Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: From Civilization to Caveman - Skorpion317's Primal Journal page 5

skorpion317 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm seriously considering entering a Grapplers Quest tournament in late October. My work schedule is switching up for the next 2 months, so I'll have more time to get some quality BJJ training in. I'd be entering in the Men's Beginner No-Gi division (9-18 months training). I have less training time than that, but they don't allow people with 2+ years of wrestling experience in the Novice class (9 months or less training). I wrestled all 4 years in high school and 1 year in college. I'm going to drop down to about 180-185 lbs. I have to get down to 180 anyway to reach my body fat % goal, so this will provide some incentive.
    "Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."

It's been a while since my last update. I inadvertently took 2 weeks off from exercising - the 1st was a planned rest week, and then I got sick and took an additional week off. I started lifting again last week. I started at 25 lbs. less than my previous workout weights, to ease myself back into it.

I bought a foam roller. I'm kind of surprised at how well it works for muscle soreness. I've been using it after every lifting session and Brazilian jiu-jitsu class. If you don't have one, go buy it now.

Haven't updated in a while. Still working on getting my body fat down to ~15%. I'm still lifting. Still setting deadlift and squat PRs, working on getting my bench back up. I'm still doing Brazilian jiu-jitsu, and actually started training with the gi after doing no-gi for the last few months. The gym I train at (AMA Fight Club) breaks its gi classes up into beginner, intermediate and advanced, while no-gi classes are for all skill levels. Doing the beginner gi classes allows me to train with people my own skill level, and will make my jiu-jitsu more technical.

I signed up for deliveries from Suburban Organics (Suburban Organics - Organic Produce Delivery, proudly serving the East Coast). They offer a great selection of organic, local produce (in the NJ/PA area). Much better than the supermarket stuff. My culinary skills have improved significantly, since I have to learn how to cook a variety of new vegetables I haven't eaten before.
    Last edited by skorpion317; 10-29-2012 at 08:07 AM.

Primal Primate is offline Senior Member
    Hey skorpion317,
    I just read through all five pages of your journal - I hadn't intended to but your story is pretty damn inspirational! Thanks for the unintentional kick in the ass to keep going on the right path.
    “There are only two options regarding commitment, You’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Anonymous

"Das Beste oder nichts" - Gottlieb Wilhelm Daimler

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Primate View Post
    Hey skorpion317,
    I just read through all five pages of your journal - I hadn't intended to but your story is pretty damn inspirational! Thanks for the unintentional kick in the ass to keep going on the right path.
    Thanks! Glad I could be of service. Keep up the hard work!

Oh boy - time for an update.

All was well for me until Hurricane Sandy hit the East Coast. I live in NJ, which got hit pretty bad. No flooding for me (I don't live near the coast), but we did lose power for a week. Kind of hard to stay Paleo when your fridge doesn't work.

I had a bunch of "on" and "off" days in the weeks afterward. I was going to make a concerted effort to get back on track. The universe conspired against me, however. I was playing in my family's traditional Thanksgiving football game, rocking my VFFs and kicking ass. Then I badly sprained my toe while covering an opposing receiver. Maybe the VFFs weren't such a good idea.

The sprain hurt like hell. My toe got all swollen and purple. I could barely walk for over a week. Even just standing hurt. Working out was out of the question - no weight lifting, no Brazilian jiu-jitsu, no sprints. Not good. It still hurts a little even now, if I put pressure on it a certain way.

My diet went completely off the rails. I've been eating crap SAD stuff for the past couple months. I ballooned up to about 245 lbs. Not cool. I knew I had to go back to eating right. Thankfully, my town provided some extra incentive. They're running a "100-day weight loss challenge" with a couple other surrounding towns. Winner gets a $100 Visa gift card. The first weigh-in was Monday, 2/4/13. The other "competitors" I saw when I weighed in were mostly middle-age or older people, some with health issues like diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. I should have no problem winning this. Cocky? Maybe. But I'm pretty sure that eating Paleo/Primal gives me a significant advantage. We were given an information packet that included stuff from the government's "MyPlate" program. I hope that after I win, I'm given the chance to explain how I did it. I'll start by tearing up the MyPlate paper.

In other news, my wife and I are expecting our 2nd child, a boy, due in May. Our 1st son is now 19 months old. He's the best kid - I could not be prouder of him. He's starting to piece together two-word sentences ("Hi dada!" - whenever he sees me. "Get you!" - when we play chasing games). I can't imagine what it will be like with two little boys running around.

One month in to the weight loss challenge, and I've dropped 20 lbs. so far. That's a little over 7% of my starting weight. Last year's winner lost 13% of their starting weight, so I'm already more than halfway there with 2 months to go.

I'm lifting again - I'm not too far off of my previous 5RM and 3RM weights. The weather here in NJ has been screwy - it'll be 50 degrees during the week, then drop into the 20s or low 30s on the weekend. Not conducive to sprinting. I can't wait for spring.

The weight loss challenge continues. I'm down a total of 25 lbs, a little over 10% of my starting weight. There's a mid-contest weigh-in on April 9th to check everyone's progress. I expect to be in the low 200's by then, if not 200 lbs. flat.

I'm concerned about losing muscle. I've lost a few lbs. of muscle since I started, although I've been regaining my previous strength quickly. I decided to do a Leangains protocol to see if that helps. I started today. No issues with fasting, as I've experimented with IF before. Fingers crossed.

Quick update - The Leangains-style IF wasn't really working for me, although it may have been due to the need for a leptin reset. I may try it again later, but for now I've resumed my normal eating routine.

The subject of Paleolithic humans and the world they lived in has always interested me, which might explain why a Paleo diet appealed and made sense to me. I was doing some reading about the various animals that existed in Ice Age Europe (I'm an American of European descent), and I'm amazed that ancient humans not only survived encounters with some of these animals, but actively hunted them. And considering they were using wooden spears with stone or bone points, or atlatls with thinner darts, it's pretty clear that ancient humans were total badasses. Here's some of the Ice Age European fauna:

Cave bear:

These bears were comparable in size to the largest modern-day brown and polar bears. Males could weigh up to 1100 lbs. Humans may have hunted them occasionally, and also competed with them for living space in caves. (I own some cave bear teeth - really cool to hold something so ancient!)

Cave lion:

Ranged from Europe all the way east across Asia to Alaska. Up to 10% larger than modern-day African lions. Cave art suggests they hunted in packs, as modern African lions do. They preyed mostly on reindeer and other plains animals, but they also may have ventured into caves to attack hibernating cave bears. They were hunted by ancient humans, their remains being found in the refuse piles of ancient camp sites.

Cave hyena:

Much larger than modern hyenas. They mainly hunted wild horses, along with bison and woolly rhinoceros. Cave lion and bear remains have also been found in cave hyena dens, indicating they either scavenged on them or killed them. They stole kills from Neanderthals. Fossil evidence shows ancient humans hunted them.

Woolly mammoth:

The most famous Ice Age animal. About the same size as an African elephant. They were hunted and scavenged upon by ancient humans and Neanderthals. Their bones were used for art, musical instruments, dwelling construction, even burial rituals. The last mammoths survived until 4,000 years ago, on Wrangel Island near Siberia. This was about the time the pyramids were built in Ancient Egypt.

Irish Elk:

One of the largest deer that ever lived, its antlers alone could span up to 12 feet and could weigh 90 lbs. The animal itself stood almost 7 feet tall at the shoulders and could weigh up to 1,500 lbs. Ranged from Ireland to Siberia. They died out 7,700 years ago.

Aurochs:

The ancestor of modern cows. They were larger than most modern cattle breeds, weighing up to 3,300 lbs. They were hunted by ancient humans, probably using pitfall traps. The last known aurochs died of natural causes in 1627 in Poland. Modern Spanish Fighting Bulls are similar in appearance, but smaller.

Millersoontobelite is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    good to see someone who had a similar weight to start with succeeding. i started at 333 and am 270. i want to be 220 or so. cheers to you
    a
    SW 333 PBSW 308 CW 254

79 pounds down 54 pounds from primal

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast