Thread: New member from DC here! page

MdMan is offline Junior Member

New member from DC here!

Primal Fuel
    So, I finally decided to create a username after reading the forums sporadically over the last few months.

I decided on Monday that it is finally time for me to "get real" about following the Paleo/Primal plan. I have been, for the most part, doing paleo since December and have been pretty good about following the 80/20 rule. However, the last few weeks I have been cheating and eating things I shouldn't be (snacking at work etc). I cheated big Monday and ate fast food for lunch (chicken strips, sugary bbq sauce, fries, and a diet soda). At work a few hours later I felt bloated and tried, which is never a good thing on a night shift. I felt super guilty for cheating like that and felt horrible from the food itself. I decided it is time to re-motivate myself.

I'll be 30 in a few weeks and for years now I have been unsatisfied with my body and health. At one point four years ago I weighed 240lbs, which is pretty chunky for a guy that is only 5'8". I decided at that point that enough was enough. I started riding a bike every day and changed my diet from fast food and takeout to your typical whole grain low fat diet and lost 43lbs. However, that level of exercise was short lived. I changed jobs and the time I had to exercise dried up. The weight started to creep back up and before I knew it I was back at 210. I changed my diet again and went down to around 205, which is where I sat most of last year.

However, a friend introduced me to this website back in December and I lost 15lbs. I haven't weighed 190lbs since high school. I am ready to get serious and "be all that I can be".

Here is my dilemma.

My schedule is shift work so I don't follow a traditional sleep schedule. I'll work 12hr long shifts alternating between days and nights with a few days off in between. My travel time to and from work usually means I am away from home for 15 hours out of a day and I don't really get a lunch break at work. How do I fit workouts into the picture without depriving me of too much sleep? I work roughly 15 days a month so I have plenty of days off. Should I concentrate on sleep on days I work and try to work in everything else on my days off?

How about ideas for paleo meals that are portable and re-heat well with a microwave?

I did pick up and am going to read/follow the 21 day total body transformation.

Any other tips?

Thanks!

Dice Monkey is offline Member
    Welcome MdMan,
    I'm down the road in VA, and work at Belvoir.
    As far as the workouts go, it's probably going to be easier to focus on your days off. For days that work see if you can up your daily walking amount and then maybe bang out some some pushups or something, depending what your main workout days are like.
    As far as the food good a lot of the recipes work well for the microwave, specifically any of the paleo meatloaf recipes, just about anything at paleopot.com works well, and I've tried several. Also chicken and beef dishes. I have a tendency to overcook seafood on the reheating step, but whatever.

It's all about figuring out what works for you. Just track your progress and make changes along the way.

Good luck!
    "I did it for money and for a woman. I didn't get the money, and I didn't get the woman"