Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: heart, liver and tongue. labeled as dogs food? page 2

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    The only thing that would worry me is how they handle the meat from a sanitation stand point. If it is being sold as "dog food" sellers may slack a little bit on how careful they are when they handle it. That being said, if I was sure that the quality of the food was the same as that being sold to people, I'd jump right in!

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    it may be that your state has wacky laws about handling offal, and so it has to be sold for dogs. we used to buy raw milk "for pets only," and there's a place in town that sells dehydrated chicken breast (nothing but salt added) "for pets only," whereas any processed/dehydrated meats for humans must contain nitrates/nitrites.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

billp is offline Senior Member
    As far as I know "for animals only" means it can include fallen animals and animals killed after they became sick. If it it cooked thoroughly I can't see the harm. I wouldn't eat it bloody. Also can be (legitimately) rather elderly so might not taste very good and may be tough.
    Last edited by billp; 05-08-2012 at 04:08 PM.

ASmallOne is offline Senior Member
    sometimes also powdered bone meal is added into pet food as a filer. I'm sure it's edible but it may not be digestible... :P
    Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
    Friend me on "The Facebook"
    Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

i think bone meal is sometimes used as a human mineral supplement.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    On the plus side, the fact that offal is often in the dog food section means that it is much cheaper than it should be (given how tasty and nutritious it is).

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Grok View Post
    Anyone ever had cows tongue or cows heart? how does it taste?
    Yes to both. They are both fine. We boil the tongue, I recommend slicing the taste buds off the tongue before serving, particularly if you are feeding it to kids. And the heart is just a big muscle. Tenderise it with a hammer and it's a great cheap steak.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 05-08-2012 at 05:21 PM.

LissaKa is offline Junior Member
    If you read their pet food blog page it says the only difference is the fat content, which is higher.

tom05 is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    i get a 90/10% mix of beef heart and liver from my local butcher. First time i ordered it he asked if it was for my dog. I got a weird look when i said it was for me . now he has it ready and waiting for me every week. Delicious!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast