Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: From Civilization to Caveman - Skorpion317's Primal Journal page 3

jtfisher63 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    It's more of making sure I have fresh vegs, fruits and precooked meats for lunch. It's not really hard, I just need to keep up on it.

skorpion317 is offline Senior Member
    Had another BJJ class last night. We worked on takedowns, and learned how to sweep to mount from guard. Also learned how to do an armbar from guard. Then we did some live rolling for 30 minutes. I did a little better this time around. I was able to break my partner's guard a couple times, and even managed to lock in a guillotine choke. I didn't do it well, but I was able to readjust my body to tighten it up and get the tapout. Then my partner proceeded to kick my ass for 10 minutes. I'm having a lot of fun doing this. Can't wait for the next class!
    SW (1/4/12): 326 lbs. (48% BF)
    Steak and Eggs SW (5/11/13): 198 lbs.
    CW (6/2/13): 185.4 lbs. (??% BF)
    GW: 185 lbs. (~15% BF)
    0.4 lbs. to go, ??% BF to go

Had another BJJ class last night after a week off due to a cold. The Thursday BJJ class focuses on takedowns. I did pretty well here, thanks to my wrestling background. I'm still not very good once we hit the mat, though. It's only my 3rd class, so I don't know how to escape from certain positions, or how to set up a submission from a dominant position. I'm one of the bigger, stronger guys in the class, so most of my partners are smaller than me. Last night, I spent most of my time going up against a partner of similar size/strength to myself, and we spent most of the time trying to outmuscle each other. I got myself caught in a couple stupid submissions in the process. Good learning experience.

I need to add more muscle and get my body fat percentage down. I want to get down to about 15%, but I've been hovering in the 28-29% range the last couple days. Not bad considering I started off at 48% body fat. To get down to 15% at 200 lbs., I'd have to lose 30 lbs. of fat and put on about 20 lbs. of muscle.
    Last edited by skorpion317; 06-01-2012 at 06:18 AM.

In my quest for body recomposition, I've turned to whey protein to add extra protein to my diet. I've been strict Paleo since I started (excluding the occasional cheat meal), but it seems like I'd have to eat a ton of food to have enough protein to add muscle. I went with Jay Robb's whey protein. It's low carb - only 1g. I just mixed it with a cup of full-fat milk and drank it with dinner. I have no physical issues with dairy, so this should hopefully work out well for me.

BJJ class last night. Got my first legit submission! I had a good roll with a more experienced grappler. I took him down and got into half guard, but he was able to recover full guard. He did a good job of breaking down my posture, and threatened with a couple kimura attempts. Eventually he managed to sweep me and get into mount. I defended as best as I could, using the survival technique shown in Saulo Ribeiro's "Jiu-Jitsu University" book. My partner went for an armbar, and for the first time I didn't panic. Thanks to the book, I knew how to defend this as well. I got out of the armbar and started to sweep my partner. He tried for an odd leg choke, but I was able to get out of it and moved into side control. I had control of his right arm, and locked in an Americana, forcing him to tap.

I also went up against my instructor, a purple belt. He took me down, and took my back. He tried to work for a rear-naked choke, which I defended against. I rolled so we were in a sitting position, then scooted my hips down as shown in "Jiu-Jitsu University." My instructor was unable to get the choke, so he had to switch positions and work for a guillotine, which I tapped to. He complimented me afterwards for my defense. As long as I last longer with each class, I'm happy.

I changed up my lifting routine. I had been doing basically just deadlifts, bent-over rows and upright rows, along with some push ups. I did this Monday-Wednesday-Friday. I hadn't been benching because I didn't have a spotter, and I'd never really done squats as part of my routine.

Now, I've divided my routine into two workouts, which I alternate. Still lifting Monday-Wednesday-Friday.

Workout "A":
    Bench press
    Squat
    Bent-over rows

Workout "B":
    Deadlift
    Upright rows
    Shoulder push ups

For the three "big" lifts (bench, squat, deadlift), I do 1 set at my 5 rep max, then increase the weight 15 lbs. and do 2 sets of 3 reps. It's basically following the "Rule of 90%", where strength gains are made by lifting at or above 90% of your 1 rep max. I'm doing 92%. I started doing it last week with my deadlift, and I'd say it worked - I struggled last week on the 2x3 sets, but this week, I put up the weight no problem. I'll keep track of my progress here.

In other news, my son turned 1 year old yesterday! It's crazy how quickly time flies. He's starting to walk, so I'm sure I'll be getting a good workout chasing him around.

I put this up in the "Before and After Pics" thread in the Success Stories section, but I figured I'd put it here too for anyone who's following along:

Baloo is offline Senior Member
    Great progress. Subscribed to your journal following your post in before and after. I'm afraid I appear to be the death knell on journals though. Soon as I start following one people stop posting.

Trawled through looking for your height because you look lower than 26% BF to me (not that I'm an expert, just comparing to me - I'm 6' 2" and about 210 lbs). Noticed you said on your scale to measure BF. Scales are meant to be very inaccurate, you thought of measuring yourself with a tape measure and inputting into an online BF calculator? Still not the most accurate but I think you're lower than 26%.
    Last edited by Baloo; 07-08-2012 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Great progress. Subscribed to your journal following your post in before and after. I'm afraid I appear to be the death knell on journals though. Soon as I start following one people stop posting.

Trawled through looking for your height because you look lower than 26% BF to me (not that I'm an expert, just comparing to me - I'm 6' 2" and about 210 lbs). Noticed you said on your scale to measure BF. Scales are meant to be very inaccurate, you thought of measuring yourself with a tape measure and inputting into an online BF calculator? Still not the most accurate but I think you're lower than 26%.
    Thanks! I'm 5'10". I know that scales aren't the most accurate when it comes to measuring body fat. I'm pretty sure I'm over 20% though - I still have a decent amount of belly fat I need to get rid of.

Baloo is offline Senior Member
    Ditto, but still much less than it was last year. Getting there slowly.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast