Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Calling low carb & exercise vets page 3

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Typical meats are...

beef (all cuts - cow or buffalo, see below)

chicken (whole chicken, thighs, drumsticks)

lamb legs

bone in pork chops

uncured bacon

salmon

tuna

It's tough to list out all the types of beef I use... because it could range from a huge shoulder and veggies in the crockpot, strips stir fried, to steaks/burgers on the grill.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member

Timothy,

If you have a chance, I would be interested to know the approximate caloric intake on your A day and B day.

Thanks!

john

Timothy is offline Senior Member

I would tell you, John, but I've actually never calculated it, even approximately. I just eat until full, but the total amount of calories that takes seems to vary from day to day. I think it usually works out to more than 2500, especially on Day "A".

I'm curious about it myself, though, so I will have to tabulate a couple of sample days and get back to you...

Thanks Timothy. I am fairly new to PB, and I am interested in the caloric intake aspect and IF.

I haven't tried IF, and I wonder what it would do for me. I currently eat at what are considered maintenance calorie levels of about 2200 per day. However, I lift pretty heavy three times per week. I was trying to find a way to incorporate the IF around my weight training. Sounds like it has worked well for you.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

I would add 2 sprint days in there and just eat until you're full.

Maybe track on fitday.com until you get the desired ratio down, but that's it.

All calories are not created equal.

John, good to hear you're considering IF. My first IF was a major step into the unknown, but having crossed that bridge, I never want to go back. I love how light and energetic I feel at the end of a good fast, and how incredibly good the food tastes when I break it. It's also nice to know I never have to eat if I'm too busy or don't like whatever food is available.

The biggest advantage you can have going into IF is to make sure you're in fat-burning/ketosis mode from following a low-carb diet for at least a week or two. I'm sure it's possible to do an IF on a higher carb diet, but the blood sugar drop will make you extra hungry and irritable, if not give you a headache and other symptoms. On the other hand, if you're in ketosis, the only barriers are psychological. You'll feel a reflexive hunger at your usual mealtime, but it will fade away, especially if you do some exercise when you'd normally be eating.

Before you break the fast, do a good set of heavy lifting. You'll be super insulin-sensitive going into your meal and your muscles will be ready for the nutrients. Be ready to sleep because your body will need it.

A good IF burns a lot of fat, and some say it burns just enough worn-out muscle tissue to clear the way for newer and stronger fibers.

After my first IF, I smashed nearly five pounds off my weight which never came back. I hope you find the results to your liking as well!

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Hey, thanks Iceskater -- glad it inspired you!

While I'm not currenty tracking my intake, I have done plenty of tracking in the (recent, primal) past to say confidently that my calorie count reliably comes in around 2200 most days. Occasionally, I'll have a day around 1900 or 2500, but usually I seem to self-regulate within quite a narrow range.

I definitely eat to satiety. If I finish a meal hungry, then I haven't finished the meal!

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Wow, that sounds pretty effective Timothy. I have been low carb for a few weeks, but not low as in ketosis. I keep it between 50-100, averaging about 70. I will still give it a shot and see how I do. I just hope I can eat enough food when the fast breaks. Seems like it would be hard to get a couple thousand calories down. However, I bet I could if I added a lot of fat in there. Thanks for the advice.

John, it sounds like your body is already well primed to IF. With less than 100g of carbs daily, you shouldn't feel much of a glucose drop. Good luck! I hope you'll let us know how you feel when it's done.

GrockinOut is offline Senior Member

Wow this is a lot of great info guys!

Tigerj- i am 6'1 and am about 165 pounds, bf is 12-14 percent according to my scale.

and Timothy a question for you, when you said you did your fast and lost 5 pounds would you say it was mainly fat or was their some muscle? I have down 24 hour fast in the past, but that was a while ago before I was primal, and before i was ketosis

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123