Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: From Civilization to Caveman - Skorpion317's Primal Journal page 4

skorpion317 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Ditto, but still much less than it was last year. Getting there slowly.
    Always seems like the last few pounds come off a lot harder than the first few (or few dozen).
    SW (1/4/12): 326 lbs. (48% BF)
    Steak and Eggs SW (5/11/13): 198 lbs.
    CW (6/2/13): 185.4 lbs. (??% BF)
    GW: 185 lbs. (~15% BF)
    0.4 lbs. to go, ??% BF to go

Had Brazilian jiu-jitsu class last night. We got worked pretty hard - an amateur MMA fighter at the gym has a fight today and needed to cut some weight, so we had a more intense warm-up than usual and did a lot of drilling. As always, we did some live rolling near the end of class. We do 3 5-minute rounds, switching partners after each round. The first round was against a more experienced grappler. I took him down, but he was able sweep to mount, then took my back and worked for a choke, which I tapped to. We went again, and he took a shot. I sprawled and looked for a guillotine, but time ran out.

2nd round was against the MMA fighter. I've rolled with him before. He's pretty good. Needless to say, I spent the next 5 minutes trying to defend against various submission attempts. He eventually got me with a triangle/armbar combo.

3rd round was against a decent jiu-jitsu guy. I've rolled with him before, and the first submission I ever got on somebody was against him. The round started, and he tried to pull guard. He's very flexible, so he likes to work submissions from guard. I stayed out of his guard, though, and easily passed to side control. I got ahold of his arm, locked in an Americana and got the tap. He was a little frustrated with himself for giving it up easily. We went again, and he came at me like a madman. He tried for a guillotine before transitioning to my back and working for a choke. I defended against it for a while, and he then tried for a guillotine again. That gave me an opening to take him down. He started working a half-butterfly guard, but I passed it and locked in an arm triangle for the tap. We went again, and again he pulled guard. He started looking for a triangle, but I passed to side control and quickly locked in a kimura for the tap. This has been my best performance to date.

HELL YEAH! Weighed in today at 199.8 lbs.! First time under 200 lbs. in about 9 years. I still need to get my body fat percentage down, and to do that I have to drop another 20 lbs. of fat, and add 20 lbs. of muscle. The hard part's over, but the journey continues.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Way to go! You have got to be just lovin' life these days!
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    Way to go! You have got to be just lovin' life these days!
    I've always loved life, I can just enjoy more of it now!

ctj
    ctj is online now Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skorpion317 View Post
    ..<snip>...
    As far as workouts go, I lift weights Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday are rest days, but I stay active, going for walks or bike rides. I walk long-distance and run sprints on Sundays. I just started doing Brazilian jiu-jitsu, which I'll be doing on Tuesdays. I also just started doing SimpleFit as a supplement to my weightlifting.

I do intermittent fasting one or two days a week, usually Friday and maybe Sunday. I just skip breakfast those days. I take a multivitamin every other day to cover my bases in case I'm not getting enough from my food. I also take saw palmetto and fenugreek every other day. It's supposed to help boost testosterone.
    I saw your before/after pics on the Success Stories forum. You are looking great!

i would urge you to reconsider the use of Saw Palmetto. Saw Palmetto is usually used by older men to deal with enlarged prostates. I don't know of any way it could boost testoterone, except by inhibiting the conversion of Testosterone to DHT. But DHT is a much more potent androgen, so where is the benefit. In fact, there are many disaster stories of men who have used finasteride (Propecia) and had irreversible side effects. Finasteride also inhibits the conversion of testerone to DHT (much more strongly than Saw Palmetto does, probably)
    The road to wisdom? -- Well, it's plain, and simple to express:
    Err and err and err again, but less and less and less -- Piet Hein

Quote Originally Posted by ctj View Post
    I saw your before/after pics on the Success Stories forum. You are looking great!

i would urge you to reconsider the use of Saw Palmetto. Saw Palmetto is usually used by older men to deal with enlarged prostates. I don't know of any way it could boost testoterone, except by inhibiting the conversion of Testosterone to DHT. But DHT is a much more potent androgen, so where is the benefit. In fact, there are many disaster stories of men who have used finasteride (Propecia) and had irreversible side effects. Finasteride also inhibits the conversion of testerone to DHT (much more strongly than Saw Palmetto does, probably)
    I'll look into it. Thanks for the heads up!

In other news, I was on vacation last week, and took a break from eating Paleo and working out. I packed on a few pounds, but it was mostly water weight. I got back in the saddle on Monday, picking up right where I left off. Set a new PR for my deadlift yesterday - 300 lbs. (1x5) and 315 lbs. (2x3). 300 lbs. was my 1RM in early May, so I'm pumped to pass that milestone.

I'm thinking about getting into indoor rock climbing. I watch a lot of "Ninja Warrior" (any other fans here?) and a lot of the competitors do it. Rock climbing looks like a lot of fun, and I've done it once or twice when I was younger, so I figure I'll give it a shot. If anyone has any tips, I'd appreciate them.

PRESENT DAY - Northern NJ, USA: Patrick (that's me), a 27-year old man, goes to the high school in his town to run some sprints. He doesn't pay ridiculous NJ property taxes for nothing. He warms up by walking two laps around the track, doing some dynamic stretching as he goes. Then he walks onto the football field, and does a couple light 50-yard jogs.

20,000 YEARS AGO - Western Europe: Grok, a 27-year old man, heads out to hunt. He walks along a game trail, keeping his eyes open for any tracks or signs of prey. He walks about a half-mile when he hears some rustling in the bushes nearby. He notices wild boar tracks on the ground. Slowly, he stalks towards the bushes, careful not to startle his prey.

Patrick finishes his warm ups, then does fourteen 50-yard sprints, taking 15-30 seconds between each sprint to catch his breath. 14 is a new PR for him since he added sprints to his routine.

Grok spots the boar, and stalks closer to it. He's almost within striking range, but just then the boar notices him and takes off. Dinner's getting away. Grok explodes forward - his family isn't going hungry tonight. He sprints after the boar, and starts to close in on it. He raises his spear to deliver the killing blow-

Patrick noticed when he walked onto the field that somebody (probably the football team) left a tractor tire on the field. He decides to do a little impromptu tire-flipping. He flips it 20 yards down, then 20 yards back, and calls it a day. He walks another two laps around the track to cool down, then goes home.

Grok hoists the freshly-killed boar over his shoulders, and begins walking back home. On the trail, he comes upon a large rock in his path. It's big, but he can probably move it. He sets the boar down, goes over to the rock, and flips it end over end until his path is clear. He pick up the boar again, and continues on his way. He hopes his wife found some eggs for breakfast...

Patrick gets home, and has scrambled eggs and bacon for breakfast.

Grok gets home, and has scrambled eggs and fresh pork belly for breakfast.

Had BJJ class last night. I went up against a guy who's been at my gym for a while, but who I haven't rolled with yet. I took him down, and got into his closed guard. He started working for a triangle choke, which I like because I can get out of those relatively easily and pass to side control - which I did. Once in side control, I started working for an Americana. My partner rolled to the side I was attacking, taking most of my leverage away. I used my body weight to turn him back, and continued working for the Americana. Again he turned, so instead of turning him back I pulled his arm away from his body, giving me just enough angle and leverage to twist the arm for the tap. Afterwards, he said to me "Holy shit, you're strong! You don't look like it, but goddamn you're strong!" That made me feel pretty good, and also reminded me of something I told another member here on MDA:

"Would you rather look strong, or actually BE strong?"

Didn't have a great workout yesterday. I was doing deadlifts, using my usual routine - 1x5, then 2x3 +15 lbs. I started at 325 lbs., got it up no problem. I moved up to 340 lbs. for the 3-rep sets. On the 1st set, it was tough, but I got the weight up. When I went to do the 2nd set, I couldn't lift the weight. No problem, that's happened before. I usually just take a few deep breaths, mentally regroup, and then jack the weight up. Tried that - no good. Odd. Take a few more deep breaths, try to focus on on the lift. 3rd attempt - nothing. 4th and 5th attempts no good either. What the hell? I remove some weight and go back down to 325 lbs. Couldn't lift that either. I was very confused. My legs felt a little jittery, but not like jello. I've been making steady progress for the last 2 months, never been stopped cold by a weight. I'm kind of confused. I'm going to take next week off from lifting, see if the recovery time helps. My last break was at the end of July.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast