Thread: Brands of Nori and where to buy them? page

PamBam is offline Senior Member

Brands of Nori and where to buy them?

Primal Fuel
    I am in love with Nori. My exhusband is Korean and for the last 15 years, I've been eating seaweed squares instead of potato chips as an evening treat. However, oiled/salted nori that I love so much from the store is made with canola oil..UGH! Before I make the 30 minute trek back to the Korean store, does anyone know of a nori source that is made with primal oils and where I might find it? I don't want to have to attempt to read all the labels on the seaweed at the Asian market...they always look at me like I don't belong...lingering won't help.

Thanks!
    5'10" HW 264 (9/15/2011) PSW 238 (4/9/2012) CW 231 GW 165

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    I just buy regular sushi grade nori, full book sized sheets, 30 or 50 per pack. NO added oils, salt or anything. I eat them as snacks or in place of a tortilla or bread to wrap food up. Perfect for food when I'm in a hurry, to take w/ me...

Nice in soups too.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I just brush regular nori with olive oil, season, and toast in the oven. 300 degrees for five minutes.

For pre-made, SeaSnax uses olive oil.

Sikaranista is offline Junior Member
    Hi PamBam,

Nice to meet another Korean food afficionado!

The yummy roasted, salted Nori squares that you are traditionally a Korean preparation. Japanese nori generally is roasted without oil or salt, and Chinese seaweed is generally just dried...not even roasted.

You will have the most luck with Korean brands. Choripdong makes nori squares roasted in Olive Oil (example below)

Hmart.com: Choripdong Roasted Laver with Olive Oil - 12pks 0.17oz x 12pks

You may also find nori such as the kind Dongwong (example below) makes that is roasted with Perilla oil -- a Korea-grown oil with a very high percentage of Omega 3 ALAs. Be careful though -- Perilla oil is not very flavorful. Many Korean people add it to their diets because of the health benefits, but the Perilla oil used in nori preparations are often blended with enemy oils such as corn or sunflower. Double check the label to be sure, and if the label doesn't have an ingredients list in English, move on to the next choice.

: Dongwon Korean Perilla Oil Flavored: Grocery & Gourmet Food

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I just discovered SeaSnax - they have a touch of olive oil and taste pretty amazing. I think it's a relatively new brand;I've just started seeing it around here and there. It's usually between $1-$1.50 per package.

FAQ

jnicholas is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    I just buy regular sushi grade nori, full book sized sheets, 30 or 50 per pack. NO added oils, salt or anything. I eat them as snacks or in place of a tortilla or bread to wrap food up. Perfect for food when I'm in a hurry, to take w/ me...
    I find it pretty easy to live without grain products with the exception of the usefulness of tortillas. I've never embraced the lettuce wrap as an alternative but this sounds very interesting. It is strong enough to hold up? Anything to look for/particular brands etc recommended for wrap use?

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just like in sushi, the nori has this sticky quality to it, sorta like saran wrap(but not quite that strong, lol), especially when the food it surrounds gives off some moisture. Years & years ago, I used to make nori wraps/burritos to go rock climbing, hiking, biking, you name it. Roll whatever you got, wrap it up, throw in back pack, out the door, so ez. To be truthful, after years spending top dollar on expensive nori in packs of 50, I just go for the middle of the road brands in Asian grocers I haunt, that cost about $12 on average. Nori is a commercial product grown by pretty high industry standards (I'm talking about Japanese nori). I know the Koreans also produce Nori, but I've no knowledge or experience with it. Seen the Chinese laver, tried it once outta curiosity, but it falls apart & I don't trust the quality of most Chinese food products (a different discussion)

Just checked, to answer your last question: Currently I've got SUSHIHANE brand, Yaki Sushi quality category.
    Last edited by Betorq; 07-14-2012 at 11:43 AM.