Thread: Hello from a desperate woman in the UK! page

Frannyfeet is offline Junior Member

Hello from a desperate woman in the UK!

Primal Fuel
    Hi there from Huddersfield, UK.

My name is Frances and I am 38 years old. *I have been overweight my entire life apart from maybe 6 to 8 months when I lost weight the first time I did Weight Watchers and then a couple of months when I did a shake only diet that was very low calorie.

My obesity dominates every facet of my life and is preventing me living the life I want. *I am 5ft 5 and weigh 190 lbs, so I am not super obese, but I am overweight enough to feel constantly crap about myself.

I read a book recently by an English Doctor called "Escape the diet trap" by Dr John Briffa and it turned everything I thought I knew about weight loss around and upside down. *He essentially advocates a primal diet.

On the 15th of April my husband and I started to eat a primal diet, I have lost 10lbs, but 7 of them went in the first few days. *Since then my weight has gone down an ounce or two every few days....I FEEL better and don't feel hungry, but I am so frustrated because I could lose more than that on every other diet I have ever tried and there's the rub..... *I want the primal diet to work because my cravings and hunger have gone, but the weight is not going.....if I swap to a traditional low fat calorie controlled diet I lose weight (whilst I stick to it) but I crave food all the time and end up giving in after a few weeks.

So now I am stuck, depressed and confused....what am I doing wrong? My husband is losing the weight pretty quick, he lost 1lb only yesterday whilst I did not lose 1 ounce.

In a typical day I will eat (this is what I ate yesterday)

1-2 ounces of nuts (brazils, almonds, cashews etc) - breakfast

200ml greek yoghurt - lunch

1 pork chop - dinner
    cabbage
    mashed cauliflower
    1tbsp carrots

100g pineapple & apple - desert

2 tbsp cashews - snack

And like I said the scales have not moved in a week!

I am drinking water and sweetened (artificial) tea or coffee during the day. *I have had zero alcohol, sugar, carbs since the 15 th of April.

Do you think I am doing something wrong? *Do you have any advice you could give me please? I jog 2 miles (well walk and jog) 3 times a week on my treadmill too.

I don't know what to do.....I am desperate to lose 2lbs because then I will be the lightest I have been in 2012, but I can't even lose 2 ounces at the moment!!

I want to weigh 150 lbs, so have 40 to go.....like winning the lottery, I fear I will never achieve the weight of my dreams.

Many Thanks

Frances

billp is offline Senior Member
    I never lost an ounce of weight from jogging or cycling. I have only ever lost fat by eating lots of meat and animal fat (and I mean lots, between 20 and 50 per cent by volume), some green veg, and severely restricting carb intake, particularly grains and sugars. I find even with this it is necessary to have the odd carb feast otherwise gradual weight loss stalls. And I have found it impossible to combine with weightlifting, which makes me so hungry I gradually get fatter (as well as stronger). I believe it is also important to get enough sleep, but I am not very good at that.

No doubt other people will have more detailed advice.

Goosejuggler is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frannyfeet View Post

1-2 ounces of nuts (brazils, almonds, cashews etc) - breakfast

200ml greek yoghurt - lunch

1 pork chop - dinner
    cabbage
    mashed cauliflower
    1tbsp carrots

100g pineapple & apple - desert

2 tbsp cashews - snack

And like I said the scales have not moved in a week!

I am drinking water and sweetened (artificial) tea or coffee during the day.
    First of - congrats on finding primal and losing the weight!
    Secondly - and this is the most important point - being primal/paleo isn't a race, and it's not just about weight loss. This is about you and your husband being happy and healthy together for decades to come

I could recommend some changes to your diet though.
    - Eat more! You aren't getting enough calories.
    -If you don't feel like breakfast when you wake up, that's cool, don't eat until you do. But when you break your fast, you should have something more substantial than yogurt and nuts until dinner time.
    - drop the fruit. When I first started paleo, I only ate fruit once or twice a week. I'm not demonising fruit, but I swab it out for some raw veggies instead for a post-dinner snack.
    - get some fat in there! I'm talking butter on your veg, fatty meats, avocado, scrambled eggs. Coconut oil!
    -ditch the artifical sweetener. If its chemical, then it's incredibly un-primal, and if its stevia then you might be setting yourself up for sugar cravings.

Exercise - read up on chronic cardio. Try doing some sprints instead of your jogging. Its way more fun! You and the hubby can race. Also, I recently designed a 3x weekly beginner strength routine for my mum and her fiance, PM me and I'll send you it

Good luck, and be patient!!!

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    My first take, you're not eating enough but you're eating a lot of nuts. Also, are you doing any weight training or interval workouts? Have you read PB or signed up for the newsletters on the MDA blog? Doing both of those will give you a better idea of what to do.

Keep in mind this is a lifestyle and not a lose weight quick scheme. Slow weight loss is the kind that will stick with you over time, so don't be in such a hurry. I've only lost 11lbs in 15 weeks and am at a similar place to you (183lbs, 5'4"). But I lose in spurts and am just focusing on eating healthy and getting in some exercise with the knowledge that it'll even out as I go.

lissee is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't know what to do.....I am desperate to lose 2lbs because then I will be the lightest I have been in 2012, but I can't even lose 2 ounces at the moment!!
    The stress is a killer. It triggers hormones that make your body put on weight and/or not drop it. Try walking away from the scale for a while. And just try focusing on quality of life and the journey you're on. I haven't lost quickly, but I've lost consistently. For the first time ever in my life, I've been losing, and losing again and again. (But only 30 lbs so far.) So don't lose hope, just keep it up.

Back in February, I stalled as well. For about three weeks straight my weight went up and down the same 2 lbs. BUT, I was shrinking. My pants kept getting looser and looser, while staying the same weight. I find that I go on mini-plateaus. I stay around a weight for a little while, and then I'll just drop a few pounds in one go. Then I'll hover around the next number. After weighing daily for about three months, I finally walked away from my scale. The daily weight tracking was driving me crazy... my advice? Walk away, and pay attention to how your pants fit better each time you put them on.
    Last edited by lissee; 05-07-2012 at 05:02 AM. Reason: clarification