Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling low carb & exercise vets page

TigerJ is offline Senior Member

Hi Tarlach, Eva, Timothy, any others I might have missed.

Some of you have posted your diet routine and fitness activities at times, but I would love to see what a week's worth of food and movement looks for you. This means what you ate, how much and when; and how you worked out.

A lot of people doing journals here are newer but I learned a lot from the reading posts from those who have been doing this a while with good results. Would any of you be willing to do this? Tarlach I know you posted your diet several weeks ago; is it still steak every night or do you mixed it up any? What kind of strength training are you doing?

No pressure at all, only if you feel comfortable - thanks!

ps, Griff too, and sure there are others...

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

How low carb are you thinking? Low, or VERY low? I'm happy to participate, but I cruise along on about 65g carbs/day.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

kennelmom is offline Senior Member

Barbeygirl - 65g is about what I aim for...I'd love for you to participate!

Great idea for a thread for us newbies still learning (I'm about four weeks in now)

Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Yes I guess was mostly thinking of the carnivore types doing under 50g but if you are willing I still be interested!

Timothy is offline Senior Member

Sure Tiger, I'd be happy to answer to the best of my recollection. It's two months since I started the PB so some of this will probably change, but here's where I am now.

For meals, I have developed a rough pattern of three meals one day followed by a 24-hour IF (or near-IF) ending with dinner the next day.

Day "A" Breakfast: Three butter-fried eggs with runny yolks and some kefir OR a zero-carb protein shake with unsweetened almond milk/coconut milk OR a bottle of juiced greens (3g of sugar, but it's all from dark green veg.) Also supplements (just started DCMF today) and a double dose of either cod liver oil or salmon oil.

Day "A" Lunch: Four strips of bacon and a sliced up sausage (either chicken or seafood) all fried in butter. Also three eggs if I have time and appetite.

Day "A" Dinner: The real feast. To take last night's example, all fried in butter/coconut oil/bacon grease:

- Five strips bacon doused in cinnamon

- One sliced chicken sausage

- One sliced seafood sausage

- Three eggs

- Steak, chard, and kale off my wife's plate

- Romaine salad topped with whitefish caviar (caviar turns out to be an amazing salad dressing. You don't need much and it's great for your raw animal quota.)

- Three servings of thawed, cooked shrimp, each dipped in the oil from the skillet that fried the above

- Protein shake with almond milk

- Two more doses of salmon oil or cod liver oil

- Four squares of sugar-free chocolate dipped in almond butter

Day "B" Breakfast: IF

Day "B" Lunch: IF

Day "B" Dinner: Like Day "A" Dinner, but possibly even larger

Eating this way, I lose fat like it's melting off my body while gaining muscle.

I'd like to evolve to be more like Tarlach in my eating (more exotic, nutrient-dense meats, fewer incidental carbs and non-primal things like protein powder and sugar alcohol) but I'm pretty happy with the way my diet is for now.

On the exercise front, I do a 30-60 minute urban workout every morning (see my comment on Mark's front page post today for details). I always save time for 15-20 minutes of shovelglove when I get home. (Check out www.shovelglove.com. It's the only weight training I've done for weeks and it's loads of fun.) At night I usually do a bit more casual shovelglove just for the fun of it. Also, I have a 15-pound infant whom I carry around constantly.

I keep meaning to do Tabata sprints and chickening out. I do get some nice spontaneous sprints in during my urban workout, though.

Hope this helps! I'm happy to share any more details that might interest you.

Oh yeah, my weekly routine is just the above times seven, except that I take a rest day about once a week (not by the calendar, just by listening to my body) when I limit my exercise to walking around a lot and light shovelglove.

I should also mention I'm big on opportunistic exercises. For example, every time I'm alone in an elevator I bang out as many pushups as I can. When I'm in the car, I use a handheld gyroscope exercise ball to get me through traffic. I sprint to my car in the parking garage. When I'm standing in line at the store I do calf raises, et al.

I also do my exercises as underdressed as I can get away with to heighten the fat-burn-for-body-warmth effect. Also, I have become a huge fan of exercising in direct sunlight as opposed to indoors. Sorry Wii Fit... I've outgrown you

Thanks a lot Timothy, that's great to see how you are working the IF into your routine but still eating plenty to fuel your body. Appreciate it.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Ok, here goes:

Monday

Breakfast -- Spinach salad with steamed, chilled asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli, and carrot; 4 oz canned wild salmon; 1/4 cup walnuts; 2 Tbs olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Lunch -- Fat Guacamole Devils; sugar snap peas and bell pepper strips dipped in full-fat sour cream.

Dinner -- Pork roast; roasted sweet potato; steamed brussels sprouts with butter.

Workout -- 3x rotation of decline pushups; situps w/ 25 lb plate; wide pullups; HLRs w/ 15 lb dumbbell between ankles; close-grip pushups; planks. Each set to failure. Horse training.

Tuesday

Breakfast -- IF until 1:30 (total of about 18 hours).

Lunch -- Spinach salad with steamed veggies, 2 HB eggs, tuna, and olive oil & vinegar.

Dinner -- Stew beef slow cooked in beef broth, worch sauce, garlic, and onions. 1/2 cup each blueberries and coconut milk.

Workout: Active rest day. Long walk & horse training.

Wednesday

Breakfast -- 2 duck eggs over easy; 5 strips bacon; 5 asparagus spears and a small zucchini sauteed in bacon grease.

Lunch -- Apple with almond butter. BAS with raw sugar snap peas, bell pepper, leftover pork roast, and olive oil & vinegar.

Dinner -- Reheated stew beef.

Workout -- 5x heavy squats, weighted chinups, bench presses, and renegade rows. Horseback ride.

Thursday

Breakfast -- BAS with canned fish, nuts, and olive oil.

Lunch -- Cold pork roast dipped in spicy mustard. 2 HB eggs.

Dinner -- Thai chicken and coconut milk soup with vegetables. 1/2 oz 99% chocolate.

Workout -- 8x 100-meter hill sprints. Horse training.

Friday

Breakfast -- IF until about 1:30

Lunch -- Leftover Thai chicken and coconut soup

Dinner -- 3-egg omelet with onion, jalapeno, and mushrooms. Steamed sugar snap peas and carrots with butter.

Workout -- 4x rotation of pushups, L-sits, weighted pullups, pistols, one-arm dumbbell bench presses, and weighted dips. Ride.

Saturday

Breakfast -- 3-egg crustless quiche with veggies and sausage.

Lunch -- Banana with almond butter. BAS with canned fish, avocado, raw veggies, olive oil & vinegar.

Dinner -- Primal chili with lots of ground beef, sausage, and olives. 1/2 avocado.

Workout -- Play day! Long horseback ride (endurance conditioning) and training/farm work all day.

Sunday

Breakfast -- Half a baked spaghetti squash with 1 cup coconut milk and 1/3 cup pecans.

Lunch -- Leftover chili topped with 1/2 avocado.

Dinner -- 1 can kippered herring, 2 HB eggs, raw veggies dipped in sour cream. Blueberries and 1/2 oz 99% dark chocolate.

Workout -- 5x rotation of heavy lunges, barbell rows, deadlifts, military presses. Riding/training/farm work all day.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

My pleasure, TigerJ. Restraint at the dinner table has never been a talent of mine, so I am relieved to have discovered that under the PB, my voracious appetite can be a strength!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast