about why I am eating this way because I know there will be questions at the next family get together.

Doc Grok is offline Junior Member
    I feel like I should explain what I said earlier. Its not about how long it takes to read any of these books, it's what the books are designed for. Robb and Mark created their "transformation" books for people new to this that wanted an action plan. They tell you exactly what you need to know: what to do, how to do it and why. The other books have more information but they are made to educate. You may have to pick things out of them and build yourself a battle plan. The "transformation" books ARE battle plans. I would recommend this to anyone wanting to try this diet. Read the book, do exactly what it says for as long as it say and resist the urge to "geek out" on this stuff. Treat them as gospel- if only for a month. It will actually take a lot of weight off your sholders. After you do the protocol for a month you can decide where to go from there. But as you'll likely look, feel and perform better than you ever have in your entire life, you might just keep doing the same.

All the same, I wish you the he's of luck on your journey.

Doc Grok

Ps. Posting pics in the before and after forum can be good motivation to stick with it. It adds a social pressure element that would be missing if you just tried to tough it out on your own.

Buffdv is offline Senior Member
    21day total body transformation by mark sisson. Faster read than the PB and gets you off to a good start. After 3 weeks of primalness you'll wqnt to read some of the others.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I sort of think everything you need to get healthy is right here:

Archevore - Archevore Diet

Marks getting started page is great too.

Just dive right in! You don't have to be perfect. Just do your best
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

_Brock_ is offline Junior Member
    Thanks to all of you, I appreciate the advice.

I want to commit to this (at least for 1 month) and give this a decent shot. However I think I'm somewhat addicted to grains, even though I'm aware form personal experience that they mess me up. They effect my concentration significantly and I suspect that they played a large role in my eczema breakouts and allergies when I was much younger (I lived off cheerios back then).

Today I was doing good (but somewhat stressed), then I had chicken dinner (a decent amount), then shortly after I had the craving for cereal. I wasn't even hungry at this point but I made the bad decision to pour a bowl anyways. Also for whatever reason cereal doesn't alleviate hunger much at all for me, so the first bowl didn't really change how I was feeling ( it didn't reduce my craving for cereal). I ended up eating two more bowls. I think these bad decisions where somewhat a lack of discipline and had a bit to do with stress too, but I feel stupid for making these mistakes over and over.

I'll try to do better.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by _Brock_ View Post
    Thanks to all of you, I appreciate the advice.

I want to commit to this (at least for 1 month) and give this a decent shot. However I think I'm somewhat addicted to grains, even though I'm aware form personal experience that they mess me up. They effect my concentration significantly and I suspect that they played a large role in my eczema breakouts and allergies when I was much younger (I lived off cheerios back then).

Today I was doing good (but somewhat stressed), then I had chicken dinner (a decent amount), then shortly after I had the craving for cereal. I wasn't even hungry at this point but I made the bad decision to pour a bowl anyways. Also for whatever reason cereal doesn't alleviate hunger much at all for me, so the first bowl didn't really change how I was feeling ( it didn't reduce my craving for cereal). I ended up eating two more bowls. I think these bad decisions where somewhat a lack of discipline and had a bit to do with stress too, but I feel stupid for making these mistakes over and over.

I'll try to do better.
    Cereal was always a major binge item for me as well. So it is not allowed in the house. Can you start by primalizing your kitchen? It's much easier to give up grains when they are not as readily available.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html