Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did your tummy hurt? page

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

Hello all! I just started following a primal diet last Sunday (the 21st), and have been doing incredibly well so far. I was eating very "cleanly" for the past year or so before that, but of course getting in all of my good whole grains...and getting into the chronic cardio cycle that goes with it...more carbs, more calories, more cardio, more hunger...

Anyway, I poured over this website, and couldn't believe I had found a lifestlye that would encourage more play and less intense, draining, boring cardio while helping to prevent all the metabolic diseases caused by the western diet! So my husband and I jumped in, got rid of our pasta and oatmeal, and have been making some really wonderful meals. I've been feeling full and happy, when I do get hungry it's only a gentle hunger and not the "FEED ME CARBS NOW!!!" hunger I used to get every 3 hours on the nose.

My issue is this: I never had IBS before starting PB, but I have definitely been having "sour stomach" and IBS like symptoms for the past week and a half. I know because my hubby has always had IBS, and when I described my hurting tummy and ensuing...well...poo...he said that's what he's always had. I figured it was just my body transitioning, but it's been 10 days now, and it's been exactly the same almost every day. Is it the high proportion of fat? I was eating a good amount of monounsaturated fats before with avocados, nuts, and olive oil, and I recently switched to full fat (nonhomogenized) dairy including milk and greek yogurt, and raw milk cheese.

Here is my log from today: (note, I had greek yogurt this morning, hoping the probiotics might settle my tummy)

B: Plain Whole Milk Greek Yogurt with 1/2 cup blueberries/blackberries

Morning Snack: HB egg, 1/2 oz walnuts and 1 oz almonds

L: Chicken Leg (with skin) grilled (actually, the BBQ Chicken from the grilled section here!) and cobb salad with greens/HB egg/1 piece nitrite free bacon/red onion/half tomato/avocado (no dressing because I forgot it)

D: Beef kabobs (grass fed) with green bell pepper and mushrooms, drizzled with organic butter before grilling

Oh, and while making dinner I ate a tablespoon of organic virgin coconut oil.

This is the breakdown according to Daily Plate:

Cal: 1,573

Fat: 62.51%

Protein: 25.11%

Carbs: 12.38%

Yesterday was very similar, but with 1/2 oz of raw milk manchego and no greek yogurt.

I feel so satisfied, even now when I haven't eaten in 4 hours! I just want to get over this tummy issue, it kind of sucks. Any ideas??

Thanks for your help!

~Hannah

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

LabRat Guest

Not a doctor, but that sounds an awful lot like you might be lactose intolerant to me. Try cutting the dairy and see if you feel better?

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

I was also going to suggest lactose intolerance. I'm lactose intolerant and some things don't bother my stomach as much as others, but... oh man, I had cheese in my dinner and I can tell already. Makes me sad.

Maybe try cutting out dairy altogether for a few days and see how it goes, like LabRat suggested.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

musajen is offline Junior Member

I've been having an issue the past couple days with this too. At lunch yesterday I ate a spoonful of coconut oil and then made up a big salad with a spicy chicken (way too spicy). I figured my discomfort was from the spicy and just sorta suffered through. Dinner went over all right and breakfast and lunch today were good too. Then I opted to heat up the dinner leftovers from last night. While waiting for it to heat I helped myself to a tablespoon of coconut oil. About 15 min later after eating about half my dinner I was miserable again.

The only connection I'm seeing right now is the coconut oil and I'm wondering if I'm having to much of it in one go (have had smaller spoonfuls before w/o trouble). Or else I've just had two completely unrelated episodes, one from really spicy food and another from, I don't know, eating when I wasn't that hungry?

Who knows, but I'm going to pay more attention to how I feel when I have coconut oil. It better not be the problem!

RogerDeRok is offline Member

I never had any stomach problems after going primal. To be honest, I felt a lot better with going primal. I noticed that my trips to the bathroom became more infrequent and I had less gas (I know, too much information). I, like most people here, was gonna suggest taking it easy on dairy also. I've noticed that when I DO have gas or any type of stomach discomfort it's usually after having a lot of dairy, which I've definitely cut way back on in the past few weeks with positive results on my weight loss too.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I used to get bubble guts from time to time, and realized it was from my daily yogurt. My dairy has been reduced to the occasional rgf cheese or heavy cream in my coffee. No more bg's.

Hahahaha, no more bg's. Thanks all, I never had a problem with yogurt or cheese before (used to have 2 servings a day, and like I said, no IBS), only had issues with milk and ice cream. I suppose I have had either yogurt or .5-1 oz of cheese most days, though maybe only every other day. I'll have to look back at my Daily Plate stuff to see. Maybe I was always so bloated with the grains my body didn't notice the yogurt?? I have lost about 4 pounds (water weight I think) in the past 10 days, so I was hanging on to quite a bit of extra water or whatever it was!

Today will be a dairy free day! Actually I'll go for a few days and see what happens. Thanks again for all your input!

You are what you eat,

Okay so I just thought of something else. Could it be that I was eating 8-10 servings of fruit and veggies per day, along with pasta/grains for a total of around 30 grams of fiber per day? I'm down to about 14-18 grams of fiber each day now, since I haven't been eating much fruit (used to have 3-5 servings of just fruit, and am now having 1), and only 4-5 servings of veggies. What do you all think??

You are what you eat,

ChristinaP Guest

My IBS has always been triggered by sugar, even fruit, especially on an empty stomach. I have noticed my stomach can be upset from milk too, again, on an empty stomach. I have been drinking my morning coffee plain, and only eating fruit after meals, this has been working for me.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member

Yeah, dairy can do a trick on you. Ice Cream is my own personal quick-colon-cleanse - (there, now you don't have to feel all alone in TMI-ville, Roger) - but I knew that, so the only dairy I've eaten on primal is the good stuff. And by good, I mean uber-sharp, uber-aged, take-tiny-bites-or-it-will-kick-your-teeth-out cheeses. And then only in very small quantities.

But what did mess me up was my habit of swallowing food whole and letting it disolve on the way down. Lets face it, most processed carbs don't require a whole lot of chewing.

So that was an adjustment for me.

Meat.Requires.Thorough.Chewing.

Tattoo it on my plate.

My first two weeks on Primal were pretty miserable in that respect (though, otherwise, it left me feeling incredible in ever other way).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast