Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rasputina Rocks Out page 4

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Rasputina!

I have really liked your responses to other stuff on this forum, and decided to track you back to you here.

A job with books?!?!? I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU! The kids and I all have library cards to 4 different libraries at any given point on the space-time continuum! Our Mecca is the Library of Congress! I could almost have an orrrrrrrganism every time I go into a place that just reeks of paper and book bindings and book leather. I honestly get all wild-eyed. The kids just call it "Uh-oh". My bumper sticker should read "BRAKES FOR ANY AND ALL BOOK PILES" (and I do).

Re the youthful thing - my curse is exactly the opposite. I don't have a wrinkle to my face, but I have been totally white-haired (from medium brown during childhood and adolescence) since about 30. That means I spent my 20's salt-and-pepper. I won't, but my daughters will, commit heinous acts upon the living if they have to hear any more inquiries directed my way about how many other grandkids I have...

Good luck with the dream job!

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Hi Rasputina!

I have really liked your responses to other stuff on this forum, and decided to track you back to you here.

A job with books?!?!? I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU! The kids and I all have library cards to 4 different libraries at any given point on the space-time continuum! Our Mecca is the Library of Congress! I could almost have an orrrrrrrganism every time I go into a place that just reeks of paper and book bindings and book leather. I honestly get all wild-eyed. The kids just call it "Uh-oh". My bumper sticker should read "BRAKES FOR ANY AND ALL BOOK PILES" (and I do).

Re the youthful thing - my curse is exactly the opposite. I don't have a wrinkle to my face, but I have been totally white-haired (from medium brown during childhood and adolescence) since about 30. That means I spent my 20's salt-and-pepper. I won't, but my daughters will, commit heinous acts upon the living if they have to hear any more inquiries directed my way about how many other grandkids I have...

Good luck with the dream job!
    Thanks, sweet Crabbcakes!

I've come out of my self-imposed ban, to just say that I had my interview, and it was suggested, during my interview that I should apply for another position, in Children's Library management, because I had experience. I want out of my fucking box. I hate the public. HATE THEM. Oh, what can I do to convince people that I really just want to be in a room processing books? I know I'm talented, and good with the public. I'm also a damn fine actress. I give up. No more smiling. No more projected self-confidence. I need to get away from dealing with the public- stat.

Well, stinky, pathogen-laden ratfarts!!

Does that mean you were denied the job because they are calling you overqualified? Or were you denied the job because they really want you in Children's? They probably are inseparable. Sorry to be so obtuse, but it has been so long since I interviewed for anything. All of the jobs I ever had were illegal-immigrant-level labor, or they were transfer stuff I had at a large brokerage firm way back when.

Yea, the public sucks. I have started to tell my daughters that I am coming to believe that humans should not live in high concentrations: like rats in studies, we acquire mental illnesses and then begin to cannibalize each other... (sweet thought, I know). I live so far out there that the locals think it is a traffic jam if four cars are at a four-point intersection (honest!), and I think their antisocial tendencies are rubbing off after 7 years.

Sigh. Not that I know my arse from a hole in the ground, but could you head off into archiving some private foundation's collections?? My oldest daughter will probably go into Library Sci, and we have been bopping around the related fields. Any passionate hobbies you have where you could be gloriously happy cataloging, say, Elvis's memorabilia?? (Elvis fan here...)

I secretly am jealous of you - I have yet to get any college degree at all, and you have an MA. But I will get there. Since I brought four girls into this world, I chose to give up some autonomy until they are grown... then it will be a degree in German Studies, and off to Europe!

Hope you are having a glorious week!

well, they haven't called to tell me I didn't get the job, yet. The job I applied for is in a different library. I have my current library job, only until August ( last year I worked for a school library, and quit, because I need a career with room for advancement and benefits). I would need yet another master's degree, in Library Science to do most archival/university library jobs. I do make some extra money by selling my artwork and art modeling, but not enough to keep me afloat, of course. My husband currently works a full-time job and a part-time job, so we'll live, even if I don't find a job right away.
    I really want a career. I really hate dealing with the public- it puts me out of sorts and the anger leaves little time for dreaming and creativity.

It'll all work out in the end- I'm a toughie.
    P.S. please don't be jealous of my MA- if I could do it all again, I would have done it differently. Live and let die, right?

Damn it all to hell, I'm drinking a beer. New Planet's gluten-free "Off Grid Pale Ale" is delightful. I had a great conversation with a seven-year old today at work. We lamented that most of the popular children's books in fantasy and sci-fi are geared towards boys. I told her about a great movie, "The Worst Witch," starring Fairuza Balk, as the awkward young witch with amazing potential (a pre-cursor to Potter). We discussed how girls are often still relegated to "princess" status. I told her about Xena. She wants to be an engineer. We shook hands and she said we'd talk again, next week. I have hope for our future.
    Last edited by Rasputina; 06-29-2012 at 05:37 PM.

I don't feel like eating lately. I should be hungry, but the thought of eating makes me ill. I try to force feed myself, but it makes me feel sick. Oh appetite, where have you gone? I make delicious food, just wish I wanted to eat it. Meh.

Update: didn't get my dream job. They sent a form letter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputina View Post
    Update: didn't get my dream job. They sent a form letter.
    Well - shit! I would have hired you in a heartbeat on the strength of your posts here! They must be dumbasses or something...

I'm not trying to be hurtful or anything, but I once read a job tip that said if you don't get the position you want, go back and ask why, with the attitude of asking them for information on how you could improve your chances / interview skills, etc. - the article quoted a few people who had done that and the company still didn't hire them, but did give relevant info.

If you were close enough I would give you one of my Mike's lemonades...

edit - not that you can't interview well, but you might find out the thing that tipped the scales whichever way
    Last edited by Crabbcakes; 06-30-2012 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Well - shit! I would have hired you in a heartbeat on the strength of your posts here! They must be dumbasses or something...

I'm not trying to be hurtful or anything, but I once read a job tip that said if you don't get the position you want, go back and ask why, with the attitude of asking them for information on how you could improve your chances / interview skills, etc. - the article quoted a few people who had done that and the company still didn't hire them, but did give relevant info.

If you were close enough I would give you one of my Mike's lemonades...

edit - not that you can't interview well, but you might find out the thing that tipped the scales whichever way
    Aw, oh my god, you are so sweet! I might be able to nurse my wounds over a frosty Mike's Lemonade, lol! Well, I think one of the reasons I didn't get the job is that I was competing with a slew of people with Masters of Library Science degrees. Competition is fierce out there! I'm sort of in the strange position that I'm very good at many things, but my main jobs have been focused on dealing with the public, something I hate. I was a freelance journalist for a bit, very, very successful with it, but my editor wanted me to write snarkier and snarkier entertainment pieces, even at the expense of others, and I flatly refused. I can be funny, but I don't want to funny, if it means saying hurtful things about innocent people, you know? This was my moral struggle when I was in advertising- peddling bad products and schmoozing assholes is not my forte.

Again, thanks for your support, and encouraging words- they really do help

I wouldn't write hurtful pieces or peddle crap, either. I like the work hubby does - environmental cleanup. Just positive stuff from front to back in that job. We had a biologist here three weeks ago doing endangered species studies - esp. regarding bats. So while we all are out in the woods with the mist nets, the biologist tells us how oil companies are required by law to do these studies, and so the biologists are hired so they can satisfy the requirements, but the biologists are pressured to, um, not really find anything...

Sigh... Now that I am older, I can understand why Prohibition was never going to work... more Mike's please!!

Edit - I must have had too many pork rinds - I can't write clearly...the biologist and hubby's work aren't related in this case...
    Last edited by Crabbcakes; 06-30-2012 at 02:52 PM.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast