Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: From Civilization to Caveman - Skorpion317's Primal Journal page

skorpion317 is offline Senior Member

From Civilization to Caveman - Skorpion317's Primal Journal

This journal will give updates on my progress and give me a place to post interesting things I've read. First, my background:

I first found out about the Paleo/Primal lifestyle back in 2008. I weighed 280 lbs. then, and decided to get down to 200. I struggled for 4 months with a SAD "diet", and dropped about 35 lbs. I was hungry and miserable all the time. I did some research, discovered the Paleo diet and was off to the races. I dropped 45 lbs. in 2 months, and felt great! Then I fell off the wagon - stopped eating right, stopped exercising, and all of the weight came back plus more. By January 2012 I was up to 326 lbs.

My wife and I had our first child in June 2011. I wanted to be able to run and play with him once he was old enough - I didn't want to be so out of shape that I couldn't do that. Knowing Paleo had worked once before, I started again January 4th, 2012. I also started lifting weights 3x a week and going for long walks. I found MDA while doing some research - what an awesome site! I added sprints into my weekly workout routine, as well as intermittent fasting once or twice a week. As of today, May 8th, 2012 I'm 226.8 lbs. According to my bathroom scale, my BF% started at 48% and is now down to 32.6%. I would like to get it down between 12-15%. I'm going to be joining an MMA gym in the next week or so - I'm a huge UFC fan and I used to wrestle in high school and college, so it's a logical step. That should definitely help get the last 20 lbs. off quick.
    "Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."

I enjoy reading about Paleolithic humans. I find the subject very interesting, and I feel it helps give me a deeper connection to the Paleo/Primal lifestyle.

I just finished reading the book "Cro-Magnon: How the Ice Age Gave Birth to the First Modern Humans" by Brian Fagan. Great book, very informative. A few of the things I read in it were surprising. The main prey item of the Cro-magnons was the reindeer. They would set up at strategic points along a reindeer herd's route - a narrow canyon or pass, a riverbank, etc. and kill as many animals as they could. As time went on, the Cro-magnons developed an advanced tool kit. They developed spears with breakaway tips. They would launch spears at an animal, and the tip would break off after wounding the animal. The hunter could then retrieve the spear shaft and mount a new tip on it in a couple minutes. I thought that was really interesting.

During the Ice Age, their lifestyle was closest to that of the Eskimo/Inuit. Winters could last about 9 months. During this time period, people may have only eaten about a cupful of vegetables per year. Meat and fat were staples. It sounds like they dried most of their meat, and fat was eaten separately. They traded with other hunting bands, sometimes over long distances. I just watched a TV show about the Eskimo/Inuit where members of two tribes met up to trade. One group brought walrus meat, since they were a coastal tribe. The other group were inland caribou hunters, and they brought hides. The groups traded their goods, shared a meal, and sat around the campfire telling stories and jokes. You can imagine the Cro-magnons doing the same.

Broke the 100-lb. barrier! Weighed in at 225.8 lbs. today.

perennialpam is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skorpion317 View Post
    Broke the 100-lb. barrier!
    Congratulations. It is difficult to believe someone could take off 100 lbs in a mere +4 months! That is wonderful/amazing. I work with so many folks who need to do the same but feel I cannot approach them but would love to inform them about this marvelous way of eating and reducing. Too touchy.

I did not loose that much weight but have managed to keep most of it off when I stay on track with this eating plan. Since I am single, I don't have other people in the household to worry about when I make my different meals. When I go out with others, I can also find something suitable to eat, usually a meat topped salad but most often never totally primal (processed salad dressing, meats that are not prepare our way).

Keep up the good work.

HELL YEAH! Set a new deadlift PR - 300 lbs.! I need to get an Olympic barbell set. The standard set I have now won't last much longer as I continue increasing the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by perennialpam View Post
    Congratulations. It is difficult to believe someone could take off 100 lbs in a mere +4 months! That is wonderful/amazing. I work with so many folks who need to do the same but feel I cannot approach them but would love to inform them about this marvelous way of eating and reducing. Too touchy.

I did not loose that much weight but have managed to keep most of it off when I stay on track with this eating plan. Since I am single, I don't have other people in the household to worry about when I make my different meals. When I go out with others, I can also find something suitable to eat, usually a meat topped salad but most often never totally primal (processed salad dressing, meats that are not prepare our way).

Keep up the good work.
    Thanks!

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skorpion317 View Post
    I enjoy reading about Paleolithic humans. I find the subject very interesting, and I feel it helps give me a deeper connection to the Paleo/Primal lifestyle.

I just finished reading the book "Cro-Magnon: How the Ice Age Gave Birth to the First Modern Humans" by Brian Fagan. Great book, very informative. A few of the things I read in it were surprising. The main prey item of the Cro-magnons was the reindeer. They would set up at strategic points along a reindeer herd's route - a narrow canyon or pass, a riverbank, etc. and kill as many animals as they could. As time went on, the Cro-magnons developed an advanced tool kit. They developed spears with breakaway tips. They would launch spears at an animal, and the tip would break off after wounding the animal. The hunter could then retrieve the spear shaft and mount a new tip on it in a couple minutes. I thought that was really interesting.

During the Ice Age, their lifestyle was closest to that of the Eskimo/Inuit. Winters could last about 9 months. During this time period, people may have only eaten about a cupful of vegetables per year. Meat and fat were staples. It sounds like they dried most of their meat, and fat was eaten separately. They traded with other hunting bands, sometimes over long distances. I just watched a TV show about the Eskimo/Inuit where members of two tribes met up to trade. One group brought walrus meat, since they were a coastal tribe. The other group were inland caribou hunters, and they brought hides. The groups traded their goods, shared a meal, and sat around the campfire telling stories and jokes. You can imagine the Cro-magnons doing the same.
    Very interesting stuff! Keep posting cool things like this (with the reference) cause I'd be interested in reading some of them too.

Quote Originally Posted by Metric View Post
    Very interesting stuff! Keep posting cool things like this (with the reference) cause I'd be interested in reading some of them too.
    A couple more interesting things from the book:

- Neanderthals and Cro-Magnons would visit certain caves over and over again. Neanderthals seemed to use them for habitation, while Cro-Magnons apparently used them as spiritual places, where they made cave paintings and perhaps performed rituals.

- The artistic ability of the Cro-Magnons was amazing. Google "Paleolithic cave art" for examples. The artists had a good grasp of depth and perspective. They would draw certain animals (lions, for example) in 3-dimensional rows, as if they were hunting in packs. At one cave (Altamira, I believe) an artist painted a larger-than-life size bison, while still keeping the proportions correct.

- One of the earliest known mythical creatures came from the Aurignacian culture of about 30,000 years ago. It was a small carved figurine, depicting a man with a lion's head. Other similar creatures appear in cave paintings much later.
    Last edited by skorpion317; 05-10-2012 at 05:57 AM.

These are Australian Aborigines, photographed in 1939:

Check out the abs on the older guy in the middle!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Down to 216.8 lbs, 29.8% BF! Had a good sprinting day. I fit back into XL t-shirts (was up to 3XL at my biggest).

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast