Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: heart, liver and tongue. labeled as dogs food? page

Doc Grok is offline Junior Member

heart, liver and tongue. labeled as dogs food?

Primal Fuel
    "plain grass fed beef. heart liver and tongue. dog food". thats what the sign says on the freezer at my local farm stand. I don't see any reason why I can't eat it. Why are selling these parts for dogs? I hope it's just because no one in america finds "heart, liver and cow tongue" appetizing. Anyway, if it's safe for dogs it should be safe for humans, right? They also have bone marrow which sounds like it would be good in a stew but its also labeled for dogs.

Anyone see any problems consuming this stuff?

Anyone ever had cows tongue or cows heart? how does it taste?

jakey is offline Senior Member
    that's sad. you can eat those! hell, they're prized in most countries. fucking a...

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    I eat the "Pet food" from US Wellness meats all the time. It's 90/5/5 of 65% lean ground beef, heart, and liver. And it's so much cheaper than the ground beef. Makes great chili.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I eat the "Pet food" from US Wellness meats all the time. It's 90/5/5 of 65% lean ground beef, heart, and liver. And it's so much cheaper than the ground beef. Makes great chili.
    Do you!? Thats awesome...I keep seeing it and thinking I'll give it a shot, but then I chicken out for some reason. Yeah, a bit of liver and heart AND its cheaper! Whats not to like I suppose.

Doc Grok is offline Junior Member
    Sawwweeet!

yeah this stuff is 2.99 lb so 2 bucks less than the normal grass-fed ground and looks super high quality.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Do you!? Thats awesome...I keep seeing it and thinking I'll give it a shot, but then I chicken out for some reason. Yeah, a bit of liver and heart AND its cheaper! Whats not to like I suppose.
    Go for it. I'm not dead. I've been eating the stuff for at least a year. Girlfriend isn't dead either. (And this is one of the only ways to get liver into her diet. She hates the stuff).

Makes it easy to hit your minimum order weight too. Extra bonus.

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    What's not to like? Let's start with liver and work our way through the rest. Liver was meant for the dogs.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    That is great news. I've wondered if the dog food is edible. I wasn't worried about it being actual hearts and things but that maybe they'd allow stuff in there that would be difficult to chew and thus wouldn't be very tasty.

Heart, by the way, tastes like really strong-flavored meat. It seems to turn dark red and the broth turns red, too. It's pretty good but it's so lean with very fine texture so it can get a little rubbery. I've never had tongue.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Kinnell is offline Member
    Just remember to bring a can opener to the shop with you so you can start tucking in at the checkout

Spubba is offline Senior Member
    ...Can opener? Ok, I missed something. We're not talking about Alpo are we?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast