Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hurt back from deadlifts page

billp is offline Senior Member

Hurt back from deadlifts

Shop Now
    Over two weeks ago I felt something bounce out while I was was trying to do a deadlift. I stoppped and felt fine soon after. Didn't hurt, just felt like a wrong movement.

The following week I achieved my highest ever deadlift. Felt fine.

Since then (over a week) gradually my back has got sorer and sorer, even though I am resting it and only walking. Even a few days ago I was fine just making sure I sit up straight in my office chair, but even that is now uncomfortable. Last night I found the most comfortable way to sleep was to put a pillow under my back, to raise it. This morning I felt stiff, something unusual for me. When I stand around I have the urge to lean backwards.

Am I overcompensating for putting my back under so much strain and making it sore by sitting so upright and with the small of my back against the lumber support of my chair? Or have I done some horrible injury to my back? I thought it would get better by now, nine days after my last deadlift, not worse.

MightyMouse is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you need to take a break and see a doc.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMouse View Post
    Sounds like you need to take a break and see a doc.
    I will if it is worse tomorrow. Have been taking a break already (9 days now). I wonder if I haven't been making it worse by being so straight-postured - effectively putting my back under unused-to tension.

MightyMouse is offline Senior Member
    Have you gotten a new chair lately? Sometimes they can cause problems.

No, same chair as always - upmarket Herman Miller affair. I am sure it is deadlift related. I think a week was not long enough last time and that I should avoid trying to lift the heaviest possible straight out, and not worry about lifting lighter. I might flat out avoid deadlifts for a while until I feel much better.

Do feel a bit better since going to the park in my lunch break and lying flat on the grass in the sun. Maybe will try sleeping on the floor tonight if I am not comfortable.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Is it just stiff and sore or do you have shooting/sharp pain depending on your angle? From the sound of what you described, you might have pulled a muscle.

The heavier and heavier your DLs get the longer the recovery time. I have noticed that 7-10 days isn't unreasonable to recover from DLs.

If you start back, I would definitely reset down to something easy.

Another thing that I had read on mobilityWoD was try to avoid sleeping on your stomach. This totally screws my lower back. I don't know what your routine is like but I also do hyper extensions as a support exercise for DL and it has helped.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    is the pain in a muscle or in your spine?

Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    Is it just stiff and sore or do you have shooting/sharp pain depending on your angle? From the sound of what you described, you might have pulled a muscle.
    Just stiff and sore. No shooting pains, just gets painful if I sit or stand still for some time. I find myself wanting to learn over on my side to put things in the dishwasher, which is ridiculous.
    The heavier and heavier your DLs get the longer the recovery time. I have noticed that 7-10 days isn't unreasonable to recover from DLs.

If you start back, I would definitely reset down to something easy.
    When I start dong them again it will definitely be less heavy, or if I go for a maximum it won't be the max every week. I take your point about needing longer to recover than a week. I think I didn't leave it long enough at a week - that was the first day I felt up to going back to the gym. Maybe I wasn't very warmed up too - only walked there to warm up, about ten minutes.
    Another thing that I had read on mobilityWoD was try to avoid sleeping on your stomach. This totally screws my lower back. I don't know what your routine is like but I also do hyper extensions as a support exercise for DL and it has helped.
    I normally sleep on my back or side, but side is now uncomfortable. I will try sleeping on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    is the pain in a muscle or in your spine?
    Probably muscle. I'm not sure how I would tell. Diffused, anyway.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post

Probably muscle. I'm not sure how I would tell. Diffused, anyway.
    really? the answer to this question trumps all other questions. if you pulled a muscle, then you treat it one way. if you herniated a disc, then you have a whole other set of problems

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    really? the answer to this question trumps all other questions. if you pulled a muscle, then you treat it one way. if you herniated a disc, then you have a whole other set of problems
    I don't really know how I would tell them apart. Back feels a little bit better after lunchtime lie down in the park.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast